Author Topic: Photos of Spring 2016 taken by the WeatherCat community.  (Read 9320 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Photos of Spring 2016 taken by the WeatherCat community.
« on: January 30, 2016, 10:53:20 PM »
Dear WeatherCat "shutterbugs", . . . .

Okay, perhaps insisting on photos with our weather instruments is a bit restrictive, so perhaps we should have another photo thread which we all should be able to participate (at least eventually.)

Of course spring may feel like a very long way off for some of you, but perhaps that is even more of a reason to start a thread like this.  Some of us live in places where in a way summer lasts all year around and in desert locations, you shouldn't brink around spring or you might miss it!

Anyway, even with all the rain northern California has been having, a few trees have managed to come out in blooms:

For those of you staring at mountains of snow, may this remind you that spring will come to you eventually.  For those of us where hints of spring are already starting to show up . . . . . get those cameras out and start clicking!!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Photos of Spring 2016 taken by the WeatherCat community.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 01:17:19 AM »
Spring!!? We have 3 feet of snow on the ground, 6 inches of which fell this afternoon.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Tiny yellow flowers (Re: Photos of Spring 2016)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 10:36:35 PM »
Dear WeatherCat "botanists,"

This thread has already become bittersweet, but I noticed some very tiny yellow flowers growing apparently wild on a hillside at the base of someone's driveway.  This morning I finally walked over there with my camera.  Here is a view of the multitude:

Here is a close-up view of the blossoms:

These are very small flowers - a fraction of an inch.  I would have expected it not to difficult to identify the species but after two attempts I came up empty-handed.  Anybody recognize these little flowers?

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 04:52:39 PM »
Hi Edouard

Not entirely sure but my latest copy of Jane's suggests it may be an example of:

Minorem notum California siccitatis primula.

Hope this helps.  [interesting]

JC

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Hmm, a suspicious species . . . (Re: Photos of Spring 2016)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 11:48:32 PM »
Dear JC and WeatherCat "botanists,"

Not entirely sure but my latest copy of Jane's suggests it may be an example of:

Minorem notum California siccitatis primula.

Hmm, that species seems conspicuously absent from any scientific records.  . . . However, typing it into Google translate does suggest an "alternative origin" for the species . . .

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 07:49:57 AM »
Hi Edouard

The nearest I can come up with based on the flowers and leaf shape, would be something like Grindelia hirsutula or Grindelia stricta venulosa or a member of that genus.

JC

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Acacia and daffodils (Re: Photos of Spring 2016)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 10:06:18 PM »
Dear JC and WeatherCat looking forward to spring types.

Still no rain . . . .  :(  so I took some photos of the flowers that are going gangbusters in the warm weather.  First off our Acacia tree:

Next a traditional sign that spring as sprung - daffodils:

These are of the miniature daffodil variety.

The nearest I can come up with based on the flowers and leaf shape, would be something like Grindelia hirsutula or Grindelia stricta venulosa or a member of that genus.

Actually this may be a case of a domesticated plant that "escaped into the wild."  It reminds my Mom of a ground-cover that was popular in the 1970s.  The original color of the flowers was pink, but other colors might have been created.  I made a search for ground-cover, but I couldn't find anything that looked like it either.  However, that's my best guess for the moment.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Plum trees already beyond their prime (Re: Photos of Spring 2016)
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 10:45:25 PM »
Dear WeatherCat "shutterbugs", . . . .

The weather in California isn't doing much to help the flowers put on their best display.  The storm this week was severe enough to really do a number of the flowers that were already in bloom.  Here are some daffodils that are showing some the effects of the extreme weather:

On Tuesday of last week only the earliest of blooming trees were in bloom.  By today most of the early bloomers were already past their prime.  Here is a group of three plum trees that still look decent:

I have one more picture taken in the challenging situation of a backlit tree.  I used the Canon EOS 70D built-in HDR feature to capture this image:

With the HDR setting at 2 EV, the image does capture something of that iridescent effect I was seeing.

I know that the Vernal Equinox is a full month away, but no matter what the weather does, I think California's spring will be short-lived.  So I hope someone will be willing to take up the baton of this thread, because in perhaps as little as another week or two, spring will have already passed in northern California.

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Killing two birds . . . . (Re: Photos of Spring 2016)
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 11:41:45 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs, . . .

Isn't anybody else seeing signs of spring somewhere in WeatherCat land?

Well, I'm running ragged as usual, so I'm finding much time to take photos of spring either.  However, I try to make a point to take at least a few photos of my trusty wagon among spring flowering trees.  This year this is much more of a challenge because the problem I'm having with the fuel injection system makes her balky and a bit dangerous to drive.  However, the new electronics won't arrive until the end of this week and my wagon hadn't been out in two weeks, so it was best that she got a little exercise.  While I was at it, I took these photos:

Here is a view of the station wagon end of things:

The trees were almost used up and my wagon really needs to be washed.  Alas, with all these blooming trees there is pollen everywhere, so washing a car is futile.  So this was as good a set of photos as I going to get this year on this theme. 

Oh well, hopefully everything will work out better next year!

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. I know it's kind of cheatin' but these days I really need to save time so if I can appease two forum communities with one set of photos - I gotta try!

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Killing two birds . . . . (Re: Photos of Spring 2016)
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 04:04:54 AM »

Isn't anybody else seeing signs of spring somewhere in WeatherCat land?

I was last week while in Florida, but we're supposed to get 4-7" of snow tomorrow...
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Look at what crawled into the bird bath! (Re: Photos of Spring 2016)
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 11:03:25 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the seasons,

We have two elevated bird baths and 3 ceramic saucers designed to go under a pot that are on the ground to provide water for birds and other creatures.  Every morning I run around and refill all the baths.  This morning look at what I found in one of the ground level baths!

I don't think I've seen a salamander around here in around 10 years!  Even more incredible is that this bath is at the edge of a lawn and gets a fair amount of sunlight.  I have no idea how this creature managed to find it - never mind crawl in!

Since California has been in drought for over a decade, you would expect that amphibians like salamanders would be in real trouble.  Well, here is one that has managed to hang on.  There is a lot of talk about species going extinct, but considering the scenarios that brought about mass extinction events in the past, perhaps the ecologists are underestimating the tenacity of life on Earth.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 11:51:55 PM »
It probably crawled up on some of those grass leaves. I'd guess it's a male and maybe scouting out for a female. Of course, it could be a female scouting out a place to deposit some eggs! Who knows?

I just hope the Governor doesn't find out what you're doing with your allotment of water... :o
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
No bodies of water nearby. (Re: Photos of Spring 2016)
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 10:26:44 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat "naturalists."

It probably crawled up on some of those grass leaves. I'd guess it's a male and maybe scouting out for a female. Of course, it could be a female scouting out a place to deposit some eggs! Who knows?

What's really amazing about this is besides those bird baths which are cleaned periodically, there is no body of water where amphibians could lay their eggs for a fraction of a mile (as far as I know.)  So how this creature got here is really amazing.

I just hope the Governor doesn't find out what you're doing with your allotment of water... :o

[wink] . . . . Oh, I don't know, considering that our governor really is for the birds, he might think that I'm supporting his birdbrain policies! . . . .

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
First California Poppies of 2016. (Re: Photos of Spring 2016)
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 11:05:20 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs,

This afternoon I spotted the first blooming California Poppies I've seen this year:

Unfortunately, poppies cannot compete with tall grasses so they won't have a very good year.

Anybody else starting to see signs of spring?

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 03:16:42 PM »
Anybody else starting to see signs of spring?
Yep! The Forsythia have already bloomed and now covered with leaves, the Bull frog is croaking (not to be confused with 'dying') for a mate, good crop of weeds in the "flower" beds, Bradford Pear just peaked with their blooming, Dogwood won't be far behind.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system