Author Topic: Anyone have a location for "KDE icons"?  (Read 6950 times)

wvdkuil

• Strong Breeze
    • DW8113 (D8113)
    • IVLAAMSG47
    • Weatherstation Wilsele/Leuven/Belgium
  • Station Details: VantagePro2+ UV,Solar - Macbook/Mini
Re: Anyone have a location for "KDE icons"?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 09:05:11 AM »
I assembled a list of all old and new NOAA icon descriptions to change the icon translate array.

Backup/copy:
1. Make a backup/copy of the noaaSettings.php script first
2. Make a backup/copy of the two folders:  img/default_icons/ and img/default_icons_small/

3. Use download link and unzip

4.1  You find a readme for the changes to the noaa_forecast/noaaSettings.php script
* 1 PHP statement should be changed
* The translate array should be replaced with the larger new one

5. In the zip there is the largest possible set of KDE based icons to replace the current ones in the img/default_icons/ and default_icons_small/ folder.

Please be aware that after doing this, you have to remove the current NOAA forecast from your cache/ folder

Wim

Attachment is to large to add to the message,  link to download http://weather-template.nl/extra_noaa.zip
Support of Leuven-Template&Scripts: https://support.leuven-template.eu/
Support and demo for the PWS_Dashboard (also for WeatherCat)  https://pwsdashboard.com/ 
My PWS at home https://weer.sluispark.be/
And at my daughters house https://www.weerstation-herent.be/

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 04:04:29 PM »
WOW! I'll download this in a minute! And thanks for your work on the old set of icons, also! I didn't know you had edited/added to the KDE set. Your graphics work is as professional as your programming! [tup]

I may wait until the weekend to do the editing and installation. We'll be pretty busy, anyway. We have a Severe WX warning out right now. Summer seems to be refusing to leave. High today is forecast to be 74?F! Very warm for two days before Christmas! We have a Forsythia bush that is starting to bloom! [banghead]

I just read the ReadMe.txt and see you found a mayjer erer in my editing:"Change... // added in 10/8/15 download" to "// changed 2015-12-23" Those European dates confuse me every time! ;D

Seriously, looks like some major additions to the array! That "warning.png" could come in handy in other areas of the site! Thanks, again!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 11:46:22 PM »
Mission complete! Also, fortunately, there was a missing icon because of a fairly gusty forecast this week. Sure enough, that's the kind of icon I needed several weeks ago.

Wim, your instructions were simple enough, even for me. But even after deleting the NOAA forecast text file and (supposedly) emptying the (two different) browser's cache, I was still getting the "?" indication. I think it was simply that your scripts don't check/read the NOAA text file if the 'time delay' ($cacheTime) has not run out. In any case, ~300 seconds after uploading the edited Warning.php file, up came the 'wind sock' icon! [cheer]

Now I'm going to RE-download the stand alone Forecast and Warning templates to see what values you had suggested. I have three different times; noaaPlainGenerateHtml.php: 3600 seconds (1 hour), noaaDigitalGenerateHtml.php: 7200 seconds, noaaWarning.php: 300 seconds comment="advised by noaa nws.eu"

I can understand that Warnings can change quite quickly and 5 minutes should help prevent everyone contacting NOAA too often.

Not sure why the Forecasts (Plain & Digital) use two different times. ??? Seems like 1 hour should be suitable. BTW, I'm assuming that these times are started based on the first time the script ever runs. Then ever 1 or 2 hours after that. :)

wvdkuil

• Strong Breeze
    • DW8113 (D8113)
    • IVLAAMSG47
    • Weatherstation Wilsele/Leuven/Belgium
  • Station Details: VantagePro2+ UV,Solar - Macbook/Mini
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 09:51:06 AM »
Mission complete! Also, fortunately, there was a missing icon because of a fairly gusty forecast this week. Sure enough, that's the kind of icon I needed several weeks ago.

Wim, your instructions were simple enough, even for me. But even after deleting the NOAA forecast text file and (supposedly) emptying the (two different) browser's cache, I was still getting the "?" indication. I think it was simply that your scripts don't check/read the NOAA text file if the 'time delay' ($cacheTime) has not run out. In any case, ~300 seconds after uploading the edited Warning.php file, up came the 'wind sock' icon! [cheer]

Now I'm going to RE-download the stand alone Forecast and Warning templates to see what values you had suggested. I have three different times; noaaPlainGenerateHtml.php: 3600 seconds (1 hour), noaaDigitalGenerateHtml.php: 7200 seconds, noaaWarning.php: 300 seconds comment="advised by noaa nws.eu"

I can understand that Warnings can change quite quickly and 5 minutes should help prevent everyone contacting NOAA too often.

Not sure why the Forecasts (Plain & Digital) use two different times. ??? Seems like 1 hour should be suitable. BTW, I'm assuming that these times are started based on the first time the script ever runs. Then ever 1 or 2 hours after that. :)

The cache time starts when a file is read from NOAA and the copy in the cache is to old.
So when there was no visitor in lets say 24 hours, the 3 files are read / processed and intermediate results are stored in the cache.

01:00 am: Last visit  and all files in the cache are valid when page is in the browser
10:00 am: Second visitor arrives and  all three files are read again  because 9 hours is longer then allowed cached time, all three files are stored in the cache with timestamp 10:00:??
10:01 am: Visitor request a fresh page, all data comes from cache as all files are just 1 minute old
10:06 am: Visitor request a fresh page, warnings are read from NOAA as they are older then allowed cache time of 5 minutes
11:10 am: Visitor request a fresh page, warnings (more then 5 minutes old) and plain forecast (> 1 hour) are read from NOAA.

Last question:  Why plain forecast 1 hour and Digital forecast 2 hours?

Plain forecast is a "nearly html.page " type request such as "give me the forecast for New-york". All people asking this forecast will get the exact same file returned

Digitial forecast is a very heavy request involving 100's maybe 1000's access by NOAA to gather the information.  It is tailored to your wishes.
This is the request screen: http://graphical.weather.gov/xml/SOAP_server/ndfdXML.htm
No two persons will request the same information, no caching possible at the NOAA site then. 
The returned file is  LARGE and complex with different (1 hour and 3 hour and other)  time-periods for different weather items. All data must be converted to a standard time period.

To lower the load on NOAA and on your webserver the cache time is set higher.

Also the cache times are not set exactly the same to spread the load during the day.
There is no data loaded from NOAA when there is no visitor at your site.  That is why the first visitors ( as all files are to old) response time in the morning is longer then subsequent visits.

Wim

Support of Leuven-Template&Scripts: https://support.leuven-template.eu/
Support and demo for the PWS_Dashboard (also for WeatherCat)  https://pwsdashboard.com/ 
My PWS at home https://weer.sluispark.be/
And at my daughters house https://www.weerstation-herent.be/

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 05:20:12 PM »
Thanks for the details! My need to know comes from years of a career in which minutia were important; the smallest details could kill you, if you allowed too many to accumulate! ;)

I may have seen the consequences of these large files not being downloaded completely. About 15 minutes after the final edits were made, I started seeing PHP error reports about incomplete data in one of those text files. I waited ~30 minutes and they went away. I think one of the NOAA reports was badly formatted or got corrupted in transmission. It could have been a heavy load on their servers, also; there has been a lot of severe weather in the US for the last few days. Not unlike what's happening in England/Scotland. Hope the storms die down before moving eastward.

That is why the first visitors ( as all files are to old) response time in the morning is longer then subsequent visits.
Good to know! I thought it was just my computer being slow to 'wake up'! [lol]

I should probably turn PHP error reporting off (or to different) settings, at least while things seem to be working so well. A topic for further study: PHP error reporting. I may try to find a way to convert those to get dumped to an email or handled more like a html 404 error, but errors that cause processing to stop would probably result simply in incomplete page displays...  [computer] :-[