Author Topic: Cannot upload to WPS  (Read 5606 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Cannot upload to WPS
« on: August 25, 2013, 01:29:27 AM »
I have a new Wunderground account. I entered the station ID and my password in WeatherCat. When I clicked Start, I got a Current Status  of Error in WeatherCat. I know I have entered the correct Station ID and Password because when I click on Go to Your WPS Web page, it takes me there. On that page, Wunderground states in red letters, "Data not available." On my Wunderground Personal Weather Station page, it shows that the station is not active. Sorry to be dumb, but how do I activate the WPS account so I can upload the data?
Blick

PrivatePilot

• Gentle Breeze
    • IONTARIO404
  • Station Details: WMR200 with pool sensor.
Re: Cannot upload to WPS
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 02:40:39 AM »
IIRC, when I joined the Wunderground PWS service it wouldn't actually accept any data for a few hours, presumably until the system fully setup the station on their servers and was ready to accept data..   I just tried again later and it suddenly started accepting things.

How recently did you sign up?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 02:52:53 AM »
How recently did you sign up?

Thanks for the response. I just signed up today so I'll take your advice and relax.

Sometimes I remind myself of Homer Simpson:

Moe: The deep fryer's here! I got it used from the Army. You can flash-fry a buffalo in 40 seconds.
     Homer: Forty seconds?! But I want it now!
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 04:08:41 AM »
It has been more than 24 hours and I still can't upload. Anyone have any suggestions?
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 05:08:17 PM »
Hi Blick,
Check you have the station ID and password entered correctly - the station ID must be in upper case - mine for example is ISCOTLAN25 and the password is case sensitive - so it must be capitalised correctly. Wunderground have a list of common problems and solutions at http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Personal_Weather_Stations

Additionally, open up WeatherCat's log window from the Tools menu and check for any additional information from the Wunderground process there.

Cheers,
Stu.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 06:29:11 PM »
Thanks for the reply Stu, hope your holiday was brilliant.

I know the Station ID and password are entered correctly. I have entered and re-entered and tried copy and paste from a password management app. I had previously checked the wunderground wiki and found nothing there to change what I am doing. One interesting note is that nothing at all shows up in the WeatherCat Log about wunderground. Is there another setting elsewhere in Preferences that I am missing?

Sorry to be a bother but I am just not able to make any progress on my own.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 07:22:31 PM »
Hi Blick
 It is possible that your WeatherCat preference file might be corrupt I would try trashing it and starting all over again that is the only other thing I can think of
hope this helps
cheers
 [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 07:32:59 PM »
WeatherCat preference file might be corrupt

Before I do that, I want to make sure we are talking about the same plist. Are you referring to Library/Preferences/com.trixology.weathercat.plist ?
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 11:09:31 PM »
Hi Blick
 yes it is but you will have to put all the info back in WeatherCat to get it going again
cheers

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 07:49:09 AM »
I deleted the WeatherCat plist and reentered all of my preferences. Then I went to Wunderground and logged into my account and was able to edit my PWS station (I did not make any changes). Then I entered that same Wunderground password along with my PWS Station ID into WeatherCat, being extremely careful to match case, etc.

No change, I still cannot upload data to Wunderground. There is nothing in the WeatherCat Log about Wunderground or uploading anything. I assume the password I use to get into my Wunderground account is the same password that I use in WeatherCat to upload data to my Wunderground PWS. I only ask because the username is different: I use an email address as the username for the account, but the PWS station ID for logging in from WeatherCat, but there is only one password.

In any case, I am stumped. I am attaching screen shots of the WeatherCat preference page and the Wunderground PWS page so you can see that I do know my Station ID and password. I can't find anything in the Wunderground Wiki that sheds any light on anything. Is there something else to do in Wunderground to activate the station? I believe it activates by receiving data. Should I try changing the password? Are certain character types in the password not allowed for data transmission connection purposes? Is there something in the WeatherCat Online preferences tab that should be changed or selected? Should I increase the intensity of my prayers in this matter?

Any help is appreciated.
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 10:04:49 AM »
Hello Blick,
I noticed you missed the "6" in your Station ID in WeatherCat preferences.
Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 12:39:13 PM »
you missed the "6" in your Station ID

Well, that's what I get for staying up all night working on this. I have now corrected that omission as per the attached screen shot. I even more carefully retyped my password. Alas, I still cannot upload to Wunderground. Any other ideas?
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 05:12:56 PM »
Hi Blicj11,
A few more suggestions/checks - firstly I assume the machine running WeatherCat has access to the internet (obvious I know but have to check :) ) Secondly try changing your password - use just numbers and letters in the password. Thirdly, try turning off rapid-fire mode, that'll change the server the data gets sent to.

Cheers,
Stu.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 04:36:38 AM »
try changing your password - use just numbers and letters in the password

Hurray for Stu! Once again, you are brilliant. The trick is only alpha-numeric characters in the password. Thanks so much for persevering with me on this.

Stu, I have a question about your PWS. On the wunderground station page there is a box in the far right column that is labelled About This Weather Station. In that box is a field labelled Weather Station Software. On your station it shows that you are running WeatherCatV1.21B27. My question is how do you edit that field? Mine is blank and I can't see anyplace to edit those settings.

I have attached  a screen shot of your station to clarify what I am asking about.

Again, thanks, and all the best.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 05:25:48 AM »
My question is how do you edit that field?

Well, if I had remembered the lesson from PrivatePilot earlier in this thread about patience, I wouldn't have bothered you with that last question.  Apparently WeatherCat automatically feeds that field after the data starts loading. Once again, WeatherCat delivers.
Blick