Author Topic: Attempting to move from Win XP to Mac  (Read 4593 times)

haydenc

• Calm
    • Duleek Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 currently running Weather Link on old XP machine
Attempting to move from Win XP to Mac
« on: September 04, 2015, 10:31:42 AM »
Good morning all.
New to to Forum so a bit about myself.
Living in Duleek near the east coast of Ireland.
Have been running a Davis VP2 for about 5 years and data normally goes out on Weather Underground as Duleek Weather
My 10+ year old Windows machine is close to the end of its life (keeps shutting down, posting notices that various applications have encountered errors and need to close) so I have decided to move my weather station to my Mac. Initially this seemed like a simple move.
The Data logger on the station is a serial port one so I have purchased a serial to USB cable (inc software) from Visionaudiovisual.com.
The Weather Link software for Mac does not support Solar info (which I have on my station) so no point in investing in that.
Am looking at Weather Cat as a replacement software but can't find on the site how you download the 14 day free trial.
I don't have a lot of skill in computers and so I am reluctant to jump into the change that is needed before the Windows XP system dies.
I am concerned about loosing the 5 years of weather data I have gathered on the windows machine. I have backed this data onto a USB drive in the hope that I can import it to the new system when it is eventually up and running.
So thats my story.
Any help or guidance will be much appreciated.http://athena.trixology.com/Smileys/default/cheer.gif
Charlie.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Attempting to move from Win XP to Mac
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
Charlie:

Welcome to the WeatherCat Forum and thanks for posting your question.

For your 14-day free trial:
  • Go to this page ==> http://trixology.com/weathercat/
  • Scroll down to almost the bottom of the page to the Download section
  • Click on the link to Download WeatherCat (V2.20, 24 MB)
  • Follow the instructions in ReadMe First
This will give you the full WeatherCat software, which will function for 14 days.
Blick

haydenc

• Calm
    • Duleek Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 06:31:27 PM »
http://athena.trixology.com/Smileys/default/banghead.gif
Well Blicj11, when you point that out its very simple.
How come I didn't see that myself.
Maybe I should sit in a dark room for while. It might be safe in there.
At least there I wouldn't publicly embarrass myself.
Now downloaded and running
Many Thanks
Charlie.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 08:21:22 PM »
Ha ha, we've all been there and done that. Have fun exploring WeatherCat.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: Attempting to move from Win XP to Mac )
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 09:27:52 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat welcome wagon . . . .

Welcome Charlie to the WeatherCat forum!

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you make this transition.  You'll definitely be happy with the improvement!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
  • It is far better to wear out than to rust away.
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 10:52:35 PM »
I moved from Weather Display for Windows to WeatherCat on the Mac in early July, and I'm glad I did. WeatherCat is totally stable and hasn't crashed once since I started running.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way of importing my six years of Weather Display data, but the data is still on my website, and Weather Underground.

Go for it, and good luck.

ALAN

haydenc

• Calm
    • Duleek Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 02:55:25 PM »
Afternoon all.
Thanks for the welcome Edouard and I do have quite a few questions but won't post any yet.
I have only gotten to page 35 on the manual and I am learning loads.
Very detailed and well put together document.
Surely Alan someone knows how to import the Weather Link data.
Its almost 3PM here in Ireland and so far today I have done nothing else other than playing with the software and reading the manual.
Have to stop and do some jobs or "she who must be obeyed" might say something.

Charlie

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 04:41:09 PM »
Charlie:

I've never been to Duleek, but I've been very close.  I visited Slane and I've been up and down the M1 and the N2 dozens of times. I even managed to spend a day in Malahide when the skies were blue and the winds were calm. Love your wee island.

My advice: Always obey SWMBO.
Blick

awilltx

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 06:13:28 PM »
Welcome!

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
  • It is far better to wear out than to rust away.
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 07:50:12 PM »
Surely Alan someone knows how to import the Weather Link data.

I'm sure it must be possible Charlie, it's just that I don't have the skills. I've just signed up for a years subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud so that I can update my website to the latest coding standards. I simply don't have the time to figure out how to import data.

ALAN

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 11:29:33 AM »
Welcome to the forum Charlie.

The simplest way to do it, is to find a copy of Lightsoft Weather Centre (LWC). This can import (some versions) of WeatherLink data files and WeatherCat will look for and import LWC data when it can't find the WeatherCatData folder - it assumes it's a first run, so looks for data to import.

I'd suggest quitting WeatherCat, making sure your WeatherLink data is up to date, then running LWC and importing the data. Next rename your existing WeatherCatData folder and then run WeatherCat, it'll see the LWC data and import it, then run as normal.

There's a few threads around here with regards to importing WeatherLink data via LWC, for example http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=486.msg4265#msg4265

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 12:42:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum Charlie.
The simplest way to do it, is to find a copy of Lightsoft Weather Centre (LWC). This can import (some versions) of WeatherLink data files and WeatherCat will look for and import LWC data when it can't find the WeatherCatData folder - it assumes it's a first run, so looks for data to import.

Hi Charlie

I think this link may help you get a copy of LWC. http://mac.brothersoft.com/lightsoft-weather-center-download.html

Welcome to the forum Charlie.  [cheer]

JC

haydenc

• Calm
    • Duleek Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 08:59:26 AM »
http://athena.trixology.com/Smileys/default/bounce.gif
So it can be done.
JC thanks for the link and WCDev thanks for the instructions.
Have been distracted from my new toy over the last few days but will be able to spend time here soon.
Duleek is only a small place and very easy to miss though Blicj11 you have travelled the roads both east and west of it.
And yes it is a beautiful country when the rain stops and the sun shines.
But then almost everywhere is beautiful then.
Thanks again for the help lads.
I suppose i had better subscribe soon and put money where mouth is.

Cha

how come my smileys don't show up ?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
how come my smileys don't show up ?

Instead of dragging and dropping the Smiley icon, just click it. The code will then appear where your cursor was placed in the message box prior to clicking on the icon. You can double check your post before submitting by clicking on the Preview button.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 03:50:46 PM »
Please excuse my tardy Welcome AboaRd, Charlie! I'm still recovering from a trip last month (already?!) to western Canada! That's where I was when you started this thread!

I hope I can remember as much about that trip as I do about our trip to the Emerald Isle! My wife and I especially enjoyed the Dingle peninsula! The most exciting 'drive' was backing up about 300 meters on the R559 as it turned north at Slea Head! :o We didn't know that the wide tour busses made that stretch a one-way lane (literally!) at certain times of the day!!! We did get a round of applause from the bus riders however! [lol]
[removed link to the now castly photobucket.com site]
http://www.maphill.com/search/dingle-peninsula/google-hybrid-map/
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:48:25 PM by xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system