Author Topic: Dust from the Sahara Desert interfering with Atlantic hurricanes?  (Read 1758 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear WeatherCat observers of weather-related headlines,

There is an unusual report on Fox news about dust from the Sahara Desert reaching all the way to Texas:

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/07/09/how-african-dust-is-subduing-us-hurricanes.html

Oddly enough, the dust is so dry that is takes out sufficient moisture from parts of the atmosphere to interfere with hurricanes developing.  That doesn't completely prevent hurricanes from forming but it makes their formation that much less likely.  All this depends on the winds bringing the dust from Sahara which at the moment are unusually strong.

I suppose this could be added as another weather fact to your collection on WeatherCat!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: Dust from the Sahara Desert interfering with Atlantic hurricanes?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 12:47:26 AM »
Elagache
 Texas has it's own dust from the western half I know I was raised there I seen the wind so strong and so much dust that it would find a way to get in the house with all the doors and windows close. yeah back then they weren't insulated like they are today but still.

cheers

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dust is becoming more common. (Re: Dust from the Sahara Desert)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:25:30 PM »
Dear Randall and WeatherCat users getting a little weary of dust, . . . .

Texas has it's own dust from the western half I know I was raised there I seen the wind so strong and so much dust that it would find a way to get in the house with all the doors and windows close. yeah back then they weren't insulated like they are today but still.

I don't have any problem imagining your predicament.  The summers are definitely hotter and drier here in Northern California and that means more blowing dust.  Since you really cannot live with all the windows shut of course there is more dust in the house.  Definitely not the best thing for either cleaning or breathing.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard