Author Topic: Daily temperature range  (Read 2004 times)

Jvince

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: WMR200
Daily temperature range
« on: April 17, 2015, 09:23:16 PM »
Dear all

I'm still learning this fascinating software and I have today a question for you.

Is it possible to get the maximum/minimum temperature range in one single day?

I'm sure an Excel formula would find this data but you maybe know an easier way...

Thanks for your help
Jvince

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Not sure what you are after. (Re: Daily temperature range)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 10:59:47 PM »
Dear Jvince and WeatherCat tinkerers,

Unfortunately, I'm not clear on what you mean by "maximum/minimum temperature range" ?  Could you perhaps give us a example (hypothetical or otherwise) so we could understand what you are trying to compute.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: Daily temperature range
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 12:08:58 AM »
Like Edouard, I'm a little bit confused by your terminology but I'll make a simplistic assumption that you are looking for the max and min temps over a specified period. If so...

WeatherCat -->Tools-->Statistics-->Query-->During The Dates Below (type in applicable date/time/etc)-->select the applicable parameters and click Find

For 10 months out of the year, the results are what you'll see on Data Viewer/Editor +/- a minute or so. But during the two months when we change time, it gets screwed up and is off by an hour until the month rolls over. The developer is reminded of the problem twice/year with screen shots but we haven't seen a fix yet. Maybe it falls into the too-hard-to-fix category since I've never seen Stu address this aggravation beyond saying it's a DST issue.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 01:26:26 AM »

Again, not understanding exactly what you are looking for, you can check out a few things.

First, a report is automatically generated every night at midnight that shows the high and low temperature for very hour of the just-concluded 24 hours. It is called the WeatherCatDailyReport and you will find it at ~/Documents/WeatherCatReports as a PDF file on your local hard drive.

Second, WeatherCat | Tools | NOAA Style Reports | Monthly | April | 2015 will show you the minimum and maximum temperature for each day of the month and what exact time those temperatures occurred.

Third, WeatherCat can be set to email you a message at midnight, showing what the temperature was for every minute of the just-concluded 24-hour period. In other words, it will email you a table with 1440 entries, one for each minute of the 24 hours, displaying what the temperature was during each 1-minute interval of the day. This is set in WeatherCat | Preferences | Email |Daily Data Email.

Hope this helps.
Blick

Jvince

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: WMR200
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 09:53:18 PM »
Thanks all for your replies.

If you take the maximum temperature of a specific day and you deduct the minimum temperature of that same day, you get what I call the temperature range. In French we call this amplitude.

For example:

Day 1  Max 18?, Min 10? --> 18-10 = 8?
Day 2  Max 25?, Min 10? --> 25-10 = 15?

What I'd like is to get that data for every single day and then be able to make statistics on it (max, min, average, etc.)

Hope this is clearer now.

Thank you
Jvince

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Don't know of an easy way to compute that. (Re: Daily temperature range)
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 10:57:10 PM »
Dear Jvince, Felix, Blick, and WeatherCat tickerers,

If you take the maximum temperature of a specific day and you deduct the minimum temperature of that same day, you get what I call the temperature range. In French we call this amplitude.

Okay, sorry for my confusion.  I had the impression you were looking for two different numbers for each day and I couldn't imagine that.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a simple way to get that number.  If you were putting this information on a webpage, you can get the maximum and minimum temperature using the STAT$ tag.  Then you could use JavaScript to subtract the two number before displaying it on the web page.  Another way to get these values would be with a small AppleScript.  However, both those techniques are probably harder than creating an Excel spreadsheet to compute what you want.

You might make it a feature request for a future version of WeatherCat.  I would expect this to be a value that is used in meteorology, although it apparently isn't used in the NOAA style reports.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]