Author Topic: Monitor 2 rain collector overly high rain totals  (Read 4101 times)

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
  • Station Details: VP2 Mac Mini running 10.11.6
Monitor 2 rain collector overly high rain totals
« on: July 30, 2018, 08:58:14 PM »
Hello all,

I have a solar powered wireless Davis Monitor 2 that is about 20 years old. I  have replaced the solar array and battery last year and it has worked reliably until this years Arizona monsoon season.
Now it is recording rain even when none has fallen, consistently. It also gives 2 day rain totals where it seems not to reset at midnight for example, it repeats the total of the first day and adds it to the second day whether it rains or not. For instance it will record .27 on day one then on day two it will double that to .54 even if no rain on day 2.

I am running WC 1.02 Version 4 on a iBook G4

I am thinking it must be a hardware fault and have found a new replacement rain bucket #7852 on Amazon. Should I first try replacing the reed switch or buy a new rain assembly for $100?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear cabut and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I have a solar powered wireless Davis Monitor 2 that is about 20 years old. I  have replaced the solar array and battery last year and it has worked reliably until this years Arizona monsoon season.
Now it is recording rain even when none has fallen, consistently. It also gives 2 day rain totals where it seems not to reset at midnight for example, it repeats the total of the first day and adds it to the second day whether it rains or not. For instance it will record .27 on day one then on day two it will double that to .54 even if no rain on day 2.

I am running WC 1.02 Version 4 on a iBook G4

I am thinking it must be a hardware fault and have found a new replacement rain bucket #7852 on Amazon. Should I first try replacing the reed switch or buy a new rain assembly for $100?

I'll be the first to admit there is merit in hanging on to "mature" technology that is reliable . . . .   Alas, your weather station, iBook, and version of WeatherCat are all extremely out of date.  You need to decide how much more you want to invest in this setup.  If something else fails in your setup - what then will you do?

Sorry, but it seems necessary to say it.

Edouard

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
Re: Monitor 2 rain collector overly high rain totals
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 12:30:36 AM »
LOL! I?ve been thinking about it, but a new Davis solar powered wireless set-up is about $1200.
Until it becomes totally unreliable I?ll keep it and my old iBook cranking out data.  [rockon]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear cabut and WeatherCat users who never pay retail!

LOL! I?ve been thinking about it, but a new Davis solar powered wireless set-up is about $1200.

Of course Davis would love for you to pay that much, but you don't hav'ta'!

There are a number of outfits that heavily discount Davis equipment.  These include (but are by no means limited to) :

I list these 3 because I am aware of "WeatherCatters" having gotten good service from each company.  I think you'll find that you can upgrade your weather station for a lot less than you imagined.  That might sufficient incentive to make you reconsider spending more money on your very weary Davis Monitor station.

Sometimes all it takes is the right kind of plug!! . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 03:30:23 AM »
For whatever this is worth, and it ain't much, I agree with Edouard. I have purchased hardware from two of the vendors he listed and have been totally happy with both of them. And I have never had any issue with Davis honoring a warranty issue from something I purchased from either of these vendors. And they are significantly less expensive than buying direct from Davis.
Blick

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 05:49:25 PM »
Thank you both! The prices on those sites are very good.

So, I have a Monitor 2 solar powered wireless station with rain collector and the basic sensors. What newer Davis model can you recommend that has similar features and can run on a Mac with Sierra?

Thanks again,
Cabut

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »
Here is the page that compares the current models.

https://www.davisinstruments.com/solution/vantage-pro2/

Your closest match is Wireless Vantage Pro2? with Standard Radiation Shield, Product number: 6152. I assume this comes with a monitor, although Davis does not explicitly state that, so you will want to clarify that with the vendor before you actually order.

You will also likely need a new data logger, either the WeatherLinkIP? or the MacWeatherLink? OS X USB, depending on whether you are hooking the console directly to your Mac or into an ethernet port in your router, or an Apple Express.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Fan aspirated temperature is desirable (Was: Monitor 2 rain collector)
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 11:05:49 PM »
Dear Cabut, Blick, and WeatherCat users in search of ever greater accuracy,

So, I have a Monitor 2 solar powered wireless station with rain collector and the basic sensors. What newer Davis model can you recommend that has similar features and can run on a Mac with Sierra?

It may be more precision than you feel desirable, but Davis makes a version of the Vantage Pro-2 with a fan aspirated temperature probe.  I've heard some complaints about reliability.  Other WeatherCatters might be able to comment on that.  My station is powered by AC rather than solar power, so I was able to add a PC case fan to blow air over my temperature probe.  How I did this is described on this thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1865.0

Since making this modification, I can see that my temperature probe is truly much more sensitive.  So since you are contemplating an upgrade, I thought I would toss the idea out for your consideration.  You might not want to actually spend the money, but thinking about it is always free! . . .  ;D

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 09:00:43 PM »
Thank you both! I am seriously considering it. Will let you know my choices before I buy.

Cabut

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
Re: Fan aspirated temperature is desirable (Was: Monitor 2 rain collector)
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 05:31:59 PM »
It may be more precision than you feel desirable, but Davis makes a version of the Vantage Pro-2 with a fan aspirated temperature probe.  I've heard some complaints about reliability.  Other WeatherCatters might be able to comment on that.

I considered that model, but I live in the mountains and we always have a breeze coming across our property so I chose to save the money and allow Mother Nature to provide aspiration for my temperature probe.
Blick

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 08:03:41 PM »
Hi all,

I decided to go with the Davis 6152 and the Mac data logger 6520 from rainmanweather.com.
I have a Mini Mac late 2009 I will load with WeatherCat. Now i?ll need a monitor which I hope to find on EBay.  I plan to use my old mast from the monitor 2 set up to mount the Vantage Pro 2. Thanks for giving me the nudge I needed! If there is anything i?m missing, please let me know.

Cabut

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 09:31:02 PM »
Now i?ll need a monitor which I hope to find on EBay.
You can go that route, if you have the desktop space, but you can probably find a or even make a 'dongle' that 'tricks the mini (and its graphics port) into 'thinking' there's a monitor attached. Considerably cheaper than a monitor and excellent resolution! ThU5:-)

Fit.com Headless video adaptors
Fit adaptor at Amazon $9
More expensive version [NewerTech] $25

Assuming you have Airport on the mini, you can then view its video via Screen Sharing. That's how I have my mini set up. If I don't need to access the WC prefs, I simply use File Sharing and access the Finder from my iMac.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 10:05:23 PM »
Wow, what  great idea! Thanks Xair!

Cabut

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Certainly a solid choice! (Was: Monitor 2 rain collector)
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 10:32:14 PM »
Dear Cabut, X-Air, and WeatherCat Davis fans,

I decided to go with the Davis 6152 and the Mac data logger 6520 from rainmanweather.com.

I certainly cannot fault that choice.  It is exactly the same model I bought back in 2009!  Of course you'll get the improved rain collector cone and other updates.  Do let us know how all this turns out but I'm confident you'll be very pleased!

Thanks for giving me the nudge I needed! If there is anything i?m missing, please let me know.

X-Air has already given you a nice tip.  I think you have everything you need.  About the only thing you might want to consider sometime down the road are some Ferrite cores as described in this WeatherCat wiki entry:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Electronic_Interference_Effects_on_Station_Hardware/Data_Logger/USB_Cable

They certainly aren't necessary, but might provide you with additional peace of mind as far as having a reliable connection from your console to your Mac.

Congratulations!  [tup]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 02:08:38 PM »
Good job Cabut. Please let us know how this project turns out.
Blick