Author Topic: So who is going to battered by hurricane Irma?  (Read 4955 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
So who is going to battered by hurricane Irma?
« on: September 08, 2017, 11:58:12 PM »
Dear WeatherCat extreme weather watchers,

Hurricane Irma has definitely caught the attention of most of the country.  Given its current trajectory, at least one WeatherCatter seems posed to get an awful lot of rain.  How are all you WeatherCatter dealing with the approach of Irma?

Definitely play it on the safe side!

Edouard

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: So who is going to battered by hurricane Irma?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 06:35:33 PM »
I am curious to a WeatherCatter report, too...

But as Edouard pointed out: Be safe when you are reporting!
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Western Tennessee looking soggy. (Re: Battered by hurricane Irma?)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 11:22:47 PM »
Dear Reinhard and WeatherCat observers of extreme weather,

I am curious to a WeatherCatter report, too...

But as Edouard pointed out: Be safe when you are reporting!

Well it won't happen until late Tuesday into Wednesday, but if Irma continues on track, Western Tennessee looks to be getting an awful lot of rain.  That would seem to put a certain former driver of Airbus aircraft into a decidedly damp situation.  What say you X-Air?

Cheers, Edouard 

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 12:36:52 AM »
I'm still watching the track. The winds aloft, as seen in Windy.com show the jet way north, so it won't be much help in pushing Irma, or what's left of her, eastward. Fortunately, we've had a bit over a week to dry out from Harvey, so the ditches, creeks, and rivers should be able to handle the rain. It will also help that it won't be in a position to draw liquid from the Gulf the way Harvey did.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Glad to hear it! (Re: battered by hurricane Irma?)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 10:11:25 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat inverse drought sufferers,

I'm still watching the track. The winds aloft, as seen in Windy.com show the jet way north, so it won't be much help in pushing Irma, or what's left of her, eastward. Fortunately, we've had a bit over a week to dry out from Harvey, so the ditches, creeks, and rivers should be able to handle the rain. It will also help that it won't be in a position to draw liquid from the Gulf the way Harvey did.

Glad to hear it!  The climate prediction center was suggesting that the South would be rather wet this Summer.  This time their outlooks were much more on the mark!

I hope neither your home nor your station will be any worse for Irma!

Cheers, Edouard

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 01:27:39 AM »
then we have Hurricane Jose also heading that way, but I guess that happiness comes later
 [banghead]
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 05:40:51 PM »
Irma is nothing more than a very disorganized area of rain, and mostly the low cloud variety. Light rain, mist and drizzle. Rain started about 2am, totals only .67 inches in 8 hours.

"She" actually seems to be still moving westward and back south. Looks like it wants to return to the Gulf! Lonely for it's home? [rolleyes2]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Jose remaining at sea for the moment (Re: Battered by hurricane Irma?)
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 10:50:39 PM »
Dear Weatheraardvark, X-Air, and WeatherCat hurricane watchers,

then we have Hurricane Jose also heading that way, but I guess that happiness comes later
 [banghead]

Not any reason to lower one's vigilance just yet, but Jose seems to be making a sequence of circles in the open Atlantic.  At the moment, it is not showing any inclinations to start moving toward to the United States.

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Anyone in harm's way of Jose? (Re: Battered by hurricane)
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 10:08:11 PM »
Dear WeatherCat extreme weather watchers,

After going around in a few circles, hurricane Jose at least threatened to plow up the Eastern seaboard.  The latest forecast for Jose's trajectory is further out to sea, but it is likely to bring some strong waves and heavy rains to the East coast of the United States.  Anybody in need of battening down the hatches?

In the coming attractions department, there is now tropical storms Lee and Maria.  Both are expected to take a similar trajectory to Irma and Harvey and head into the central Caribbean.  On the other side of the United States things are also active with tropical storms Norma and Otis.  It has definitely been a busy year for cyclonic disturbances.

Cheers, Edouard 

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Anyone in harm's way of Nate? (Re: Battered by hurricane)
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 12:24:28 AM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of extreme weather (preferably from a safe distance!)

Sure has been a busy Atlantic hurricane season.  I've lost track of some of them, but now hurricane Nate is expected to plow into Louisiana and Mississippi before drifting East.  Once more Tennessee is likely to get another dose of heavy rain.  Are there any WeatherCatters in harm's way of this latest storm?

Cheers, Edouard   

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 10:11:15 AM »
I have/had an 'interest' in a generic, small, nondescript lot in an aging 'development' in Pass Christian, MS. It has been, hopefully, been 'awarded' to the people who paid the taxes for it. ThU5:-) Although it is 7 feet AMSL, it is nothing more than a liability to the 11 remaining I inheritors, only one of whom are human! If Nate is as bad as Kitrina, a few of the pine trees may be downed and a few cubic yards of sand may be moved/removed/added. [rolleyes2]

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 02:57:16 PM »
Still getting rain from hurricanes while upper Montana had the first true blizzard of the season with 30 inches of snow in the Havre area. Can't help but wonder what this winter will bring to the eastern US. Just this past week I changed the oil in my snowblower, put in fresh ethanol-free gas, changed the air filter and spark plug, inspected the belts and adjusted tension on the tracks, coated the chutes with Ariens Sno-Jet. And picked up some new shear pins, I always seem to hit something every winter when helping neighbors get out after big ones. Last winter I was plowing out a neighbor who was away on vacation and managed to hit two newspapers which had been pitched on his driveway before the snow started. Naturally they got caught in the auger and sheared the auger pin. It was so tightly plugged up, I decided to drive the snowblower back to my garage where it was warmer. Spent the better part of an hour cleaning everything out and installing a new shear pin. A couple scrapped knuckles and a few choice words rounded out that job before I went back to finish clearing his driveway. Luckily, no more newspapers were found.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 12:03:30 AM »
Felix thanks for sharing your adventure whilst blowing the snow for your neighbour. No good deed goes unpunished.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Choose your poison . . . (Re: Battered by hurricane)
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 12:11:49 AM »
Dear X-Air, Felix, Blick, and WeatherCat folks who cope with the weather as best they can.

I have/had an 'interest' in a generic, small, nondescript lot in an aging 'development' in Pass Christian, MS.
. . . .

Doesn't sound like you have too much to lose in Mississippi, but it does sound like you are in for a period of wet weather early next week.

Still getting rain from hurricanes while upper Montana had the first true blizzard of the season with 30 inches of snow in the Havre area. Can't help but wonder what this winter will bring to the eastern US.
. . .

Bummer on your snowblower and the newspapers.  I see abandoned newspapers all the time on people's driveways.  Somehow it doesn't seem that difficult to dump then in the recycle can.

As to this winter's weather . . . . . . I absolutely agree with you - caution is the best policy.  I'm starting on the winter preparations and hope to be ready before we see the next "atmospheric river."  These has been coming with increasing regularity. 

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 07:11:32 PM »
Quote from: Felix
I changed the oil in my snowblower
What is "snow blower"? And why would you have "snow" all over your driveway (or a neighbors!)? [biggrin] You sound like the kind of neighbors we have around here. You are welcome to join us anytime, and we don't allow snow more than every other year! And ours must automatically melt/clear itself within 24 hours! Of course, even a half inch virtually closes all roads... I think people are so mesmerized by the falling flakes that they don't look further than ten feet in front of the car!  [snow]

As for Nate, latest forecast map shows lots of high pressure to our west & north, a cold front to push through with little precip. Had a few sprinkles this morning, not even enough to tip the bucket. We could use some rain after a nice dry harvest season! ThU32:-)