Author Topic: Trouble with the WC Twitter Uploader  (Read 5726 times)

rasarisi

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0704
    • KCTBETHA4
    • BlueBirds Knoll
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless & Vantage Vue Wirelless Console
Trouble with the WC Twitter Uploader
« on: September 05, 2012, 01:35:16 PM »
Hello all

I installed the apple scripts and configured the information for my twitter account.  I ran the script it asked for a pin and i put it in.  The script now runs and says it's posted to my account  but there is nothing there when I look.  What did I miss?

Thanks for your help.

Rich

rasarisi

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0704
    • KCTBETHA4
    • BlueBirds Knoll
Re: Trouble with the WC Twitter Uploader
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 03:08:11 PM »
the script continues to run and says it uploads successfully -- but no posts appears.

Rich

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 06:56:46 PM »
I got the same problem when using the twitter applescript, could never get it it work, strange thing is I used the same account settings when I tried out weatherTracker and it worked ok  !  [lol2]

JC

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Never seen this before. (Re: WC Twitter Uploader)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Hi Rich, JC, and WeatherCat fans,

I installed the apple scripts and configured the information for my twitter account.  I ran the script it asked for a pin and i put it in.  The script now runs and says it's posted to my account  but there is nothing there when I look.  What did I miss?

I got the same problem when using the twitter applescript, could never get it it work, strange thing is I used the same account settings when I tried out weatherTracker and it worked ok  !  [lol2]

I took a quick look and there is an update to some of this software.  However, it doesn't indicate that this should cause problems.  I'm confident that the script works with OS-10.7 and I hadn't heard anyone having problems with 10.8 - so I assume this isn't due to Apple system changes.

Also, I just checked and my own Twitter updates are continuing to occur as usual.  So Twitter hasn't changed anything to break this feature.

I suspect that somehow in both cases something was out of whack when you tried to enter the data (like an accidentally incorrect PIN.)  I just checked, there are entries in my keychain that appear to be from ASTwitterLibrary.  You might to quit the WC Twitter Uploader script, delete those entries in the keychain and allow the ASTwitterLibrary to create a new set of keychain entries.  That might allow the script to reset itself and now update your Twitter account correctly.

I'm really busy at the moment but when I have a chance, I'll see if it is possible to use the updated ASTwitterLibrary in these scripts without too much pain.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 12:26:08 AM »
The Twitter Uploader Script is working fine for me on Mountain Lion.

When I first set up the script, I was getting the notification that it was posting, but nothing was actually there. I found that I'd fiddled with the text string and was trying to send more than 140 characters. A little editing fixed that. If you have a long station name, that might put you over the top.

I have mine sending
Temp: 83 F, Humidity: 66%, Baro: 29.86 in, Wind speed: 4.0 mph from the WSW, Gusts to 10.0 mph , Rain today: 0.0 in,  avon-weather.com

Hope that helps,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

HairyMcLeary

• Strong Breeze
    • DW5912
    • INORTHOT6
  • Station Details: LaCrosse WS2355, iMac 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 03:04:48 AM »
The Twitter Uploader Script is working fine for me on Mountain Lion.

When I first set up the script, I was getting the notification that it was posting, but nothing was actually there. I found that I'd fiddled with the text string and was trying to send more than 140 characters. A little editing fixed that. If you have a long station name, that might put you over the top.

Hope that helps,
Steve

I was experiencing the same issue when I first set up my Twitter upload, editing the text string fixed it. There doesn't appear to be any sort of error message if the string is over 140 characters.

Tony

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks gang! (Re: Trouble with the WC Twitter Uploader)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 09:17:42 PM »
Howdy Steve, Tony, and WeatherCat fans,

Thanks for the report of the over 140 character problem.  There is no way to get error messages back from Twitter, so this does not surprise me that you would have nothing posted in that case.

To make sure your Twitter string isn't over 140 characters, try using the WC Twit String Test.scpt AppleScript that is included in the distribution.  You'll find instructions on how to use it in the WC Twitter Uploader documentation.  It just generates the string and leaves it in the results of the AppleScript editor window so that you get its length and see if you are over.

Thanks again gang!!  [tup]

rasarisi

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0704
    • KCTBETHA4
    • BlueBirds Knoll
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 11:01:44 PM »
well my station name is BlueBirds Knoll, i shortened it to BBK just to see if it works and viola!  Thats what it is!
Thanks for your help!

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 03:32:15 AM »
I'm glad it was simple to fix!

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Glad you are back in business (Re: WC Twitter Uploader)
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 09:13:08 PM »
Howdy Rich, Steve, and WeatherCat fans,

well my station name is BlueBirds Knoll, i shortened it to BBK just to see if it works and viola!  Thats what it is!

Glad everyone was able to give some good advice and all is well now!