Author Topic: Test site WC movie upload question  (Read 1514 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Test site WC movie upload question
« on: July 24, 2015, 10:55:24 PM »
I'm working on a simple wx site, just html & CSS. I've found WC to be extremely helpful by providing massive 'tags' for displaying practically anything Davis captures! The new web cam seem to be working fine. But I'm not seeing it replace/update the "WeatherCatDailyMovie.mov". There is only one available which shows "modified" at 7/24/15, 10:01 AM". I think that may have been when I made some changes in the WC prefs this morning.

There are several other 'time-stamped' movies in the ~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatMedia/Movies/Today folder. I note that the one movie that got uploaded is 15.2MB whereas the others are now only 1.4 MB. I changed the "Capture Options" just after 10 AM from every minutes to every 10 minutes. I think that explains the smaller size of the 11 AM through 3 PM movie sizes.

At one point I had a web page using the "MOVIE$" tag, but decided to access the .mov file directly since WC only created a link to the file rather than actually displaying it. I've created a never-used 'movies_images.html' file and add that to the Additional Files list. Perhaps WC doesn't actually upload a movie/image if nothing ever 'asks' for it by using/including the MOVIE$ and/or WCAM$ tag? That would save bandwidth and web space by not uploading un-used (and large) files.  :-\

The test site is at Mid-South Weather.com. Constructive comments welcomed. Others will be ignored, just like most of my opinions! [lol2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: Test site WC movie upload question
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 11:51:04 PM »
Hi xairbusdriver
 Site looks nice and I see you web cam movie is updating as it should

cheers
 [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat movie makers,

I'm working on a simple wx site, just html & CSS. I've found WC to be extremely helpful by providing massive 'tags' for displaying practically anything Davis captures! The new web cam seem to be working fine. But I'm not seeing it replace/update the "WeatherCatDailyMovie.mov". There is only one available which shows "modified" at 7/24/15, 10:01 AM". I think that may have been when I made some changes in the WC prefs this morning.

As Randall reports, I just checked your website, it seems to be showing a current movie.  Have you tinkered with your webpage code since posting this?

There are several other 'time-stamped' movies in the ~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatMedia/Movies/Today folder. I note that the one movie that got uploaded is 15.2MB whereas the others are now only 1.4 MB. I changed the "Capture Options" just after 10 AM from every minutes to every 10 minutes. I think that explains the smaller size of the 11 AM through 3 PM movie sizes.

At one point I had a web page using the "MOVIE$" tag, but decided to access the .mov file directly since WC only created a link to the file rather than actually displaying it. I've created a never-used 'movies_images.html' file and add that to the Additional Files list. Perhaps WC doesn't actually upload a movie/image if nothing ever 'asks' for it by using/including the MOVIE$ and/or WCAM$ tag? That would save bandwidth and web space by not uploading un-used (and large) files.  :-\

;) . . . . Don't make me look at my website code!!  It's embarrassing!! . . . .  :-[

I just looked at my website and I don't use the MOVIE$ tag on the main website either.  Instead I have an embedded Quicktime player that looks much nicer.  That leaves just one puzzle, why does WeatherCat upload the files periodically?  I think the answer is that I do use the MOVIE$ on the WeatherCat_all_tags.html web page that Stu created for testing WeatherCat and I run also for verifying that everything is working properly.  Since WeatherCat sees that tag on that page, it uploads the movie and it is available for me to use on the other web page.  However, that's only a guess.

We might need to ask Stu about this one!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Test site WC movie upload question
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 01:45:26 AM »
Thanks, Randal, your payola check's at PayPal! ;D

My suspicions and Edouard's thoughts are the same. After starting this thread, I created a practically empty HTML file with nothing much more than the two tags WC uses for an image and a movie. The fact that WC sees them is all it seems to take to get it to upload the latest version of each type. [tup]

I don't yet use the image file, but I probably will. I first attempted to use the QT movie with three different methods; Embed, Object, and Apple's old JavaScript. None are up-to-date methods, but HTML5 video method is not widely adopted, either! [rolleyes2]

For the movie, I finally used an iframe in the 'webcam' page with a direct Ima link to the file. I don't like I iframes any more than JavaScript, but it works. [blush] At least on my Mac... I haven't tested it on Internet Exploder!  [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Glad problem solved. (Re: Test site WC movie upload question)
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 10:38:10 PM »
Dear X-Air, Randall, and WeatherCat web spinners,

Glad this problem has been solved it appears.  [tup]

That gives you time to deal with da' next problem . . . . what else?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]