Author Topic: Data Viewer/Editor  (Read 2916 times)

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro2 (daytime FARS) w/ Macbook OS 10.9.2
Data Viewer/Editor
« on: March 10, 2015, 02:01:08 PM »
In the Data Viewer/Editor, is it possible to select multiple rows of say Raw Rain at the same time for quick editing? Selecting and editing one row at a time can be tedious for altering a hundred rows. I'm hoping there's a faster way.

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
Re: Data Viewer/Editor
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 03:37:29 PM »
Hi Keith.

Even though some might accuse me of plagiarizing the WC manual (and they would be right) I will give you some suggestions for the best way to alter multiple rows. The Data Viewer/Editor is best for minor edits, however, multiple edits should be handled by following these guidelines:

WeatherCat stores its database in your ~/Library folder, for example: /Users/John/Library/ WeatherCatData/

Within the WeatherCatData folder will be a folder for each location. Within each of these folders lives the actual data organised by year and month folders.

WeatherCat data is held in simple text-based files that can be viewed or edited in any text editor. These files are given a ?.cat? extension, for example ?6_WeatherCatData.cat?, and each file holds the data for a month; in this example June.

Each .cat file is commented at the top with the layout of the data making the data format more human friendly and easy to edit should you need to. Each sample takes up one line in the file and is simply appended to the current file. The data format uses a simple key/ value coding ? if a channel is not present on your hardware, it isn?t recorded.

WeatherCat also maintains hourly statistics files ? these are maintained by WeatherCat as each sample is taken and are given a ?.hrs? extension, for example ?6_WeatherCatData.cat.hrs?.

Important Note: If you edit a .cat file, delete the corresponding .hrs file. WeatherCat will rebuild the .hrs when it launches. Never edit a .cat with WeatherCat running ? always quit WeatherCat before editing the data.

I hope this helps!

Keith

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 03:38:22 PM »
Thanks, Keith!

You da man, man!

Keith

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 03:38:59 PM »
Don't mention it.

Keith

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Feature request there? (Re: Data Viewer/Editor)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 08:56:40 PM »
Hi Keith and WeatherCat tinkerers,

In the Data Viewer/Editor, is it possible to select multiple rows of say Raw Rain at the same time for quick editing? Selecting and editing one row at a time can be tedious for altering a hundred rows. I'm hoping there's a faster way.

Sorry, for not replying to your question, but I couldn't quite imagine what you were trying to do.  Is the problem trying on correct many entries of the same data field? (Raw Rain)

Isn't what you were looking for was some sort of key combination that would allow you to jump to the next entry of that same data field on one step so you could continue modifying just that data?

Perhaps Stu can make some key combination that would do just that.  There might be enough of a need for it to be worth Stu's time to implement it.

Is that what you were looking for?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 10:14:12 PM »
Select multiple rows in a single column?

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 11:49:07 PM »
Hi and thanks Stu, Edouard.

I tried selecting multiple rows of a single column. WC 1.24 wouldn't let me select more than one entry. Shift click didn't work, nor click and drag.

I needed to affect tons of rows because a rain amount with the Daily Rain Editor would not take effect with my monthly rain amount variable. Monthly rain was correct on the console, so was the annual rain, but not on the web page for some odd reason.

There were many rows of rain that was actually just meltwater. So I wanted to reset those Raw Rain entries back to 0.00. Once I did, and restarted WC, monthly rain still kept that 0.07" even though it was no longer visible in the data. I can't find where in the world monthly rain is coming up with that 0.07" when it's not included any longer in the Data Viewer, the Daily Rain Editor or the 3_WeatherCatData.cat file.

Edouard, although a key combo would help, what I was looking for was any way to select multiple rows and delete. Other than that, a SQL update would've been a nice option in an ideal world, if I knew the database schema.

Keith