Author Topic: *GASP*! Silicon lab driver actually current for MacOS? . . .  (Read 3269 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
*GASP*! Silicon lab driver actually current for MacOS? . . .
« on: October 19, 2016, 11:20:38 PM »
Dear WeatherCat Davis owners,

I was about to make another gripe about Silicon labs still not having brought their drivers up-to-date, but being the cautious type I decided to check.  According to the changelog:

Code: [Select]
CP210x Macintosh OS X VCP Driver v4 Release Notes
Copyright (C) 2016 Silicon Laboratories Inc.

This release contains the following components:

* SiLabsUSBDriverDisk.dmg - Image containing the VCP Driver Installer
* ReleaseNotes.txt (this file)
* uninstaller.sh - a bash shell script for removing the driver

Known Issues and Limitations
----------------------------

This release includes the Macintosh OSX driver for the Intel and
PowerPC Platforms versions 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8,
10.9, 10.10 and 10.11.

Driver Installation
-------------------

Mount the DMG file and double click on
Silicon Labs VCP Driver.

Uninstalling the Driver
-----------------------

To uninstall the driver, run the uninstaller.sh shell script from
a Terminal command prompt.

Release Dates
-------------

CP210x Macintosh OSX VCP Driver 4.x.13 - August 31, 2016
CP210x Macintosh OSX VCP Driver 4.x.12 - June 15, 2016
CP210x Macintosh OSX VCP Driver 4.x.11 - May 26, 2016
CP210x Macintosh OSX VCP Driver 4.x.10 - April 6, 2016
CP210x Macintosh OSX VCP Driver 4.x.9 - March 28, 2016
CP210x Macintosh OSX VCP Driver 4.10.8 - March 2, 2016
CP210x Macintosh OSX VCP Driver v3.1 - December 6, 2012

So if you are delaying the upgrade to Sierra you can't use the excuse that the Silicon lab driver still hasn't been updated.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S.  Fortunately, there isn't a shortage of other excuses! . . .

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
Re: *GASP*! Silicon lab driver actually current for MacOS? . . .
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 11:36:58 PM »
I upgraded the day it came out.  Everything worked, Weathercat worked fine.   then again  I am getting used to the mac.    Do have the beach ball and it does go away,  haven't agreed with my evil twin Skippy to do the bootcamp thing or Parallels.   I am resisting.

But yes, it seems to work with the old driver for me.  I am not going after the new driver yet. It is good to know that it exists.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 12:22:07 AM »
Not to put too fine a point on it, but Sierra (the "current" Mac OS) is 10.12, isn't it? 10.11 is El Capitan. Close but no banana?
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 01:10:48 AM »
Not to put too fine a point on it, but Sierra (the "current" Mac OS) is 10.12, isn't it? 10.11 is El Capitan. Close but no banana?

I was going to make that point to Edouard but I see you've already poked him with a sharp stick, X-Air.

Probably something to do with that secret WC society he belongs to trying to decide if Sierra is safe or not.   ;)   I'll have to go hunt up the thread, it apparently scrolled off the Recent Posts list while I was away.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 04:13:51 AM »
 Frankly, I'm upset that Eduoard usurped my usual ineptitude! "I resemble that remark!" cmu:-) [blush]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Mea Culpa (Re: *GASP*! Silicon lab driver )
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 11:37:01 PM »
Dear Weatheraardvark, Felix, X-Air, and WeatherCat better doers of math that I was.

Sadly, having never enough time - Yup, I posted that one a little too fast.

However, that does raise a puzzling question.  If the Mac operating system is no longer OS X, then why is the version number still 10.12?  Should this also change?

Honestly, while I was pondering my mistake I thought I realized why Apple might be playing games with Mac OS.  What do you guys think, will there be next year an OS 10.13?

P.S. The way things are going will there be a next year in which to release 10.13? . . . . .

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 04:10:14 AM »
They will skip 13. It's an unlucky number (and the day of my birth - which explains a lot).
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
One more oddity (Re: *GASP*! Silicon lab driver)
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 11:03:26 PM »
Dear X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat Internet mystery sleuths, . . . .

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Sierra (the "current" Mac OS) is 10.12, isn't it? 10.11 is El Capitan.

Actually the update by Silicon Labs is even more puzzling in a way.  With Sierra in the winds and El Capitan being old news they finally updated their documentation to confirm what WeatherCat users had already discovered: the existing driver did work with El Capitan.  Now that Sierra is out, once more a few intrepid WeatherCat users are successful using the same driver.  Yet Silicon Labs isn't confirming what seems likely at least.

I suppose that Silicon labs hardware ends up in all sorts of devices, so I can respect some caution in proclaiming compatibility.  Still, it is only a driver and they should be able to test it in house one would expect exhaustively.  One cannot help but suspect that Silicon Labs has instead shifted to another testing strategy based on a rich resource of beta-testers . . . . . . suckers like us!  :o