Author Topic: Weathercat Banner  (Read 3946 times)

geoffmurray

• Gentle Breeze
    • ITASMANI96
    • Geoff Murray Wilderness and Landscape Photography
  • Station Details: Davis vantage Pro 2,wireless remote anemometer, non Davis wireless logger to iMac 27" 3.4Ghz i7 16Gb RAM SSD HD
Weathercat Banner
« on: May 17, 2014, 01:12:30 PM »
Thanks to Edouard, I have enabled my WeatherCat Banner. It is uploading regularly to my root directory on my website server but now my question is, how do I get it to show up on my Steel Gauges page? And also, how do I attach it to a post on this forum?
Here is the link to the banner. www.geoffmurray.com/WeatherCatBanner.jpg
Banner attached but it's not updating.

Geoff

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Weathercat Banner
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 03:12:13 PM »
It is uploading regularly to my root directory on my website server but now my question is, how do I get it to show up on my Steel Gauges page? And also, how do I attach it to a post on this forum?

Geoff:

Read this post for uploading your banner and using it as a signature block on the forum: http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=205.msg2032#msg2032

Also, remember to check the box in your Banner Generator tool that says FTP to Custom Web and select the Output File Format (jpg, gif or png).

I uploaded my banner to the same page as my steel gauges by inserting an iframe just above all the steel gauges html on the page. Then uploaded the banner to that iframe.

Hope this helps. And again, your photographs are stunning.
Blick

geoffmurray

• Gentle Breeze
    • ITASMANI96
  • Station Details: Davis vantage Pro 2,wireless remote anemometer, non Davis wireless logger to iMac 27" 3.4Ghz i7 16Gb RAM SSD HD
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »
Got it, thanks Blick.

Geoff

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 04:20:29 PM »
Looking good! But shouldn't you be in bed by now?
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Congratulations - a bit too subtle? (Re: Weathercat Banner)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 09:56:31 PM »
Hi Geoff, Blick, and WeatherCat fans,

Thanks to Edouard, I have enabled my WeatherCat Banner.

Glad you were able to get the banner mechanics to work okay, but might I offer you a tiny bit of constructive criticism . . . .  I have a feeling that you've tried to pack too impressive a photo into a very small space.  Yeah, an odd problem but it does happen.  You don't have many pixels to display that image.  While it looks extremely beautiful, you really have to focus to get any sense of what is there.

You might want to search around in your copious collection of photos for something that really has some white space.  At least in my opinion, you don't want to force the viewer to try to read the weather data and appreciate the image all in the same real estate.

Of course others may disagree and you might like it just fine, but I think given your skills you might find a "more better" example.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. Not that I'm nearly as skilled with a camera as you, but it took me a few tries to get a banner that I was happy with.  Like all new canvas, it takes some experimentation to see what can be done with it.

geoffmurray

• Gentle Breeze
    • ITASMANI96
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
Hi Edouard,

Yes, you are absolutely correct. That image was chosen in a hurry just to get the thing operational. I think the best choice would be an abstract, fairly uniform image as you have in your banner to keep it simple. Constructive criticism is always welcome :-)

I followed the advice of using an iframe to be able to add text to the gauges page but I am using Sandvox for my website, which while convenient, has many constraints and limited possibility (for me at least) to vary the settings and most of the designs available seem to limit page width significantly. I really like being able to see the full width of the background image so for the moment I will omit the text and just enjoy the gauges.

Geoff

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 01:12:39 PM »
Geoff, I like your new banner photo better than the old as well. It's a lot easier to focus on the weather status. Looks like you have the 'Cat purring now.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
The best banner is the one - you - like best! (Re: Weathercat Banner)
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 10:26:29 PM »
Hi Geoff and WeatherCat shutterbugs, . . . .

Yes, you are absolutely correct. That image was chosen in a hurry just to get the thing operational. I think the best choice would be an abstract, fairly uniform image as you have in your banner to keep it simple. Constructive criticism is always welcome :-)

I think everybody has got to come up with that feels good for themselves.  My banner fits my aesthetics of having a bit of weather phenomena and one weather instrument in the picture.  I just like a banner that hints at how the data has been collected while displaying it.  Most folks prefer instead to have something completely different and that fine too.

I followed the advice of using an iframe to be able to add text to the gauges page but I am using Sandvox for my website, which while convenient, has many constraints and limited possibility (for me at least) to vary the settings and most of the designs available seem to limit page width significantly. I really like being able to see the full width of the background image so for the moment I will omit the text and just enjoy the gauges.

I'm afraid I'm very old school when it comes to websites and I haven't worked on mine in years.  However, I still would prefer a website that is mostly digital in its display of data with only a few gauges related to the wind direction and wind run.  One of these days when I finally have a little time I'll try to convert my own static website into more of a real-time display - but today isn't the day!

So best of luck with your use of the steel gauges.  I still hope to put a few of them on my website.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]