Author Topic: Preview of Spring 2018  (Read 3042 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Preview of Spring 2018
« on: January 06, 2018, 10:15:05 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning,

I know you'all won't believe it, but look what I spotted on my morning tour of the neighborhood:

This is the very same tree that can be seen to the right in the photo that I posted last year to start the 2017 Spring photo season:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2403.msg23362#msg23362

This is the pink blooming tree to the right of the white blossoms in the center.  The one on the left is also blooming but the light wasn't good for photographing it.  The photo last year was taking on Groundhog Day, February 2nd.  So these trees are blooming almost a full month earlier than last.  I assume that the warmth of this past December allowed these trees to bloom so early.

If you don't believe it, I can't blame you - I can hardly believe it myself!   :o

Oh well,
. . .  . . . Edouard 

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Persistent - aren't they? (Re: Preview of Spring 2018)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 10:38:01 PM »

Yes, I can't believe my eyes either, but for the sake of documentation, here are same 3 plum trees in bloom that I photographed last year on groundhog day:

As you can see the white plum tree is now in full bloom and the two pink trees have some flowers.  I believe the one in the background may be just starting.

These trees are getting more sun than I recalled from last year, but it could have been the extremely wet weather that fooled me into thinking they were in the shade all the time.  Even so, there is a line of white plum trees across the street that get much more sun than these three trees.  I have no idea why these trees are blooming so much earlier than everything else.  The two pink trees might cross-fertilize each other, but the white tree most likely won't have any fruit because it bloomed so much earlier than any other tree of its species.

Definitely sign me as "confused in California" . . . . . .

Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Flowers for the Equinox (Re: Spring 2018)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 10:52:52 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the season's turning.

The Vernal Equinox is at 4:15 am Tuesday March 20th (UT).  Here is a web-page with the times for the Equinox all over the world:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20180320T1615&msg=March%20Equinox%202018

Since that will happen before my usual visit of the WeatherCat forum tomorrow, I've decided to post a few photos of springtime flowers from our area to at least remind everyone that Spring is actually coming no matter how cold and dreary your weather conditions look like at the moment.  Here is an old plum tree managing a few blooms underneath a small creek I've featured in past years:

March has been quite wet and cloudy, so plants will relatively small leaves like California Poppies have been slow to bloom.  However, they are just now starting:

Finally here are some yellow Oxalis flowers that were a bit soggy from the recent rains:

I hope that's a bit of spring cheer no matter what you see outside your window tomorrow.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
A tree going dormant after blooming? (Re: Spring 2018)
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 09:32:29 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the natural world,

Now that we are officially in Spring, I have a puzzle related to the trees that started blooming in January.  Here is a picture of the same trees taken today:

The two pink blooming trees in the background still don't have any leaves.  The tree that blooms white has just started to produce leaves.  If you compare its progress to the plum tree on the extreme left, it has barely started to produce leaves while the larger tree is almost in its normal leaf configuration.

I had thought that all three trees had somehow died shortly after blooming in January.  It would have been a surprise considering the mild weather, but it was possible.  However, clearly the white blooming tree is alive.  I've never known of trees that could bloom and return to being dormant for a while before finally sprouting leaves.  So this is definitely a new one on me.  Will the pink blooming trees finally come to life after all?  Stay tuned!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
April Pineapple express!! (Re: Spring 2018)
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 11:45:56 PM »

After a wet March we are continuing to have some impressive storms blow through.  Thursday through Saturday we had another atmospheric river event that was transporting water vapor equivalent to 25 times that of Mississippi river!   Because its source was near the Hawaiian islands it counted as a genuine "Pineapple Express."  As a result we picked up 2.33" of rain (58.2mm).  Since the seasonal rainfall is about 1.5" for the entire month of April we are already over 50% over the normal for the month!  Indeed, 2.33" exceeds all the rainfall we could expect through June, so any additional rains will further refill the totals and the reservoirs.

Yesterday, I passed in front of the same tiny waterfall under the old plum tree in the photos taken for the Equinox.  This time it has a serious flow of water falling over it:

It appears we'll continue to get rain for at least the next two weeks.  It is very unlikely we'll catch up on the lost rain of December and February, but every bit helps.  The longer rains continue into the Spring, the later one has to start watering in earnest.  That will further stretch our limited water reserves.

Let it rain! . . . .

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Preview of Spring 2018
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 11:49:55 PM »
You are pretty serious about "No Visitors" aren't you?! [lol] It might be simpler to teach the deer to read...
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Obviously . . . . . (Re: Preview of Spring 2018)
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 11:05:05 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat property owners,

You are pretty serious about "No Visitors" aren't you?! [lol] It might be simpler to teach the deer to read...

[wink] . . . . .  Are you kiddin'!! Have you looked at the educational ranking lately?  In California we are having a hard time teaching "humans" (or what passes for them) to read!! . . .  lol(1)

Unfortunately, deer or humans alike, keeping them out of private property takes stronger measures than simply relying on the "good nature" of others.  The deer can easily jump 10 feet if they are hungry enough.  The only really viable solution is to block their view of what is on the other side.  They won't jump if they cannot see what they would be landing on.  That's how we have managed to secure a small fraction of our yard.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
California Poppy season! (Re: Spring 2018)
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 09:23:26 PM »

Our location isn't really suitable for California Poppies.  They need rocky soil where grasses cannot survive but poppies can.  Still, with a little help they will make a brief display in the Spring before the temperatures get too warm.  Here is a group of poppies in a shady spot:

Here is a cute scene next to a fire hydrant:

This house recently remodeled their yard and these rock walls are excellent poppy habitat:

Finally, here is a group of poppies behind a large rock:

The contrasting blue flowers in the background provide spice to the scene.

The California Poppies will continue for a week or two depending on the weather.  However, as soon as the heat really start drying out the soil, they will hide until next Spring.

Enjoy! . . .  :)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
More poppies! (Re: Spring 2018)
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 11:29:52 PM »

Here are a few more California Poppies from around the neighborhood.  This example is clearly from a well cared for front yard and can hardly be considered wild.

Still, California Poppies basically cannot be tamed.  They show up were the conditions are right and attempts to cultivate them usually kills them instead.  Here is an example of a front yard that is more or less wild and the poppies are doing just fine:

Here is one more photo which might be poppies completely in the wild:

This sort of coarse and rocky soil is difficult for any plant to grow in - even poppies.  However, one they get established, they have very deep roots so they can cope with these conditions and come back year after year.

Enjoy!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Last blooms of Spring. (Re: Spring 2018)
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 10:14:53 PM »

May has been cool but dry.  There have been some off-shore wind events that have further dried out all the plants.  It is time for the last blooms of the season - wild mustard:

Today it has been cloudy and we even got 0.01" out of the drizzle.  However, besides the mustard the grasses are brown and turned to seed.  Monday may be the unofficial start of Summer, but here in California the dry season is definitely upon us.