Author Topic: Webcam  (Read 15604 times)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Webcam
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2015, 11:30:50 PM »
as long as you are not looking for anything Mac specific, there is a *vast* amount of knowledge about webcams on the wxforum.net

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=72.0

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2015, 05:20:13 AM »
I tried one of the low cost Chinese cameras first. The brand was SriCam but I found out that there is one manufacturer for most of the Chinese low cost webcams and they provide the same camera to lots of retailers. I never could get it to connect to my Wifi. It worked great cabled but I could not configure it to run on the network. Tech support with these Chinese vendors is a nonexistent mess. I was able to track down the manufacturer but they refused to provide support. They did give me the email for the retailer, who did not have anyone who could speak English. I eventually gave up and do not recommend you go that route. There is a reason why they are low cost. They say they will run on a Mac  but all software and documentation is for a PC.

I returned it and bought an indoor Sharx and I love it. I had it set up in 15 minutes and it gives you the ability to turn off the power lights and other things that might reflect back through the glass at night if you are shooting out of a window.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2015, 07:34:41 AM »
I'm not using a cam with WC, so can't make any recommendations. However, ? just recently I replaced my network router and in the process discovered that Netgear has a consumer level "? 100% wire-free, weatherproof, indoor/outdoor HD home security camera ?" called the Arlo?.

Don't know much else about it.

[cheers1]
Herb

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2015, 10:48:03 AM »
Sharx SCNC3905 wide-angle.

At first I had the "standard" lens 3905 model but after being a tester for the prototype wide-angle version (still not being retailed, available direct), I swapped out my old cameras for the 3905 wide-angle prototypes.

Powered via PoE.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2015, 08:17:39 PM »
PoE can be simple and very stable method, not sure of the max distance of PoE as compared to simple Ethernet, need to do some searching... My problem is still putting a hole in the ceiling/wall intersection... at least in the room where most of our sleeping is done! Would you mind, Felix, using the poll to register your Brand? I'm going to edit the choices, somewhat, just listing the brand, not specific models. Some have complained about not having their model listed, perhaps a few more will make the effort to increase the value of the data.

Bull, that's exactly the name of one of the 'brands' at the Chinese site I mentioned elsewhere. They've put a lot of effort into building a site, but even that is inconsistent. I usually over-look any grammar/language problems; I speak/write absolutely no Chinese (or any of its many dialects!). But support is where most companies fall down. It may just be poor planning at best or lack of knowledge of Macs. Fortunately, many hardware companies are realizing that a web interface can be all the 'localization' needed for different hardware as well as world-wide access. And pixels can be a lot cheaper than paper!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system