Author Topic: Greetings from Upper Michigan  (Read 3209 times)

openvista

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW7933
    • KMIMARQU13
    • marquetteweather.com
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 with FARS on a Hackintosh
Greetings from Upper Michigan
« on: October 01, 2015, 12:07:25 AM »
I've actually been a WeatherCat user for a couple years now but finally made my way onto the forum. 

I just put together a new custom website: http://mqtweather.com. It's a responsive (mobile friendly) design, although I'm a developer by trade so the user interface is pretty basic. Not many graphics. Built for speed and usability.

I'm pulling XML data from CWOP and NWS to produce real-time weather alerts and get nearby temp data.

I'm liking the flexibility I get from the custom tags in WeatherCat. Once you figure out how the template system works and get the documentation on the tags, it's pretty straightforward. So thank you to the developer(s).

You'll see my exposure for the weather station is fairly sheltered as I'm in an urban residential area. But I think it's fairly representative for temp, humidity, precip. Wind is another story and I'm working on getting that anemometer placed on the garage roof. It's tricky because of snow and ice here. It's got to be somewhat accessible and yet it needs to be far up! We'll see....
Davis Vantage Pro2 with FARS | https://marquetteweather.com

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Greetings from Upper Michigan
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 01:33:03 AM »
Welcome AboaRd, Open Vista!

I must say, I've never known anyone with the name "Open"! [rolleyes2] [lol] Would you mind is we call you "OV"?

Not sure I could handle "frost" this early in the year! :o

As for the anemometer, I have an even more wind-protected yard. I found a way to get things a bit higher than the roof peak, but we don't allow snow to last more than 48 hours around here!! [rolleyes2] There are some people images in post #28 here: http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1632.15

Hope you enjoy the help and friendliness here as much as I do!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 08:56:42 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I took a look at your website and like your simple approach for mobile users. I also think your explanations in the About tab are quite helpful in explaining the purpose and value of your site. Good job!
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: Greetings from Upper Michigan)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 07:24:44 PM »
Dear OpenVista X-Air, Blick and WeatherCat welcome wagon, . . . .

First things first, welcome to the WeatherCat forum!!

I'm pulling XML data from CWOP and NWS to produce real-time weather alerts and get nearby temp data.

That sounds interesting!  Would you be willing to share how you implemented that?

You'll see my exposure for the weather station is fairly sheltered as I'm in an urban residential area. But I think it's fairly representative for temp, humidity, precip. Wind is another story and I'm working on getting that anemometer placed on the garage roof. It's tricky because of snow and ice here. It's got to be somewhat accessible and yet it needs to be far up! We'll see....

There is only so much we can do to get our instruments to collect good data.  However, the Davis VP-2 anemometer is a rugged device that doesn't need a lot of maintenance unless you have had enough blowing snow that you've seen it get iced up.  Is that your experience?  If so, perhaps indeed the garage won't be practical without some sort of walkway.

Let us know what your plans eventually become.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 08:35:51 PM »
Here's a quick and throughly expensive solution for combining maintenance and altitude! <Western Towers - Tilt Down Tower>

Various heights available:
20 to 80 feet. [check local ordinances!]

Wind Force:
Designed to withstand winds of 100 mph.

Ease of Maintenance:
Can be safely folded down to ground level for servicing [anemometers].

I'd suggest painting it a light blue color to help appease SWMBO. [rockon]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
If you have to ask? . . . . (Was: Greetings from Upper Michigan)
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 11:04:44 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat "I never have too many weather gadgets" types,

Here's a quick and throughly expensive solution for combining maintenance and altitude!

Hmm, it does look really slick and nifty.  But they don't seem very up-front about the price.  Is this one of those devices that if you have to ask how much it costs you can't afford it? . .   [biggrin]

I'd suggest painting it a light blue color to help appease SWMBO. [rockon]

[wink] . . . Never mind the small stuff!!  Explain to us how we can get permission from SWMBO to actually buy it! . . . .  [lol2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 11:16:19 PM »
Explain to us how we can get permission from SWMBO to actually buy it!
I find it's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Of course, I seldom follow my own advice, I usually request that from some one who knows what they are talking about... [rolleyes2]

As for the price, I forgot to mention that you should first own a railroad (Class 1, preferred)...  [banghead]