Author Topic: Steel Gauges  (Read 221496 times)

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Steel Gauges
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 03:48:34 AM »
Sounds sensible. OK, I'll get on with the additional tags - should be in the first 1.2 development build.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 01:39:55 PM »
Hi Col,
I've just posted a development build of version 1.1.3 which I believe contains everything you need:
http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=604.0

Give it a go and let me know how you get on.

UncleBuck

• Strong Breeze
    • IVICTORI276
    • Point Cook Weather
  • Station Details: Oregon WMR200, MAC OS X 10.10, WeatherCat V2
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 12:17:28 AM »
Ok, time for an update on where things are at with this....

Stu,
Thanks for all your work on this as it is greatly appreciated. All the exposed tags appear to be working as expected and the page is updating nicely. I still haven't been able to test the rain side of things as we haven't had any rain here since 20th Dec and as you may have seen in the news lately there are in fact major bushfires up and down the East coast of Australia so I don't expect to be able to test this part for a while yet. The BoM have stated that we are unlikely to get any relief until some time in late February.

Now for the bits that aren't yet working (please don't kill me for this)....
In the original request for the tags I inadvertently missed out some important points, however, in my defence this was probably due to the fact that I was still trying to understand the format of the Realtime file that the gauges require.

The Apparent Temp (AT) needs to also show the following:
The max and min AT for a given time period (e.g. SINCE9AM etc.).
The time that the max and min occurred in that time period.

The Wind Gust also requires the following:
The bearing of the max wind gust in a given time period. For example, if you show the max wind gust SINCE9AM, at what bearing was that gust.

Dominant Wind direction:
This appears to be using data from 0000 to 2359 and you cannot select a specific time period, is that correct?

Windrose data:
This appears to be using data from 0000 to 2359 and you cannot select a specific time period, is that correct?

I was unable to see a tag for UTC in the live view page at http://live.trixology.com/custom/. Was this implemented and I can't find it, or was it an oversight or have no just not got to it yet?

In regards to rain, this is a bit of a weird one.
They also use a tag for max total rain in one hour for a given time period and a tag for the time of that event. This would show up as something like 14mm at 10:00 am. As far as I can work out for this one, WC would need to total the amount of rain for each hour and then report the time as a single hour time stamp.
For example:
If there was 14mm of rain between 0900 and 1000 and there was 12mm of rain between 1000 and 1100 then the tags they use are (i believe) as follows,
"hourlyrainTH": this would display 14
"ThourlyrainTH": and this would display 1000

Additional tags that are in the realtime file:
The version and build number of the application are in two separate tags "version" and "build".
There is a tag for the Beaufort scale called "Tbeaufort" which is a text field stating the description of the Beaufort scale number (e.g. 4 = "Moderate breeze"). What I can't seem to work out on this at the moment is whether it actually pertains to the current windspeed or gust or average.
There is also a "SensorContactLost" tag, which I believe contains either a 0 or 1 but I am still unclear on this.

I feel like I am giving you way to much to do on this and I don't want it to take time away from more important updates and fixes but I known there are several people out there who would like to get this up and running and I believe it may be a way to expand the WC user base even further.

Col.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 06:19:19 PM »
Thanks for the update Col, I hope the temperatures you're experiencing there at the moment aren't being too much of a problem for you.

The wind rose data and dominant direction is for today (since local midnight), if you want it from 9am, let me know.

Sorry, I missed the UTC time, I'll get that into the next release and see what I can do about the other stuff.

If you find out more, let me know.

Cheers,
Stu.

UncleBuck

• Strong Breeze
    • IVICTORI276
    • Point Cook Weather
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 09:08:23 PM »
The wind rose data and dominant direction is for today (since local midnight), if you want it from 9am, let me know.
Stu,
I do all readings SINCE9AM as that is how Australia does it's weather readings but I suspect there are a lot of folk out there that do not do it this way and so it would need to be an option for all the tags rather than a default.

Last night I changed the WINDROSE8$ over to WINDROSE45$ just to see if it could handle it, and guess what, it does. So the Steel Gauge Windrose can be used with either of those tags. One thing I did notice last night using the WINDROSE8$ was the the data was showing the longest wind run in a Southerly direction but the DOMWDTEXT$ was still say "W". I am still checking this part out to see if it was just a once off.

Col.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 12:49:56 PM »
Hi Col,
Yes, as it is it's certainly possible that the dominant wind would be different to the appearance of the wind rose, as it's just the longest vector (a sudden gust for example could do this).

I think what needs to happen is the dominant wind direction needs to look at sectors rather than 1 degree resoultion - 16 sectors I suspect would work well. I'll have a play with this.

UncleBuck

• Strong Breeze
    • IVICTORI276
    • Point Cook Weather
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 05:12:51 AM »
BTW, the request for UTC.... The format they expect in the file is yyyy,m,d,h,m,s
Stu,
I need to do a correction on this bit.... I was wrong about the UTC date format and it should be in the same format as the local date. The script does the reformatting as required.

Col.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 09:46:37 AM »
No worries Col, will the format you posted previously work OK?

UncleBuck

• Strong Breeze
    • IVICTORI276
    • Point Cook Weather
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 11:33:53 AM »
If you mean the yyyy,m,d,h,m,s then I don't think it will. Putting it in the same format that you have for the de$ t24s$ tags (but obviously UTC time) it should work fine.

I am currently using those tags for the timeUTC and it hasn't produced any errors.

To sum up, these are the missing tags we would need to have available before the author will consider including the Weather Cat changes into the base code:
<#timeUTC>   The current UTC date/time rather than local date/time
<#SensorContactLost>   1 if the station has lost contact with its remote sensors 0 if contact has been established
<#apptempTH>   Today's high apparent temperature
<#TapptempTH>   Time of today's high apparent temperature
<#apptempTL>   Today's low apparent temperature
<#TapptempTL>   Time of today's low apparent temperature
<#bearingTM>   The wind bearing at the time of today's high gust (i.e. STAT$WINDGUST:MAX:SINCE9AM$) in degrees
<#hourlyrainTH>   Today's highest hourly rain
<#ThourlyrainTH>   Time of today's highest hourly rain

There are a lot of other tags that Cumulus has available that can be found at http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Webtags but the above ones that the author wants to see working first. The <#SensorContactLost> tag would be nice to have, it is not that important.

Col.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 10:46:45 AM »
Thanks Col,
I'll get some more into the next release. The max hourly rain and time can be produced with:
STAT$RAIN:MAX:TODAY$ and STAT$RAIN:MAX:TODAY:TIME$

Cheers,
Stu.

UncleBuck

• Strong Breeze
    • IVICTORI276
    • Point Cook Weather
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 08:06:13 PM »
Thanks Stu,
Not sure how I managed to miss those two webtags.

I have now modified the display of the SS-Gauges to include a Windrun odometer. Just need to figure out how to get it to display in the right place when viewing them on a smartphone or tablet.

Col.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 03:06:45 PM »
Hi Col.
Is it planned to give us a "ready to use" template that we can use for our own websites? Would be great! They are looking really cool.
Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

UncleBuck

• Strong Breeze
    • IVICTORI276
    • Point Cook Weather
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 07:55:13 PM »
Reinhard,
As soon as the last few webtags are implemented, I will put together templates and instructions on what needs to be done to get the gauges going on your own site.

I would like someone to test the gauges first on their site but it really needs to be someone with a solar sensor and preferably some who is getting rain.
We haven't had enough rain here to register in the rain gauge sine 20th Dec so haven't yet been able to confirm those are working correctly yet.

Col.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 08:11:16 PM »
Well, if you are looking for template beta testers, I'm certainly available. I'm retired and enjoy playing with new ideas for my web site. I've been Edouard's go to tester when he's tried a new AppleScript. I'd asked early on in WeatherCat development about being able to implement the Steel Series gauges, so I'm really pleased to see you getting so close!

Davis VP2 with Solar and UV, as well as soil station. I can't promise rain any time soon, but we should be getting more snow, which melts in my home made collector heater, so I'll have precipitation. ;)

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 08:18:29 PM »
In a few days I will get a new Davis with solar/UV sensor, so maybe I am your man, too. On the other side it may be a bit difficult to get rain - we do expect an amount of snow the next 2 days and temperatures far below cero. Hopefully some 30 cm...  :)

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard