Author Topic: iMac shutting down  (Read 25561 times)

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
iMac shutting down
« on: July 23, 2014, 08:30:08 PM »
Hi Cat family
 Well I have a problem here my iMac will just shut down just like you pulled the plug
Apple told me to reinstall mavericks so I DID CLEAN INSTALL but guess what it is still doing it has any one else had this problem? have any ideas CPU temp is at 106.9 so I don't think it is a heat problem
it seems to happen about every 4 days

thanks

cheers

[cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: iMac shutting down
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:47:01 PM »
Randall:

Sorry to hear this; it's so frustrating troubleshoot this kind of stuff. I sincerely hope it's not the logic board.

Here are two quick things to try:

SMC Reset
  • Leave power plugged in at wall outlet
  • Pull power lead out of the back of iMac for 15 seconds
  • Put it back in, wait 5 Seconds before turning it back on

If it turns on but gets stuck at another screen, Do a PRAM Reset:
  • Turn computer off
  • As soon as you turn the computer on hold down Command + Option + P + R
  • Continue to hold them down until you hear the starting chimes a seccond time
  • Let go of keys after the second set of startup chimes

Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Any other symptoms? (Re: iMac shutting down)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 10:45:35 PM »
Hi Randall, Blick, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Well I have a problem here my iMac will just shut down just like you pulled the plug

That sounds bad.  It sounds like some sort of hardware issue that isn't the hard drive.  Blick's advice is a good place to start.  If it is something to do with firmware, those resets should get rid of it.

It doesn't sound likely, but is there anything in the Console logs at the time when your computer shuts down?  Normally a Kernel panic will just cause the computer to restart, but it is worth a look.

If you have some diagnostics like Techtools you might try running that.  However, I must confess that even I stopped paying for the updates.  OS X really is as tough as UNIX it seems silly to have all those extra utilities that we once absolutely had to have in the OS 9 and earlier days.

Let us know if you come up with anything.

Good Luck!   [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Any other symptoms? (Re: iMac shutting down)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 10:51:39 PM »
However, I must confess that even I stopped paying for the updates.  OS X really is as tough as UNIX it seems silly to have all those extra utilities that we once absolutely had to have in the OS 9 and earlier days.

Isn't that the truth! In the early days, we had to have access to all the wee tinkering bits. Now we don't want to peek under the hood because when we do we have no idea what we're seeing.

?User? is the word used by the computer professional when they mean ?idiot.?
- Dave Barry
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 01:46:29 AM »
Hi Edouard and Blick
 I have already done what you said to do Blick thats the last thing AppleCare told me to do and now wait to see if it happens again if it does then they want me to take to Apple Store for there techs to check it out
And I have the latest TechTool Pro and DiskWarrior ran both of them they found nothing wrong the funny thing is it all started after upgrading to 10.9.4  [banghead]

but thanks for all of your helpful thoughts

cheers

[cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Could you "roll back" to 10.9.3? (Re: iMac shutting down)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 09:06:23 PM »
Hi Randall, Blick, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

The funny thing is it all started after upgrading to 10.9.4  [banghead]

Grrrr!!! . . .  >:(

I - really - don't like the way Apple forces us to upgrade OS X anymore.  Did you make yourself an emergency rescue USB "thumbnail" drive by chance?  If you did, odds are it would be an older version of Mavericks then 10.9.4.  That would be one way to back if you are running Time Machine.

The other way would be to save all your current data (WeatherCat and so on) and then you could have Time Machine restore your machine to the time when it was running 10.9.3.

Either option isn't fun at all and has plenty of risks.   :-\

Perhaps the best thing to do is to wait and see if Apple can figure something out. 

I suppose we all should get our version of Techtool current once more.  Things are not running as smoothly as OS X used to be.  . . . .  [rolleyes2]

Best of luck Randall!!  [tup]

Edouard

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 10:00:50 PM »
Hi Edouard
 ReInstalling the original OS X Mavericks put it all back to 10.9 and you don't loose your current data and settings
So after reinstalling everything as per Apple went into the system prefs and clicked in the power saving restart after a power failure
Guess what it restarted at 4:20 am so I went a done some exploring don't know yet but it maybe my APC Battery Backup causing all the problem so I unhooked it that just have a surge protector running will just have to wait and see but I read on line that another was having the same problem and it was his that was causing the problem

will just have to wait and see if it happens again

cheers

[cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
At least that's a potential cause. (Re: iMac shutting down)
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 09:34:37 PM »
Hi Randall and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I went a done some exploring don't know yet but it maybe my APC Battery Backup causing all the problem so I unhooked it that just have a surge protector running will just have to wait and see but I read on line that another was having the same problem and it was his that was causing the problem

Okay, at least that could be a possible cause.  If the APC unit cuts the power to your iMac, that would fit the symptoms you were seeing perfectly.  Do let us know if you find out anything more.  I for one have a couple APC Battery Backups in the house, so this problem may be headed my way!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 12:44:07 AM »
Hi Edouard
 Will keep you informed  just as the warranty goes off that seem to go bad so far it has done it again but it was usually 4 days a part but then the last time was just hours a part

cheers

[cheers1]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 08:32:22 AM »
Just a quick post, Randall. It's late, and I'm going back to bed.

I quit using APC long ago after my first UPS failed in less than a year. Then I read that the electrical components were not robust enough. Anyhoo, I started using Tripp-Lite. I've got 4 of them in use in the house. Only trouble I've had is end of life battery issues, solved quickly be a stroll down the isles of Amazon's search engine. I liked their UPS's so well that I started using their power strips, too. Good hardware.
Herb

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 12:45:59 PM »
Hi Herb
 Thanks for the heads up on Tripp-Lite power supply I have used there adapters and liked them so I will check in to those after I make sure that was the problem

cheers

[cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »
I've been using APC for years and have never had a problem. However, I do think things changed there after they were acquired by Schneider Electronics. They are less consumer friendly now and cater more to corporate users. Next time I need to replace I will take a look at Tripp-Lite. Thanks for the info Herb.
Blick