Author Topic: New Silicon Labs USB Driver  (Read 9955 times)

awilltx

New Silicon Labs USB Driver
« on: April 01, 2015, 02:04:32 PM »
Just noticed today that there is a new version 4.x USB driver. I took the plunge and downloaded, installed and restarted my iMac (with Yosemite) and have seen no issues or problems so far. By the way, the new installer now runs an uninstall script for the previous version. Also, there is no support for OSX 10.4.

After install, my version number for the driver shows as 4.1.1

Download page is here:

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

Cheers and good luck,
Alan

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: New Silicon Labs USB Driver
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 03:34:47 PM »
Hi Alan,

how did you run the uninstaller? And where can you see the version number for the driver?

Thanks,
Reinhard
Reinhard

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 03:53:42 PM »
Ok,

I installed the new driver and the Installer told me that installation was successful. WeatherCat is running as before, but Systeminfo shows me a SiLab driver version 1.0? The main thing is that WeatherCat works as before, and it does.  :)

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

awilltx

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 04:14:04 PM »
how did you run the uninstaller? And where can you see the version number for the driver?

Reinhard,

The uninstall script is built in the app (.pkg) as far as I know. There were no runtime messages to tell if it was successful.

To find your version number, head to "Software" and "Extensions" then scroll down to SILabsUSBDriver (see attached).

Good luck,
Alan

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 04:51:49 PM »
Alan,

thank you for pointing me to the right direction - found it in Software/Extensions and it reads 4.1.1 like yours!  ;)

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Release notes and uninstaller (Re: New Silicon Labs USB Driver)
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 11:50:21 PM »
Dear Alan, Reinhard, and WeatherCat Davis owners,

It turns out there is a set of release notes on the website:

http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/Software/Mac_OSX_VCP_Driver_Release_Notes.txt

The new driver dates from January 15, 2015

The notes also say there is an uninstaller command line script included in the package if a straight uninstall is needed.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 01:24:55 AM »
Appreciate the info on the new driver. Will have to download it and install. Thanks.

gb509

• Gentle Breeze
    • D6143
    • IGREATER38
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Daytime FARS Solar and UV, iMac OS 10.11
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 11:40:32 AM »
Also installed all well. If I recall correctly previously driver installs from SiLab required you to change security settings as the developer was not approved, now this seems rectified as being a identified developer

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 04:08:59 PM »
Thanks for the heads up! :) Just wondering how awilltx "noticed" that there was a new driver. Does Silicon Labs have a setting on their site to set that up? Perhaps 'registering' as a user of their products generates an update notice? I've gotten too lazy depending on Apple and my favorite app developers having update notices appear automagically! [blush]

I don't generally use un-installers unless I want to rid the machine of all traces of an app and its files. Even then, not all apps that even include an un-installer actually remove all their stuff. I did Quit WC for the few minutes needed to install the new drivers. I didn't even do a Restart, the new version showed up in System Info right away. I probably missed something in the installer notes about the "un-install" procedure. [banghead]

I do make an archive of as many of the old version's app, its prefs, and any other files I can find, before installing the newest versions. ;) It's always been easier to restore from my own archives than to hope they were included in Time Machine, SuperDuper, or Carbon Copy Cloner.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

awilltx

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 07:53:42 PM »
Just wondering how awilltx "noticed" that there was a new driver. Does Silicon Labs have a setting on their site to set that up? Perhaps 'registering' as a user of their products generates an update notice?

I have a bookmark for the page and flip by there from time to time. AFAIK, there isn't a way to register on their site nor is there a notice that a new version is available. You just have to rely on folks like me to keep you informed!  ;D

Cheers and good luck with everything,
Alan

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Did you reboot after installing? (Re: New Silicon Labs USB Driver)
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 10:47:37 PM »
Dear Alan, xairbusdriver, and WeatherCat system administrators,

I finally got around to upgrading this driver and was surprised that I wasn't told to reboot after installing the new driver.  I did anyway, it just doesn't seem right to fuss with kernel drivers without rebooting.  Did any of you try installing without the reboot?  If so, did it appear to use the new driver without rebooting?

Curious minds want to know, . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 04:28:05 AM »
Yep, as I mentioned above, I did not do a Restart, much less a complete Shut down and 'cold' start up. Since I had just Quit the System Information window, I though I would simply Open that again and look in the Extensions list. There was the new driver, version 4.1.1! I did quit WC before installing the new driver. And, I also made a copy of the old one and put it on my Desktop, in case the new one didn't like the rest of my System. The old one will be deleted tomorrow.

OTOH, Shutting down and Restarting is often helpful in eliminating trashed cashes... ;)

I will now be expecting Alan to keep us informed about updates to this driver from now on! I think he should get a bonus for doing that, of course! [cheer] [lol]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 06:22:07 AM »
Are you Ok with a 20% bonus? 'Cause right now he's getting nothing.

[cheers1]
Herb

awilltx

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 11:45:15 AM »
Bull Winkus, xairbusdriver and Edouard,

Are you Ok with a 20% bonus? 'Cause right now he's getting nothing.

According to my calculator app, 20% of nothing is still zippo. Still, the service was excellent, methinks.

I will now be expecting Alan to keep us informed about updates to this driver from now on!

And I shall! Just need your email addy, credit card info, zip code and whatnot.

Did any of you try installing without the reboot?  If so, did it appear to use the new driver without rebooting?

I did not try that, but give it a go and let us know! Seriously, I think the old one would still be cached, so best to reboot, doncha think?

Cheers and good luck with that install thing,
Alan

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »
20% does seem a bit excessive. After more careful, need I say thoughtful, consideration, I think 15% would be more appropriate. It's only marginally more difficult to compute, but that effort is the least we can do for such devotion to duty. When I need a 15% figure I use the old, but reliable formula: take 1.2864% and multiply that by 11.68224. Then follow the IRS rule to round to the nearest whole dollar.