Author Topic: WeatherCat Version 3.0.3 Now Available  (Read 22210 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Strong Breeze
WeatherCat Version 3.0.3 Now Available
« on: October 28, 2018, 01:04:00 AM »
We are pleased to announce that WeatherCat V3.0.3 is now available.

This is a maintenance update to address an issue where WeatherCat may hang on download of data from your data logger.

WeatherCat V3.0.3 is available for immediate download via the following link: https://data.trixology.com/downloads/WeatherCat3.dmg , or, if you are running WeatherCat V3.0.0 or later, you can wait for the update notification within WeatherCat to update automatically.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: WeatherCat Version 3.0.3 Now Available
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 02:26:10 AM »
Thanks!!!

I may wait a week or so before updating the Beta8 I?ve got. Your updates are faster than Apple?s!!! ThU5:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks Stu! (Re: WeatherCat Version 3.0.3 Now Available)
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 09:53:21 PM »
Dear Stu, X-Air, and WeatherCat feature-o-holics, . . .

We are pleased to announce that WeatherCat V3.0.3 is now available.

Thanks Stu! ThU5:-)  I appreciate the extra effort this must have taken considering how busy you are these days. 

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 09:43:49 AM »
Dear Stu and all WC'ers:

Many thanks for the update! i hope this short note conveys my appreciation and deepest thanks for all that you do to keep WeatherCat alive and running like a top!

You simply are the best, Stu.

[rockon] [headbang] ThU5:-)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 04:29:54 PM »
Thanks so much, Stu! After having 3.0.1 shut off for two hours, I installed 3.0.3. It downloaded the pending logger data with no problems, instead of locking up as it did on 3.0.2. Appreciate whatever the fix was!

Computer: 2017 27" iMac Retina 5K, 3.8 GHz i5, 40 GB RAM
Hardware: Davis wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus w/24 hour FARS, wireless anemometer transmitter, Leaf & Soil Temp/Moisture Station, Weatherlink USB data logger
Software: WeatherCat version 3.0.3, USB driver: CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller 5.0.3.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 10:04:50 PM »
My thanks as well, Stu. The best weather software for Mac just got better. I appreciate your quick solution to this, which now removes the obstacle to my upgrade to Mojave.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 08:37:02 PM »
OS update, reboot, working fine, including historic data from logger.

Computer: 2017 27" iMac Retina 5K (Fusion Drive), 3.8 GHz i5, 40 GB RAM
Hardware: Davis wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus w/24 hour FARS, wireless anemometer transmitter, Leaf & Soil Temp/Moisture Station, Weatherlink USB data logger
Software: WeatherCat version 3.0.3, USB driver: CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller 5.0.3.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Upgraded but upgrade progress bar missing? (Re: WeatherCat Version 3.0.3)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 09:33:53 PM »
Dear Stu, Blick, Steve, and WeatherCat feature-o-holics,

I held off upgrading until I was forced to reboot because of memory limitations.  This morning was the day so I upgraded before rebooting.  Everything went fine and all is running well.  However, the WeatherCat updater didn't show any progression of the progress bar.  Instead it just sat there until WeatherCat asked for the admin password to actually do the update.  Definitely small potatoes, but thought I would mention it just in case.  I'm still running High Sierra and I was upgrading from WeatherCat 3.0.1, so that might have been already eliminated.  Just a prudent FYI.

Thanks Stu!! ThU5:-)

Can't get WC Client to connect to 3.0.3 anyone else having this problem

I just fired up version 2.0.0 of the client and it connected right away.  Where are you running the client?  Could you be having some sort of networking issue?

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 12:26:04 PM »
Hello,
I have to report a crash on V3.0.3 - see attached report. By the way, is there a special place or section to post a crash report within the forum? I am not sure if this is the right place for it. Maybe it would be helpful to have a separate WeatherCat Crash Reports section?
Reinhard

PapaChuck

• Calm
    • EW3910
    • KWACAMAN23
  • Station Details: Macbook Pro 2019, 10.14.1, Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 06:44:53 PM »
My 3.0.3 build 8 not working with Mojave on my brand new MacBook Pro (which uses USB C ports).  I am using Apples USB to USB-C converters.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Any additional details? (Re: WeatherCat Version 3.0.3 Now Available)
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 09:42:58 PM »
Dear PapaChuck and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

My 3.0.3 build 8 not working with Mojave on my brand new MacBook Pro (which uses USB C ports).  I am using Apples USB to USB-C converters.

Unfortunately you are the first to attempt this, so you are in unfamiliar territory.  Are you using the latest version of Silicon Lab drivers to connect to your Davis station?  This information is covered on the WeatherCat Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Davis

The webpage to download the drivers is here:

https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

You will have to scroll down to reach the macOS drivers.

Can you provide us with any additional information?  Do you see anything in the system console logs that might be helpful in diagnosing the problem?

Cheers, Edouard

PapaChuck

• Calm
    • EW3910
    • KWACAMAN23
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 02:46:39 AM »
Installed ...
CP210x Macintosh OSX VCP Driver 5.0.6    - September 17, 2018
and restarted ...

nothing untoward happened ... just a control panel showing no data.

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 02:24:36 PM »

Based upon Edouard's response, I take it you are using a serial to USB converter?

I suspect the problem is an incompatible driver because I can assure you WC version 3.0.3 Build 8 works just fine with macOS 10.14.1 (when using WeatherLink IP). It's a real shame WeatherLink IP is expensive because you just never hear of anyone having a connection problem since third-party drivers aren't required.

Further, things are running reasonably well on my MBP test mule running macOS 10.14.2 Build 18C38b (also on WeatherLink IP). Couple irritants but those will be sorted out in due course.

BTW, if looking for alternatives, I think Blick or someone else mentioned the following WxForum thread. I haven't tried the device:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34312.600

PapaChuck

• Calm
    • EW3910
    • KWACAMAN23
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 04:54:23 PM »
yessir am currently using serial to usb converter.

has been a while since I had to fiddle with this system, as it has worked flawlessly for me.

I will afford thew $$$ for the Weatherlionk IP,  What do I need to do?

I will need hand holding, if you are willing, sir.

-- Papa Chuck

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Is USB data logger an option? (Was: WeatherCat Version 3.0.3)
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 10:56:42 PM »
Dear PapaChuck, Felix, and WeatherCat system integrators,

yessir am currently using serial to usb converter.

I had forgotten that the Davis Vantage Pro-2 line ever had a serial data logger.  An alternative in this case would be the Davis USB data logger.  Here is the product link on the Davis website (with Mac software:)

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/weatherlink-for-mac-os-x-for-vantage-stations/

I will afford thew $$$ for the Weatherlionk IP,  What do I need to do?

To go this route, you would need to purchase this Davis product:

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/weatherlinkip-for-vantage-stations/

This product needs to be connected to your home Ethernet network via a cable.  Do you have an Ethernet hub or network router near your console.

The alternative that Felix mentioned is this device sold by a third party maker:

https://www.weatherstations.co.uk/wifi-logger.htm

This has the advantage that you simply need to plug it into your Davis console and (assuming you have WiFi network at your home) you can configure it directly without any cable connection.  We had someone planning to buy one as mentioned on this thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2830.msg27460#msg27460

Unfortunately, the author of that thread never did get back to us to confirm that it was working well.

Whatever product you choose to buy, take the time to shop around.  There are a number of online businesses that discount these products substantially.

Let us know how we can help you from here.