Author Topic: 2017 Solar Eclipse  (Read 4684 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
2017 Solar Eclipse
« on: August 13, 2017, 11:22:58 PM »
I figured the "Observations" area would be the obvious place for this observation. Hope those of you in the path have clear skies on the 21st! If you don't have the safety glasses by now, you probably will have to settle for seeing only the "Totality" part of this event. On the other hand, watching the people watching the rest of the event can be very entertaining, also!

Please don't even try watching this without proper eye protection!
Look for "ISO 12312-2" (sometimes written as ISO 12312-2:2015) printed on any device used to view the Sun. However, be aware that there are also scammers that are printing this on fake glasses!!

Here's the best interactive map I've come across to let you see where you might want to be. The map starts on the coast of Oregon, scroll down to see how and where the Moon's shadow will be:

If you've never seen a total solar eclipse (like me), you might get an inkling of why they can be addicting by watching this vid.
Please don't even try watching this without proper eye protection!
Look for "ISO 12312-2" (sometimes written as ISO 12312-2:2015) printed on any device used to view the Sun. However, be aware that there are also scammers that are printing this on fake glasses!!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
An event requiring careful preparation. (Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 11:33:07 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat fans of astronomy,

Hope those of you in the path have clear skies on the 21st!

I decided I wasn't going to do anything about the eclipse, but Sky and Telescope magazine has been buzzing about this event literally for years and telescope vendors have been pushing solar instruments for months.  Anyone who wanted to see the event really should have gotten prepared by now.  I suppose you can still get safety glasses, but if you haven't prepared by now, you'll need to be a quick study to make anything of the event and do it safely.

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
A weather angle for eclipse? (Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 11:07:36 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat observers of nature,

For most of us in the USofA, we'll be experiencing a very substantial partial solar eclipse.  It should get very dark for many of us and that should be taken seriously.  For example driving will be more like at the end of the day instead of in the morning.  The eclipse will also have an effect on animals.  All these things we can observe without actually being in the path of totality.

One thing we can all do without too much fuss is monitor our webcam.  We should see the temperatures decrease as the eclipse progresses.  Since WeatherCat includes that information on the webcam, it is there for all to see.

It might be fun to upload our daily webcam movie to your favorite web video service and post a link here on the WeatherCat forum.  It should be interesting to see how the eclipse effects the weather in different parts of the country.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 11:56:56 PM »
The effect of the "totality shadow" will be one of the objectives of a team send aloft a very high altitude balloon off the left coast next Monday. While they will certainly be way above any clouds, they will not be observing the eclipse directly. Instead, their instruments, including cameras, will be watching for the effects of the shadow on many weather factors such as air temp, cloud formation changes, etc. I think the team is from several universities around the country, but the University of Oregon is the main/lead group.

I've noticed there are many "NASA" icons on some 'eclipse' maps which I think means they will have video cameras feeding their network. I would not be surprised if some of those would be live. I think most cable/satellite services have a NASA TV channel.

I'm not sure there will be much change in the daylight for those over 178.64 miles from the extreme edges 'totality' track (generally about 70 miles wide). I could easily be of by a factor of 2, of course. Found this, but can't vouch for it's scientific accuracy, it's one of those "Coverage you can count on" TV stations! cmu:-)
...Even at 99% blocked, the sun is still 10,000 times brighter than it would be in totality. Beatty says that if you were walking around New York City on August 21 and were unaware that the eclipse was happening, you may not even notice. "At around 80%, or around 200 miles from the path of totality, you will begin to notice something is going on."

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Noticeable at more than 200 miles (Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse)
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 11:57:32 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat eclipse observers,

Found this, but can't vouch for it's scientific accuracy, it's one of those "Coverage you can count on" TV stations! cmu:-)
...Even at 99% blocked, the sun is still 10,000 times brighter than it would be in totality. Beatty says that if you were walking around New York City on August 21 and were unaware that the eclipse was happening, you may not even notice. "At around 80%, or around 200 miles from the path of totality, you will begin to notice something is going on."

That isn't accurate.  In 1979, there was an eclipse that crossed the southern end Baja Mexico.  I thought of trying to drive there with my trusty wagon, but thought better of it!  From Northern California one could see that things were significantly dimmer than normal.  My house is at about 80% of totality.  It should be easily visible on the WeatherCat webcam images.

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. Assuming we aren't fogged in at the time.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 01:01:36 AM »
We will be at 80% totality. I'm making a simple pinhole viewer.

April 8, 2024 will be another continent spanning total eclipse, but of slightly longer duration. That one's center passes within two miles of my house. I'll wait for that one instead of traveling.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

TechnoMonkey

• Strong Breeze
    • EW9323
    • KTXARANS6
    • TechnoMonkeys Weather
  • Station Details: La Crosse WS-2315 / High Sierra Server / Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8GB Ram / OS 120GB SSD / Home Folder 500GB FireWire / DATA 8TB RAID 5 / 1TB TIME CAPSULE
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 02:31:47 AM »
The Annular on October 14, 2023 will pass right over me, but the April 8, 2024 Total will only require a two hour drive to San Antonio.  San Antonio gets both.

I would love to see the upcoming one, but 2 days of driving for a 2 minute show?  Not gonna happen.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Might find information on NWS forecast discussion. (Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse)
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 10:30:06 PM »
Dear WeatherCat eclipse watchers,

The Monterey office of the National Weather Service saved me the trouble of finding out the local timing of the partial eclipse.  That information was included in this afternoon's forecast discussion.  To be precise (and I quote: )

"The eclipse of the sun will begin shortly after 9:00 am PDT for the Bay Area with peak obscuration happening around 10:15 am PDT. Peak obscuration of the sun will range from 71 percent in Monterey and up to 78 percent in Santa Rosa."

So if you are looking for that information, you might find it in of one the resources you already frequent.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 10:57:18 PM »
Should you wish to follow along for the entire event and from many different perspectives, try:NASA eclipse-live-stream. There are about a dozen ways to watch and a description of where the cameras will be.

Type in your zip code and this site will show you an animated graphic displaying what the eclipse will look like in that zip code. It also provides some info about how much and what time the event will occur. My area has the following:
The eclipse will peak at 1:23:28 pm CDT, when the moon obscures 93.5% of the sun.
Where I plan on being Monday is a bit better:
The eclipse will peak at 1:13:52 pm CDT, when the moon obscures 100% of the sun.
Of course, what we'll all see will depend on what else is in the sky! [lol]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks for the pointers. (Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse)
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 10:23:20 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat observers of natural phenomena,

Thanks for the pointers to all that information.  Since once more I'm unable to reach the location of totality and got a good view of the 1979 partial eclipse, I'll mostly sit this one out.  However, perhaps other WeatherCatters will get more out of the eclipse.  I will try to create movie of the darkening skies from the WeatherCat webcam, but this may be a bust depending on how heavy the fog turns out to be on Monday morning.

Cheers, Edouard