Author Topic: WeatherCat SeaMonkey web templates now available.  (Read 72800 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
How about this? (Re: WeatherCat SeaMonkey web templates)
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 09:22:39 PM »
Dear Steve, Mark, Blick, and WeatherCat web user-interface "experts" . . . . .  ;D

Okay, I came up with one way to skin this cat(fish) . . . .   [biggrin]

It doesn't seem to me to be overwhelming to have both the recent data and the year to year data on one page if you provide some navigation to skip from one to the other.  So here is my statistics page on my Canebas site arranged in this way:

http://www.canebas.org/Weather/Canebas_statistics.html

This sort of navigation is simple enough that it gets the job done and isn't too disruptive or overloads the main user interface.

As I suggested, I just don't feel like the records really belong on this page anyway.  So I put it at the bottom of the station page.  Like the statistics page I have put a quick link to skip down to the records.

http://www.canebas.org/Weather/Canebas_station.html

Since the records aren't a huge amount of information, it doesn't look unreasonable on the station page and after all, the records seen on at the station do sort of belong on the station page in a way - even if it isn't entirely expected.  It just occurred to me that I could also add a link from the statistics page to the records data so that folks looking specifically for this would have a quick path to it.

What do you think about something like this?  It isn't perfect, but none of this stuff ever is, so somewhere you've gotta compromise!

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: WeatherCat SeaMonkey web templates now available.
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 07:18:34 AM »
I think it's a nice compromise that provides all the data without overcomplicating the page.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 02:04:48 PM »
We'll probably have as many opinions as replies, so anything will be a compromise. It is your template, so whichever you think is best is probably what you should post.

As for my opinion, I consider a record to be a statistic. I don't think anyone would think to go to my "About" page (the equivalent of your "Station" page) to see what the hottest day was. Apparently Stu considered records to be statistics, as he had them as part of LWC's ST1$ statistics tag, and now has them as STrecords$

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Choose your poison! (Re: WeatherCat SeaMonkey web templates)
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 09:37:15 PM »
Howdy Steve, Blick, and WeatherCat fans,

We'll probably have as many opinions as replies, so anything will be a compromise. It is your template, so whichever you think is best is probably what you should post.

Well, actually I don't think about it that way.  My personal website is one thing, but the template should be as much a consensus as possible.  It's purpose is to allow someone new to WeatherCat to get their feet wet with templates, so it should be as "plain vanilla" as possible so that it has the maximum general appeal.

As for my opinion, I consider a record to be a statistic. I don't think anyone would think to go to my "About" page (the equivalent of your "Station" page) to see what the hottest day was. Apparently Stu considered records to be statistics, as he had them as part of LWC's ST1$ statistics tag, and now has them as STrecords$

Well, unfortunately your points aren't exactly on the mark.  Of course a record is a statistic - what else could it be?  However, it is a kind of statistic that also has a special interest to a visitor who is curious about what the weather is like at your location.  An idea of the extremes is a very good way to size up the kind of climate at physical location.  So I think argument can be made for having the statistics on weather extremes in both parts of a weather website - but that is of course a bit gabby.

So there are potentially 3 different ways of resolving this:

• One could keep all statistics on the statistics page and provide some sort of 3-way navigation to hope between these 3 different sort of statistics.  That's what I initially was planning to do.
  • You could implement option #1, but add a link from your location and/or station page so that people who are curious about the extremes at your station could quickly jump to that information from those other pages.
  • You could implement the records as part of the station or location page, but then provide links so that people looking for the records could easily jump to these records from the statistics page.  That way people who are expecting to find the records on the statistics page nonetheless find it quickly.

Now I'm not sure what I want on my personal page.  As far as a conservative and plain-vanilla template for everyone else to use, what does the community suggest?

A curious mind wants to know!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 02:46:02 AM »
Option ! like you were originally planning.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 08:35:37 AM »
WeatherCat offers finer control over the output - the old tags are present for compatibility with older pages, but shouldn't be used any more. A complete list of the current ones can be found at: http://live.trixology.com/custom/

Cheers,
Stu.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 03:52:45 PM »
I like Option 1 as well. I also like the fabulous breadth of data options Stu has provided in WeatherCat!
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Option #1 it is! (Re: WeatherCat SeaMonkey web templates)
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 10:17:11 PM »
Dear Steve, Stu, Blick, and WeatherCat fans,

;) . . . Alright, alight, alright already!! . . .  >:(

Actually option #1 was very much what I expected.  Now it is up to me to come up with a simple but sufficient way to navigate between the three types of statistics.

WeatherCat offers finer control over the output - the old tags are present for compatibility with older pages, but shouldn't be used any more. A complete list of the current ones can be found at: http://live.trixology.com/custom/

Unfortunately, this is a case where haste definitely made waste.  I was almost certain that the statistics tags had changed.  However, in the race to switch from LWC to WeatherCat last year, I only fixed what was completely broken.  When I started to revise the template last week, i was confused by the fact that the tag hadn't broken outright.  I hadn't kept the old documentation from the LWC/WeatherCat transition, so I couldn't figure out what was happening to me.  Therefore I took the obvious way out - I was lazy!!  [sleep]

Oh well, stay tuned for the fix!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
New statistics page. (Re: WeatherCat SeaMonkey web templates)
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 07:37:10 PM »
Dear WeatherCat web templates user-feedback committee,

Okay, I've come up with a simple but I believe satisfactory version of the statistics page.  You can look at it here:

http://www.canebas.org/Weather/SeaMonkey/statistics.html

There appears to be a problem with the width of the page exceeding the size of my top graphic, alas that's a WeatherCat bug that I'll report shortly.

The hyperlinks are not particularly spiffy, but they get the job done and are unobstrusive.

So what you all think?  Does this pass the bar?

P.S. There is now some redundancy between the recent weather on this page and the index page.  I looked it over and thought it was still okay.  Any objections?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 07:46:30 PM »
Edouard:

I like it. I don't mind the redundancy. The way I look at it, there are some quick facts on the home page and if you want more stats go to the stats page.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 12:33:08 AM »
 [tup]
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Commodore

• Gentle Breeze
    • Commodore Mark
  • Station Details: 27" iMac and a Mac mini but no weather station yet.
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 04:00:07 AM »
I like it!
Alas, I don't have a weather station...but I'm going to have one real soon now.  :-(

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Will update docs and "ship it." (Re: WeatherCat SeaMonkey web templates)
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2013, 07:55:17 PM »
Dear Blick, Steve, Mark and WeatherCat webmisters

Okay, sounds good.  I need to update the documentation and I might make one more tweak if I can find a little time.  Unfortunately, the nightmare disguised as a hobby is beckoning . . . . . . . .

It may take me a few days to get this new version out the door.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2013, 08:37:19 PM »
No worries.

Unfortunately, the nightmare disguised as a hobby is beckoning . . . . . . . .

Did you get confirmation that the breather is causing the leaks?
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Leaks and no clear mechanism. (Re: WeatherCat SeaMonkey)
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 09:23:55 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat automotive enthusiasts,

Apologies for quick digression.

Unfortunately, the nightmare disguised as a hobby is beckoning . . . . . . . .

Did you get confirmation that the breather is causing the leaks?

It seems clear that the PCV system cannot be responsible for the leaks.  It is working properly.  Right now there are 5 leak areas: both head gaskets, the oil pan, the block-off plate for where the mechanical fuel pump would have been (the car has an electric fuel pump for the EFI system,) and a leak in the main rear crankshaft bearing.  The engine builder hasn't been able to come up with a hypothesis and proposes: try driving the car a few hundred miles to see if the leaks stop as the engine breaks itself in.

I'm about to discuss the situation with Orinda Motors and see what to do.  *Sigh*, not feeling very good about this.  :(

Edouard