Author Topic: Keyspan USB 2 port to Serial crashes computer after latest driver installed  (Read 3771 times)

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
  • Station Details: VP2 Mac Mini running 10.11.6
I has a new iMac running 10.12.3. I installed the latest driver (USA-19HS Driver (Mac OS X 10.9 to 10.11) and now when I plug in the Keyspan USB, it crashes my computer with a kernel panic. I think I read that although this driver is meant for 10.11, it is also good for 10.12.3, well apparently not of my computer. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Tom

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
No help here. I just use a USB driver from Silicon Laps. Hopefully one of the Keyspan users will come along and offer some real help. In the mean time, it might help if you add some info about the model of your iMac. Maybe also check the Keyspan site for more compatibility info.

BTW, the driver I mentioned is a free download at http://www.silabs.com Be sure to scroll down the page for the "Mac Download VCP (832 KB) download".
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Low cost "plan-B" . . . (Re: Keyspan USB 2 port to Serial crashes)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 12:02:50 AM »
Dear Tom, X-Air and WeatherCat types that hang on to gear as long as it keeps working,

I has a new iMac running 10.12.3. I installed the latest driver (USA-19HS Driver (Mac OS X 10.9 to 10.11) and now when I plug in the Keyspan USB, it crashes my computer with a kernel panic. I think I read that although this driver is meant for 10.11, it is also good for 10.12.3, well apparently not of my computer. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Unfortunately, the USB to serial dongles are suffering from increasingly poor support.  The number of users has declined and I suspect companies have given up supporting them or perhaps even gone out of business.  You can still buy this Keyspan model:

https://www.tripplite.com/keyspan-high-speed-usb-to-serial-adapter~USA19HS/

But it clearly doesn't list macOS 10.12 as being supported.  Since Sierra has been out for about 9 months that definitely suggests support is slow in coming (if ever.)

Searching around on Amazon I found a recommendation to get a Serial to USB dongle with a FTDI chipset.  According to the commentator, driver support is built right into MacOS so no need to fuss around with drivers.  You can pick up one of these for $14 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Tera-Grand-Premium-Serial-Adapter/dp/B00QG83YVC/

So if nothing else works, perhaps you can get your problems solved without investing too much "coin" . . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
  • Station Details: VP2 Mac Mini running 10.11.6
Hi,

I have a late 2015 iMac with 16 gigs of ram. I think it is the current model. Is that Silicon labs driver work with my old Keyspan USA-19HS Xairbusdriver?
Thanks Edouard but I think I need the round serial port for my unit.

Tom