Author Topic: Downlod historical data hanging  (Read 3392 times)

AstroSteve

• Gentle Breeze
    • KJ6IIW
    • KCAACTON3
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless, iMac 27"
Downlod historical data hanging
« on: October 25, 2017, 01:15:10 PM »
This was originally in topic "Took a leap of faith and installed High Sierra", http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2570.new;topicseen#new, but when I follow the link in my email it says it's not available to me.

Anyway, ever since upgrading to High Sierra, every now and then I get informed that WC has hung and is restarting. I check the computer and it really hasn't but as soon as I log on it does. The problem is, it hangs while downloading historical data from the weather station. There seems to be no patter as to how to get it to work again.  Sometimes, I have to reboot, sometimes I shut down and others it just finally completes after several force quits. It never hangs on the same record.

I'm running the latest version of WeatherCat, Silicon Labs driver and MacOS. In the previous post I was asked to send a sample of the process, here are 4 of them for comparison.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Downlod historical data hanging
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 04:29:22 PM »
Any chance you have your Mac set to Sleep? I think The Dev suggests having only the Display set to Sleep. System Prefs->Energy Saver: Computer sleep: Never
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

AstroSteve

• Gentle Breeze
    • KJ6IIW
    • KCAACTON3
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 05:08:28 PM »
I have "Prevent computer from sleeping..." checked.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 05:34:28 PM »
High Sierra wording differences? I'm still on macOS 10.12 Sierra on my iMac and OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan on the mini. Neither have a "Prevent computer from sleeping" checkbox. That would be a more logical setting name, even if less granular.  ;)

Absolutely no help for you, unfortunately. :( Only other suggestion is to send a report (~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports) to The Dev (http://trixology.com/contact-us/).

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Check the status of App Nap (Re: Download historical data hanging)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 09:59:15 PM »
Dear AstroSteve, X-Air, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

. .  . .
Anyway, ever since upgrading to High Sierra, every now and then I get informed that WC has hung and is restarting.
. . . .

You might be having the same problem as Bill in this thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2592.msg25117#msg25117

Could you check to see if App Nap is checked for WeatherCat?  You need to Get Info on the Application file and it is near the top of the dialog box.  WeatherCat attempts to automatically disable App Nap, but perhaps High Sierra isn't allowing WeatherCat do to this on its own.  WeatherCat being forced to "nap" by the operating system could be causing the symptoms you are observing.

Cheers, Edouard

AstroSteve

• Gentle Breeze
    • KJ6IIW
    • KCAACTON3
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 10:05:02 PM »
The field is actually called "Prevent App Nap" and it was unchecked. I checked it and will see how things go.  Thank you.

AstroSteve

• Gentle Breeze
    • KJ6IIW
    • KCAACTON3
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 11:48:38 PM »
Dear AstroSteve, X-Air, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

You might be having the same problem as Bill in this thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2592.msg25117#msg25117

Could you check to see if App Nap is checked for WeatherCat?  You need to Get Info on the Application file and it is near the top of the dialog box.  WeatherCat attempts to automatically disable App Nap, but perhaps High Sierra isn't allowing WeatherCat do to this on its own.  WeatherCat being forced to "nap" by the operating system could be causing the symptoms you are observing.

Cheers, Edouard

Well, that didn?t fix it. 2 hours after I set that, I got an email ?WeatherCat watchdog: WeatherCat appears to have hung; rebooting as a precautionary measure.? I went to the computer 30 minutes after the time stamp on the email and it still hadn?t restarted. As soon as I logged on, it restarted but is back to not responding/hanging on historical download. I?m currently on attempt number 20. This morning I lost count how many it took befor it finally got through the download.

Is there a way to have it not do the download? I like not missing data but I don?t have time to sit at the computer for an hour doing Force quit, restart, repeat, till it finally works.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 12:24:45 AM »
I hope The Dev can decipher your problem from the log(s) you've sent. He is quite talented! ThU5:-) I know it is frustrating. [rolleyes2] It may be another app or launch daemon/agent that is conflicting with WC. Hopefully the log(s) will show the details.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 02:30:25 AM »
High Sierra wording differences? I'm still on macOS 10.12 Sierra on my iMac and OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan on the mini. Neither have a "Prevent computer from sleeping" checkbox.

The wording is dependent on the hardware. Older Macs use a different field description.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Anything else you've changed? (Re: Downlod historical data hanging)
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 11:21:38 PM »
Dear AstroSteve and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Well, that didn?t fix it. 2 hours after I set that, I got an email ?WeatherCat watchdog: WeatherCat appears to have hung; rebooting as a precautionary measure.? I went to the computer 30 minutes after the time stamp on the email and it still hadn?t restarted. As soon as I logged on, it restarted but is back to not responding/hanging on historical download. I?m currently on attempt number 20. This morning I lost count how many it took befor it finally got through the download.

So sorry that you are having such problems.  Can you think of anything else that you might have changed that could be involved with this?  Usually new problems are caused by the last change made.  The other thing that comes to mind is that perhaps your Davis data logger is starting to fail somehow.  Do you have a USB logger or are you using the IP logger?

Is there a way to have it not do the download?

The only way to I know of to clear the data logger is with Davis's own software: WeatherLink.  Did you keep your copy?  If you still have it, it would be interesting to see what it reports.  Try simply connecting using the WeatherLink software and try to download some data.  if you see that WeatherLink has problems analogous to WeatherCat, that would be compelling evidence that your data logger is failing.

Let us know what you discover.

Cheers, Edouard

AstroSteve

• Gentle Breeze
    • KJ6IIW
    • KCAACTON3
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 01:57:37 AM »
After about 50 attempts this morning to start WeatherCat, after giving up last night and just turning the PC off, I did a restore to Sierra this morning. When WeatherCat restarted, it downloaded all the data with no problem and has been running fine since. It is obvious to me that I have some incompatibility issues with Davis, High Sierra, Silicon Labs and WeatherCat. High Sierra gives me nothing I need, other than always wanting to be on the latest and greatest, so I'll just stay where I am for now.  If I run clean for a week or so, I'll upgrade WC to 2.4.3, the rollback put me back on 2.4.2.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Very strange - thanks for the update (Re: Downlod historical data hanging)
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 11:40:46 PM »
Dear AstroSteve and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

After about 50 attempts this morning to start WeatherCat, after giving up last night and just turning the PC off, I did a restore to Sierra this morning. When WeatherCat restarted, it downloaded all the data with no problem and has been running fine since. It is obvious to me that I have some incompatibility issues with Davis, High Sierra, Silicon Labs and WeatherCat. High Sierra gives me nothing I need, other than always wanting to be on the latest and greatest, so I'll just stay where I am for now.  If I run clean for a week or so, I'll upgrade WC to 2.4.3, the rollback put me back on 2.4.2.

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.  You are reporting the most serious compatibility issues with High Sierra thus far.  I still hope that Stu will eventually get back to you with respect to the samples you have taken (he usually does these sort of things over the weekend.)  It is definitely disturbing to see the sort of problems you had run into.

Cheers, Edouard

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 11:59:52 AM »
This was originally in topic "Took a leap of faith and installed High Sierra", http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2570.new;topicseen#new, but when I follow the link in my email it says it's not available to me.

Anyway, ever since upgrading to High Sierra, every now and then I get informed that WC has hung and is restarting. I check the computer and it really hasn't but as soon as I log on it does. The problem is, it hangs while downloading historical data from the weather station. There seems to be no patter as to how to get it to work again.  Sometimes, I have to reboot, sometimes I shut down and others it just finally completes after several force quits. It never hangs on the same record.

I'm running the latest version of WeatherCat, Silicon Labs driver and MacOS. In the previous post I was asked to send a sample of the process, here are 4 of them for comparison.

Hi AstroSteve,
All the logs show downloading (or trying to download) from the logger - they're all the same.

A useful tip in a situation like this is to switch on 'Copy Log Entries To Console Log' in WeatherCat's advanced tab of its preferences. This will log all output to the console log.

The next time there's a problem, open Applications->Utilities->Console.app and select the system.log in the left hand pane. There may be messages logged from WeatherCat which will shed some light on what happened (you can enter WeatherCat into the search box to filter on just the WeatherCat entries).