Author Topic: Photos of a short Spring in Orinda  (Read 5297 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Photos of a short Spring in Orinda
« on: April 16, 2015, 10:44:35 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs and drought watchers,

In a way, it has been "spring" since the end of December, but it hardly felt right.  Now in mid-April it feels and looks more like late May.  The temperatures are almost summer-like and everything is drying out rapidly.  Still we have a few patches of wildflowers.  I took my camera out to photograph one of my favorite flowers - California Poppies:

Here is a closer view of the same power pole scene:

These poor flowers won't last long though.  Here is a photo of some poppies competing with grasses:

You can see that the grasses are already turning to seed.  In another week or two the California hills will turn brown even if there is more rain.  Certainly looking like a long, hot, dusty, and miserable summer coming around here.

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Photos of a short Spring in Orinda
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 03:44:06 AM »
How does that hill remain there? Must be a near total lack of rain, else the street would be blocked by mud slides! I assume that is an "undeveloped" plot or the owner would be terracing the heck out of it! I have a friend down in Millbrae who used to send me beautiful pictures of the blooming wild flowers in the California Spring.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Yeah, that dry . . .(Re: Photos of a short Spring in Orinda )
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 10:47:28 PM »
Dear xairbusdriver and WeatherCat drought watchers,

How does that hill remain there? Must be a near total lack of rain, else the street would be blocked by mud slides!

Well, in a normal year we do get 25+ inches of rain, but compared to the rest of the country it isn't much.  It is comparable to some savannah grasslands of Africa.

Unfortunately I think it does contribute to California's drought problems.  There are a lot of people who move over here because it is so sunny.  That additional population is perfectly content when it doesn't rain.  Combine that attitude with a complete lack of awareness of how they actually have water and it is a recipe for apathy at best and hostility at worst to increase water reserves. 

I assume that is an "undeveloped" plot or the owner would be terracing the heck out of it! I have a friend down in Millbrae who used to send me beautiful pictures of the blooming wild flowers in the California Spring.

These are electrical utility right of ways.  That's why the region remains wild.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
Re: Yeah, that dry . . .(Re: Photos of a short Spring in Orinda )
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 02:42:10 AM »
Dear xairbusdriver and WeatherCat drought watchers,

How does that hill remain there? Must be a near total lack of rain, else the street would be blocked by mud slides!

Well, in a normal year we do get 25+ inches of rain, but compared to the rest of the country it isn't much.  It is comparable to some savannah grasslands of Africa.

Unfortunately I think it does contribute to California's drought problems.  There are a lot of people who move over here because it is so sunny.  That additional population is perfectly content when it doesn't rain.  Combine that attitude with a complete lack of awareness of how they actually have water and it is a recipe for apathy at best and hostility at worst to increase water reserves. 

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Edouard, same attitudes and blindness hear in Colorado- the water just magically comes from the faucet.  Kinda like all food originates from the grocery store.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 03:43:17 AM »

...all food originates from the grocery store.
HA! Even I know it really comes from warehouses!! [tup] I wasn't born day before yesterday!!!

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: Yeah, that dry . . .(Re: Photos of a short Spring in Orinda )
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 11:28:09 AM »
There are a lot of people who move over here because it is so sunny.  That additional population is perfectly content when it doesn't rain.  Combine that attitude with a complete lack of awareness of how they actually have water and it is a recipe for apathy at best and hostility at worst to increase water reserves. 

Out of curiosity, Edouard, are there stats showing the percentages of water used by the city/urban population versus other major users like the tech industry, agriculture, etc? I guess what I'm wondering is whether the mandatory water usage restriction on the population centers (lawns, car washes, swimming pools and the like) is actually targeting the correct segment to make the most impact on slowing the water reserve rate-of-depletion. I've heard nothing about any planned residential and/or commercial building permit restrictions and that would seem to be a way to help slow state population growth over the long term if population increase is a major driver in California water usage.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Dear HantaYo, xairbusdriver, Felix and WeatherCat drought watchers,

Out of curiosity, Edouard, are there stats showing the percentages of water used by the city/urban population versus other major users like the tech industry, agriculture, etc? I guess what I'm wondering is whether the mandatory water usage restriction on the population centers (lawns, car washes, swimming pools and the like) is actually targeting the correct segment to make the most impact on slowing the water reserve rate-of-depletion.

The mechanism of rationing is very carefully organized to minimize the number of unhappy - voters.  That's by far the main criteria.

Fox news did a careful analysis of the role of Jerry Brown who was governor during the 1976-77 drought and was reelected to be our current governor.  Even in the face of that earlier drought, Brown fought against increasing water storage capacity - siding with environmentalists, even if the population was growing rapidly and still is.

I've heard nothing about any planned residential and/or commercial building permit restrictions and that would seem to be a way to help slow state population growth over the long term if population increase is a major driver in California water usage.

What!?!?  restrict the inflow of - more voters?  Of course there should have been a building moratorium until the water supply was vastly - expanded.   This drought is already approaching the severity of the 1976-77 drought and the population was significantly smaller.  Tree ring data shows that, without any climate change, droughts lasting decades or more are a normal occurrence in California.   Right now there is one year of water reserve remaining.  What is going to happen if the drought lasts another 8 years or longer?

Supposedly we are a modern society guided by rational decision making informed by science.  Yet, this is just one of many circumstances were modern societies are playing Russian-roulette.  A decade long drought in California could bring the United States (and therefore the world) to its knees.  How many more times with a apathetic and disinterested public elect playboy politicians instead of tough-minded leaders?  I'm certainly not looking forward to finding out which is the next chamber to have a bullet in it.

Oh well,. . . . . . . . Edouard

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 12:21:34 AM »
Edouard,

Did you get any precipitation from the storm that hit Colorado? 

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Dry, dry, dry, . . . (Re: Photos of a short Spring in Orinda)
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 10:28:03 PM »
Dear HantaYo and WeatherCat drought watchers,

Did you get any precipitation from the storm that hit Colorado?

Sadly not a drop.  Worse still, models were suggesting that we might get a least a bit of rain mid-week and then a more substantial chance on the weekend.  Latest runs have backed off everything.  No rain at all during the week and only a slight chance of showers next weekend.  Given the trend, that may disappear as well.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 02:02:49 AM »
I think it may be time to forget about that oil pipeline and start planning on one for water. I'll warn you desert dwellers, however, it won't be cheap; to build or use. Of course, we in the wetter areas will have first dibs. OTOH, if the water well diggers keep going deeper and deeper, especially in the <Ogallala Basin>, there won't be any water to ship anywhere!

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 07:11:49 AM »
Edouard, I thought it might cheer you up to read an article about somewhere else's water woes. Here's the story from the NY Times. This article was published eleven months ago, but it goes to show that even where water is plentiful, politics can still create problems and increase costs. Detroit is in the middle of bankruptcy settlement, because the city's predominantly black population of voters fell in love with Kwame Kilpatrick for their beloved Mayor. He's now serving 28 years in prison, essentially for stealing what was left in Detroit's piggy bank while in office. Now, with the city in financial disarray, the surrounding townships are trying to distance themselves from financial ties.

Detroit Plan to Profit on Water Looks half Empty

Herb

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 09:44:26 AM »
I've had rain falling since a little before 6 p.m. Sunday (EDT) at a more or less steady 0.12 inch per hour rate with several periods when it was much more intense. Just a little under 1? inches total when I woke up...to find that one of my Sharx Security wide-angle 3905 webcams had lost PoE power at a little after 1 a.m. So I've got that on my plate after the rain stops and it gets light outside.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Aging infrastructure and climate prediction (Re: Short Spring in Orinda)
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 10:17:54 PM »
Dear Herb, Felix, and WeatherCat drought watchers,

Thanks for the reference Herb, it is an interesting situation that is hardly unique.  Our own water utility hasn't been able to keep up with the old pipes and as a result a fair amount of water is being lost from leaking water mains.  They are already exploiting the situation to raise the rates . . . . surprise, surprise . .  [rolleyes2]

I guess the rain is good for your Felix.  Alas, the forecast continues to be gloom and doom around here.  To quote the morning forecast discussion:

MEANWHILE...THE CMC AND ECMWF MAINTAIN DRY WEATHER CONDITIONS FOR LATE IN THE FORECAST PERIOD WITH WEAK RIDING OVER CENTRAL CALIFORNIA. OVERALL...CHANCES FOR MEASURABLE RAINFALL OVER THE REGION THROUGH THE END OF APRIL ARE LOOKING MINIMAL AT BEST.

Yet, the Climate Prediction Center as late as yesterday had greater than average chances for rainfall for Northern California from 6-14 days out.  It just changed this afternoon to agree with the medium range forecast models.  So sadly, predicting the climate remains very much a matter of hit or miss.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 10:32:07 PM »

Hi California water watchers

Well we could run a 36 inch pipe line from the Great Lakes and sell water to California and make some money  [biggrin]

cheers

[cheers1]

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 03:25:44 AM »

Hi California water watchers

Well we could run a 36 inch pipe line from the Great Lakes and sell water to California and make some money  [biggrin]

cheers

[cheers1]

I am sure California is willing to negotiate water for vegetables on your dinner plate  [biggrin]