Author Topic: Webcam movies and pictures  (Read 2475 times)

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
  • It is far better to wear out than to rust away.
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
Webcam movies and pictures
« on: July 29, 2015, 10:16:19 AM »
A quick question ...

I have ticked the option in preferences to save pictures for 24 hours and save movies for 7 days, but what if I want to keep these files forever? Do I just untick the boxes, or will this cause the program to not save the files at all?

ALAN.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Webcam movies and pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 03:50:08 PM »
Alan:

If the boxes are not ticked, the images are not saved. For example, the still shots are deleted as soon as they are used unless the box is ticked, in which case they are saved for 24 hours. If the movie box is unchecked, the hourly movies are deleted at midnight. If you want to keep them forever, copy them to a folder outside of WeatherCat's control.
Blick

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 04:03:26 PM »
Thanks, that's what I suspected. My aim is to create an image gallery, similar to the one on my old site (http://www.brackenhouse.net/weather/wxcam-history.php), but I need to find a way of uploading the files to a folder online every time one is created.

With the movies, I would like to create an archive of daily movies, but I need to find a way of combining all the hourly videos the software creates into a daily video. I can do this manually, but that's no good when I'm away from the computer. This is what I had on the old site - http://www.brackenhouse.net/weather/wxcam-latest.php. Takes a while to load, and they are outdated.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 04:06:48 PM »
What you want to do has been added by Stu as a future feature request. In the meantime, check out Evocam and see if it will do what you are asking. It is outside WC so you loose the WC overlays, which is a shame, but I am under the impression it will create the daily time lapse interval. I haven't done it myself, but I believe Steve has.
Blick

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 04:26:59 PM »
Thanks, I'll look into Evocam and if it's too complex, I'll wait for it to be added as a feature. I do miss my time-lapses which I used a lot, especially when there were approaching storms.

I even captured an explosion in a nearby town which was used in the local media. You can view the video on You Tube here.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 04:53:59 PM »
Nice catch.

By the way, I really enjoyed looking at the photos of Bracken House on your website(s). 
Blick

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 05:03:03 PM »
Thanks. Not as nice as Timber Lakes, but it'll do for us.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 06:33:40 PM »
Hello Alan and Blick,

I like your photos from Bracken House, as Blick does, too. I never understand why someone will take a template to go online with weather and neighborhoods. It is - after a while of trying - not too hard to spin someones special own website.

[WCSmall]

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »
I agree Reinhard. I went with the template because I haven't used HTML5 or CSS3 so I need to learn them before I can design my own template. My main aim is to get the site back to as near to what it was before and displaying weather data correctly. Once I've done this, I can spend my time designing my own template.

It probably won't ever happen and I'll stay with the template based site forever.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Haven't found a good way to do this. (Re: Webcam movies and pictures)
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 12:53:35 AM »
Dear Alan, Blick, and WeatherCat fans,

With the movies, I would like to create an archive of daily movies, but I need to find a way of combining all the hourly videos the software creates into a daily video. I can do this manually, but that's no good when I'm away from the computer. This is what I had on the old site - http://www.brackenhouse.net/weather/wxcam-latest.php. Takes a while to load, and they are outdated.

I tired to come up with a way a while back but couldn't find a decent command line tool to splice the hour videos.  If you upload to Weather Underground, Weather Underground does this for you and I link to their daily movie on my website:

http://www.canebas.org/Weather/Canebas_webcam.html

Indeed, you could ask Stu to implement this as a feature request, but don't expect a quick reply.  Stu is getting ready for his summer vacation starting this weekend.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 06:15:59 AM »
I finally got my webcam uploading to Weather Underground last night, so I can look forward to using their videos shortly.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 03:06:25 PM »
"Templates" are many powers of magnitude harder than "web pages". What I've seen of "templates" is a creation for many others to use. They usually facilitate unknown quantities of data and multiple data formats and languages. That's why most of them use hundreds of PHP scripts and dozens of supporting text files. None of that is needed for a self-designed, purpose-built, personal web site.

PHP can help in many areas, especially in building displays for databases, but that usually involves SQL. Some of us like the wide page display of several dozen columns of figures. Others, not so much! [lol] OTOH, many template authors have made parts of their creations available for use in our own sites.

Some of us like taking a "template" and leaving the design/look to that author. Others have different priorities (like "old" cars! :P )! Some people actually enjoy using Windows, although I don't have any reliable data on that theory.

All the above is just to say that's one of the things I really appreciate about this place! We can all enjoy the details in our own ways and still have so much in common that we can appreciate each other! It would be great to see more of that in this world, in my humble opinion.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 05:10:30 PM »
The trouble with templates is that they are designed to work in different languages and with an assortment of programs. I decided to stay with the template route because I wanted something up and running quickly. When I have more time to spare, I will design my own template to meet my needs.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 07:25:15 PM »
When I have more time to spare, I will design my own template to meet my needs.

Which is how and why all of these templates were created in the first place.

My career was in finance and this same process is how all financial prospectuses are written. You just see what everyone else said in their prospectus and you copy the bits you like to make it work for you.

Ken True, Wim and Edouard have all created very cool templates that work for them. Steve's website uses bits from several templates plus his own improvements. Reinhard's website is an example of a beautiful design that he created to work for him. It just takes time, patience and learning some new stuff (which is a challenge for us older codgers).

Personal weather station users in general and WeatherCatters in particular are a terrific bunch of people willing to share and help others.
Blick