Author Topic: WeatherCat Version 1.1.5 Released  (Read 7443 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Strong Breeze
WeatherCat Version 1.1.5 Released
« on: April 01, 2013, 09:52:06 AM »
We are very pleased to announce the release and immediate availability of WeatherCat version 1.1.5.

This is a maintenance update to fix a crash on Mac OS X 10.8.3 that can happen whilst sending data to the Citizen Weather Observer Program (C.W.O.P.).

Requirements
Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later (Intel only)
An older release that supports PowerPC machines is available to download from our WeatherCat page: http://trixology.com/weathercat/

Download:
http://resources.trixology.com/downloads/WeatherCat.zip (16.3MB, build 232)

SDK
A software development kit is also available for WeatherCat, documentation and example project included (Xcode 4)): http://resources.trixology.com/downloads/WeatherCatSDK100d2.zip

rasarisi

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0704
    • KCTBETHA4
    • BlueBirds Knoll
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless & Vantage Vue Wirelless Console
Re: WeatherCat Version 1.1.5 Released
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 12:49:35 PM »
I have an issue with this 1.1.5 release that i've never seen before.  It worked fine for 2 days with no issues.  Then yesterday afternoon i started getting ftp errors saying that it can't connect to the ftp sever.  Server down?  I manually connect to my ftp server using Transmit -- same user name and password same directory.  I'm not sure what's wrong but never saw this issue before.  Is 1.1.4 some where i can grab it and see if it resolves the issue?  Or you need me to collect some logs?

Okay dropped back to 1.1.4 same issue i'm getting two FTP errors error 7 and error 911 -- I tried connecting to the server using safari ftp.bluebirdsknoll.com same login and password and it works.  So the issue seems to be only related to weathercat.

Thanks

Rich

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 03:45:36 PM »
Hi Rich,
There haven't been any changes to the FTP code, so nothing's changed there. Error 7 happens when it can't connect, the 911 is given after two consecutive attempts fail.

If you open WeatherCat's log window from the Tools menu, then go the Misc 2 pane of WeatherCat's preferences and switch on FTP logging and let it run for a bit (logging the FTP errors) there may be some additional info which can shed some light on what's happening.

rasarisi

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0704
    • KCTBETHA4
    • BlueBirds Knoll
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 06:39:29 PM »
very strange indeed this is all I get

1:37:35 PM 06-Apr-2013:  Aux. FTP: curl: (7) couldn't connect to host
 1:37:35 PM 06-Apr-2013:  Aux. FTP: FTP ERROR (7) - Couldn't connect to host. Server down?
 1:37:35 PM 06-Apr-2013:  Aux. FTP: FTP ERROR 910: Failed to complete upload (null) - retrying in 1 second.
 1:37:36 PM 06-Apr-2013:  Aux. FTP: Uploading WCT_realtime.txt. (19 files left to upload.)
 1:37:36 PM 06-Apr-2013:  Aux. FTP: Uploading realtimegaugesWC.txt. (18 files left to upload.)
 1:37:36 PM 06-Apr-2013:  Aux. FTP: Uploading realtimegaugesWC.txt. (17 files left to upload.)
 1:37:36 PM 06-Apr-2013:  Aux. FTP: Uploading WCT_realtime.txt. (16 files left to upload.)
 1:37:36 PM 06-Apr-2013:  Aux. FTP: Uploading realtimegaugesWC.txt. (15 files left to upload.)
 1:37:36 PM 06-Apr-2013:  Aux. FTP: Uploading realtimegaugesWC.txt. (14 files left to upload.)

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 08:40:13 PM »
Looking at that it looks like you're getting an occasional failure to connect - this may be a temporary condition on your FTP server (no connection, then files uploading). If it doesn't resolve by itself in the next few hours, contact your ISP to see if they can shed any light on the issue - they may be doing some maintenance for example.

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 09:09:51 PM »
That's weird as that's the same FTP problem I've been having with the last two releases.  [lol2]

Past few days since I updated to release 1.1.5 I"m getting a very strange problem.

Edouard's Applescript for the system console has not worked since I moved to the Mac mini, occasionally since I installed release 1.1.5 it decides to work and when it does it screws up my web page as the WeatherCat tags are not processed. Then when the tags are working and my web site is processed the system console does not process.  [interesting]

It only affects WeatherCat tags for my site, the ss gauges are processed ok as are external links for weather maps etc.

JC

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »
There haven't been any changes to the FTP code in either 1.1.4 or 1.1.5 - if you're getting an error 7 it's because the FTP server isn't responding.  If you're getting pages uploaded that have raw tags in them, it means that page hasn't been processed by WeatherCat. [Edit: Actually I'm not sure how you can get a page uploaded if it hasn't been processed apart from if there's an error on the page that causes the processing to abort]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Can you send me some console log entries? (Re: WeatherCat 1.1.5)
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 09:31:39 PM »
Hi JC and WeatherCat fans,

Edouard's Applescript for the system console has not worked since I moved to the Mac mini, occasionally since I installed release 1.1.5 it decides to work and when it does it screws up my web page as the WeatherCat tags are not processed. Then when the tags are working and my web site is processed the system console does not process.  [interesting]

Hmm,  golly haven't heard of any reason for these scripts to not work.  I just checked your website, they appear to be working at the moment.  When you see it broken could you go through the console entries and see if there are any errors reported there.  I would expect that if they aren't working you should see something.

You might also try reinstalling the AppleScripts just in case there is a problem because of the change of OS-X.  Quit the AppleScripts, Save the files in:

~/WeatherCat Scripts/WeatherCat Script Library/WeatherCat Script Prefs

and

~/WeatherCat Scripts/WeatherCat Script Library/WeatherCat Script Data Backups

Then download a fresh copy of the scripts and put your preferences and state data into the same folders on the new installation.  Then you can restart them again.  There are definite differences in AppleScript applications between OS-10.6 and later versions of OS-X.  That could be the problem.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. I think you need to change WeatherCatBD$ to just BD$ in order to get the WeatherCat version number to display directly on your station console web page.

rasarisi

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0704
    • KCTBETHA4
    • BlueBirds Knoll
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 01:16:30 PM »
i still have the same issue, i can connect manually using any ftp program or even using safari.  The only thing that has changed on my system is I installed the Mountain Lion Server App.  That changed the host name to server.local.  Are you using the hostname for anything that might be causing the issue because it changed?

I'm thinking of completely removing the cat and reinstalling from scratch.  Where are all the config files located that store the station info and all the ftp, cwop and weather underground logins?  I want to delete them all and install it like its never been on my system before.  Of course I have all that stuff backed up incase I want to put it back.

Thanks

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 07:32:56 PM »
I wouldn't think the hostname would have anything to do with - if it did you'd be getting permanent failures. I'm not sure how the Server installation changes the system, but for some files to be uploaded and then to get a connection failure suggests the FTP server is not responding  - if your ISP says everything should be fine (they aren't limiting you for example due to repetitive or too frequent connections) then it might be some firewall issue - maybe the server software has set something up - possibly an auto-block rule for repetitive connections?

A list of everything you need to remove WeatherCat can be found on the installation pages on the wiki (under moving to another machine): http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Installation_And_Requirements.

rasarisi

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0704
    • KCTBETHA4
    • BlueBirds Knoll
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 10:01:56 PM »
Thanks for the info -- I did try it, and it made no difference.  So it seems that maybe the isp is blocking the incoming ftp from the weathercat server.  Since my sites are hosted on my buddies server through hostgator I talked to him and asked him to check for me.  I'll let you know if I find anything out.

Thanks for your help

Rich

rasarisi

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0704
    • KCTBETHA4
    • BlueBirds Knoll
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 02:31:57 AM »
Just wanted to let you know that I moved the website from HostGator to GoDaddy and the problem went away.  Don't know why there was an issue but it's solved now.  Thanks for your help.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 04:40:53 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post an update.

Ruyton

• Gentle Breeze
    • ISHROPSH19
    • Shotatton Weather
  • Station Details: Davie Vantage Vue
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 01:04:37 PM »
Latest version installed and running OK  :D
Gary - Shrewsbury UK