Author Topic: ISS Battery Fail  (Read 3682 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
ISS Battery Fail
« on: December 02, 2014, 07:18:11 PM »
This morning, I received this email:

Code: [Select]
WeatherCat Vantage Driver: Station Power Alert. Transmitter battery failure.
ISS battery - Fail.
Transmitter 2 - Good.
Transmitter 3 - Good.
Transmitter 4 - Good.
Transmitter 5 - Good.
Transmitter 6 - Good.
Transmitter 7 - Good.
Transmitter 8 - Good.

WeatherCat TimeStamp: 08:47:41 02-Dec-14

When I checked my ISS unit I discovered that a friend who helped me move my anemometer last July, failed to connect the solar panel when he put the cover back in place. So now I know that a battery lasts at least 5 months running without the capacitor helping out.

Three hours later, I got around to changing the battery. I restarted WeatherCat (to clear 28,000 sensor errors) and saw in the log that the startup battery test failed.

A few seconds later I received this email:

WeatherCat Vantage Driver: Station Power Alert. Transmitter battery failure.
ISS battery - Fail.
Transmitter 2 - Good.
Transmitter 3 - Good.
Transmitter 4 - Good.
Transmitter 5 - Good.
Transmitter 6 - Good.
Transmitter 7 - Good.
Transmitter 8 - Good.

WeatherCat TimeStamp: 12:03:55 02-Dec-14

I tested the battery before I installed it and it showed 3.12 v. As it is the only battery I have (I don't buy them by the truck load like Edouard and Herb), I used it.

I assume that under load, its voltage is low enough to fail the WeatherCat battery test. Can someone confirm this theory? I hope I am not starting down the same road Edouard is traveling with ISS batteries.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: ISS Battery Fail
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 08:31:22 PM »
Hi Blick
 What does it show in the Preference/Vantage Hardware Options?
Transmitter Battery Status

8-7-6-5-4-3-2-ISS
cheers

[cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Davis won't clear error until midnight. (Re: ISS Battery Fail)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 10:07:20 PM »
Dear Blick, Randall, and WeatherCat Davis owners,

When I checked my ISS unit I discovered that a friend who helped me move my anemometer last July, failed to connect the solar panel when he put the cover back in place. So now I know that a battery lasts at least 5 months running without the capacitor helping out.

That's what the Davis techs had told me.  Also, my 6382 transmitter (which is identical to the ISS board) can go 4-5 months on one battery.  I change them after 4 months to avoid the annoying error messages you are now suffering from.

A few seconds later I received this email:

. . . . .

I tested the battery before I installed it and it showed 3.12 v. As it is the only battery I have (I don't buy them by the truck load like Edouard and Herb), I used it.

;) . . . . . Well, of course you are supposed to buy batteries in bulk, otherwise how is Herb going to get his commission?  . . .  . [lol]

Actually, the battery you have put in should be fine.  You need to either reset the console to get the error to stop or just ignore it.  The console continues to report the problem even after the condition has been resolved until midnight when it resets automatically.  There is a procedure to reset the console, but I'm too lazy to do that.  I'm not sure I even can since I would have to reset the Weather Envoy.

Hopefully that will reassure you!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Davis won't clear error until midnight. (Re: ISS Battery Fail)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 12:49:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies Randall and Edouard.

What does it show in the Preference/Vantage Hardware Options?
Transmitter Battery Status

8-7-6-5-4-3-2-ISS

Transmitter status is Good

Actually, the battery you have put in should be fine.  You need to either reset the console to get the error to stop or just ignore it.  The console continues to report the problem even after the condition has been resolved until midnight when it resets automatically.  There is a procedure to reset the console, but I'm too lazy to do that.  I'm not sure I even can since I would have to reset the Weather Envoy.

I intended to open up the Davis manual and figure out how to clear the console error message but I got sidetracked whilst starting my car to discover I have a crack in my exhaust pipe, just before it enters the catalytic converter. The noise made me jump, but reminded me of my old 1956 Chevy Impala with glass packs. Wish I still had that car but it was't built for snow-packed mountain roads.

Anyway, I can report that the console did clear itself at midnight. I received the following email from WeatherCat:

WeatherCat Vantage Driver: ***Station Power Advice*** All transmitter batteries are good.

WeatherCat TimeStamp: 00:00:10 03-Dec-14

Thanks for the information Eduardo.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Queen of da' snow!! (Was: ISS Battery Fail)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:49:37 PM »
Dear Blick, Randall, and WeatherCat winter motoring enthusiasts, . . .

Anyway, I can report that the console did clear itself at midnight.

;) . . . . . Would I lie do you about a thing like this!! . . . . .  [biggrin]

The noise made me jump, but reminded me of my old 1956 Chevy Impala with glass packs. Wish I still had that car but it was't built for snow-packed mountain roads.

;) . . . . And exactly why don't you think that a 1956 Chevy Impala isn't built for snow-packed mountain roads?  . . . . . According to this period Chevy brochure that you can buy on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Chevrolet-Impala-convertible-2g-large-GM-car-ad-poster-print-gift-1957-1955-/311163729271?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item4872cdb577&vxp=mtr

The Chevy Impala was (to quote) the queen of the snow!!

Maybe it is time for you to search for anuther!!  [lol2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]