Author Topic: *Sniff* . . da' darn "mellar-drama" continues!!  (Read 35354 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: *Sniff* . . da' darn "mellar-drama" continues!!
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2015, 11:48:52 PM »
Just ask them for the tracking number and the shipper; it may be a free exchange, but they should give you that info.

I haven't gotten any emails even if they have the old data logger already.
Not sure what you mean. I think you said they had received the old logger back in post #69. I thought they said it was an old one and they didn't normally "update" them, anyway. So they probably just put in the circular file. Are you expecting them to notify you of the status of the old logger, other than its arrival?
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Data logger finally shipping (Re: Darn "mellar-drama" continues!!)
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2015, 10:24:18 PM »
Dear xairbusdriver and followers of this darn "mellar-drama"

I called Davis tech support this morning and that appears to have finally gotten things moving.

Just ask them for the tracking number and the shipper; it may be a free exchange, but they should give you that info.

This afternoon I finally got the email I was hoping for.  It is shipping out this afternoon and since they are so close to me it should arrive tomorrow.  Hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll be back on the air!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2015, 11:26:34 PM »
Good thing Friday the 13th came on Monday this month... ;)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Hurray! On the air once more!! (Re: Darn "mellar-drama" continues!!)
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2015, 10:40:14 PM »
Dear WeatherCat subscribers to this darn "mellar-drama"

Hurray!!  :)  Fed-Ex came through with the new data-logger as promised!  It was actually a complete WeatherLink package . . . . for PC!!  (Anybody want a 4.65"" Frisbee? . . . .  ;D )

Nonetheless, I put the data-logger into the new Weather Envoy.  I then put in the batteries and got the first and second beep!  I went through the configuration walk-through using WeatherLink and then waited . . . . . .

In the usual period of time, the Weather Envoy was picking up the retransmitted signal from the console!   :)

So after being off the air for 5 days hopefully I'm back in business for good!

Thanks for your support!  [tup]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2015, 12:20:03 AM »
We're all hoping for your success! [tup] Hope it's a great, relaxing weekend for you... finally!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2015, 01:29:00 AM »
We need to hold our collective breaths until tomorrow, when you report back on whether or not you lost connectivity with the Envoy.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2015, 09:38:20 PM »
As the anticipation builds, we find our hero potentially on the cusp of a new era in weather status reporting?

Is it time for a press release yet?

[sun2]
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
The broken record continues . . (Re: Darn "mellar-drama" continues!!)
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2015, 10:48:42 PM »
Dear xairbusdriver, Blick, Herb, and WeatherCat subscribers to this darn "mellar-drama,"

And the answer is . . . . . more sensor errors . . . .  [banghead]

Here is the graph:

and here is the Data view:

It seems like I have been fighting multiple problems all along.  The old Weather Envoy was quitting at any old time.  The new Envoy seems to be having problems once more just after midnight.  That makes me suspect the hard-drives that I bought last summer.  I hadn't thought this through.  There are 3 computers in this room all of whom have their own dedicated backup hard drive.  I then added a 4th hard drive and put the two drives right next to each other.  I would expect that Time Machine will take advantage of after midnight to do some cleaning.  All these mechanical drives working hard at once, perhaps they do produce enough EMI to interfere with the signal from the console.

I decided to try to put as much space as I could between the Envoy and the hard drives.  I also tried moving them further apart since after all, one is daisy-chained to the other.  Stretching that cable out allowed me to get those drives far enough apart that they won't be generating a single signal from one location.

We'll see if this is enough to reduce the EMI to allow the Envoy to continue receiving even during the Time Machine "witching" hour . . . .

Stay tuned . . . .   Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »
Well, dang it. Let us know.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2015, 12:06:17 AM »
Awwww? So sad.   [banghead]   
Herb

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: The broken record continues . . (Re: Darn "mellar-drama" continues!!)
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2015, 12:33:17 PM »
All these mechanical drives working hard at once, perhaps they do produce enough EMI to interfere with the signal from the console.

Couldn't you just skip your backups for a day or two (disconnect and turn off power to the drives) or at least skip the post-midnight run and see if this "mellar-drama" continues through that particular timeframe?

The other thing that comes to mind, it looks from your profile you're using the Cat on a mid-2009 MBP. If you're running Yosemite on it, I think you're one model update away from the oldest laptop upgradable to 10.10. Is there any chance your backups, WeatherCat FTPs and other apps running, coupled with the OS's early-morning housekeeping functions, all happening at once in a post-midnight perfect storm might be bogging down your MBP to the point where this "mellar-drama" just looks and quacks like a duck...but isn't a duck?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
For the moment no issues.(Re: Da' darn "mellar-drama" continues!!)
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2015, 10:30:43 PM »
Dear Blick, Herb, Felix, and WeatherCat subscribers to this darn "mellar-drama,"

No problems overnight with the new drive arrangement.  I'll just have to watch the situation and see if this indeed finally cures the ills once and for all . . . .

Thanks for your support!!  [tup]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2015, 01:56:23 AM »
Aluminum foil, I tell ya! More aluminum foil!!! Don't forget to completely cover the monitor, either! [rockon] [tup]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2015, 06:25:21 AM »
Aluminum foil, I tell ya! More aluminum foil!!! Don't forget to completely cover the monitor, either! [rockon] [tup]

And save some for the next ham that goes in the oven. Don't want that RFI to interrupt the cooking!

At's right!  [rockon]

[cheers1]
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
So far so good . . . (Re: Darn "mellar-drama" continues!!)
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2015, 10:05:33 PM »
Dear xairbusdriver, Herb, and WeatherCat subscribers to this darn "mellar-drama,"

So far still everything working fine . . . .

I was so desperate that I even thought of that!