Author Topic: WeatherCatData.cat file  (Read 2291 times)

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
WeatherCatData.cat file
« on: November 03, 2013, 11:45:59 AM »
Hi Stu
 Can you look at the attached file and tell me why WC won't use it and crate a hrs file

thanks

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: WeatherCatData.cat file
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 09:35:04 PM »
Hi Randall,

Best thing to do is to compare it to one of your existing WeatherCat data files - it should be easy to spot where the differences are.

monymony

• Strong Breeze
  • CoCoRaHS - MD-CC-16
    • EW3643
    • KMDELKTO10
    • Cecil County Maryland Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 12:31:36 AM »
Just a guess here but I would remove the table heading after "VER3".  Also it looks like this file is using tabs as a delimiter.  All of the CAT files I have seen uses spaces for the delimiter. 

Otherwise as Stu suggested compare this problem file to one of the CAT files generated to WC and make any corrections needed to match the WC generated format such as Wd: should be in degrees (i.e. 180 would equal South).

Hope this helps!

Jay

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 01:30:54 AM »
Hi Monymony
 Ok I have to use tabs to be able to paste the data into it from a program that I use to down load the data from WeatherUnderGround so how do I change it from tabs to spaces see the attached to items I am using
I tried the ones that AstoSteve is using with no luck so any help to get a converter to work without having to upload to a server to process it cause it doesn't work for me [banghead]

thanks

monymony

• Strong Breeze
  • CoCoRaHS - MD-CC-16
    • EW3643
    • KMDELKTO10
    • Cecil County Maryland Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 02:16:08 AM »
Hi Randy,
[/size]
[/size]If you are using Excel, Microsoft does not make it easy to change the delimiter when you save you data as a CSV file.  While I used Microsoft Access to run my conversion and generate my CAT files, you should be able to use Excel.  Here is how I think this should work:
[/size]
  • [/size]Create Excel file with the columns that are laid out just as you want them in your CAT file.  Use Excel to do any conversion of fields or other information that you might need.
  • [/size]From Excel, choose to create CSV file and choose either the comma or tab as your delimiter
  • [/size]Close Excel and open the CSV file using a text editor like TextWangler
  • [/size]Do a find/replace for all of the "," or "tab" delimters and replace them with a space
  • [/size]Save the file and make sure to change the format to UNIX from WINDOWS.  WC requires the UNIX format for all line returns.
[/size]Again I have not personally tried this but hopefully this will provide at least some clues on how to approach this.  You will probably need to tweak things as you run into any issues.  Your goal should be to format the CAT file exactly like any CAT files generated by WC trying to follow the spacing and the way data is stored in each field as closely as possible.  I made sure to use the same format for decimal places for example.
[/size]
[/size]Hope this helps.
[/size]
[/size]Good luck!
[/size]
[/size]Jay

ELO

• Gentle Breeze
    • KCOBRECK14
    • Weather in the Highlands
  • Station Details: Old Davis WMII, Heated Rain Collector, Mac Mini
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 03:39:57 AM »
Also be sure your file was saved with Unix linefeeds at the end of lines, not classic mac. The typical Excel default will cause the file to fail in WeatherCat.

Rick

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
Hi MonyMony
 Thanks for all this info I have been out on a job for the last 36 hours after I get rested up i will give it a test and let you know how it goings
again thanks

cheers
 [cheers1]