Author Topic: Fine Offset  (Read 23654 times)

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: Fine Offset
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 06:55:06 PM »
Just a clarification on the price, WeatherCat currently costs $64.95 in US dollars.

And it is worth every single cent! [rock]
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Wow, glad it wasn't too much pain!! (Re: Fine Offset)
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 11:17:08 PM »
Howdy Stu and WeatherCat fans!!

Ok, it's up. Supports WH1080 and WH2080, no 3080 support at the moment.

I've been able to pull lots of stuff out of it that isn't available on the console - all in, I've managed to get 20 channels out of it.
Additions to the output from the console include: rain rate, daily rain, 10 minute average wind direction, 4 gust periods and directions (1, 5, 10 and 15 minutes) , dew point and wind chill. Overall, I'm very pleased with the driver.

Wow!!  Stu that was quick work with your "can opener"  :D  Glad you were able to come up with a driver quickly and that you were satisfied with the results!!

If all goes well, I should have some web pages being driven from it up in the next few days.

Golly, at this rate we may be trying to help someone troubleshoot the Fine Offset station in the not too distant future!!

Stu you rock!!  [rock]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 09:56:12 AM »
It's been running for a few days now, haven't had any problems. I'm now going  to add logger support.

You can view the data at:
http://trixology.com/live_weather/test/
(Note, this is in development, so the data may vanish as I need to start a new data set, and if the page isn't being updated it means I'm working as this is running on the development box)

You can compare it to the Vantage at:
http://live.trixology.com/custom/

Ignore the wind data , the WH1080 anemometer is not in the correct position.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 08:32:32 PM »
So probably the final update...
The logger work has been done and seems fine - just need to test with a full logger.

Today has been errors day, brought the hardware indoors, threw out three spiders, disconnected the anemometer, made sure the right things went invalid. Disconnected the rain bucket - nothing reported from the hardware at all, it just carries on with the existing output. Would have been nice to make the relevant channels invalid, but can't do anything about it.

Did spot one bug, I was calculating relative pressure from the outside temperature - nice one to find. Next, bung the hygro/thermo sensor in the freezer to make sure I have my signs right - all fine. I can report it works fine at -22?C (which was a surprise! I've seen more expensive sensors die on that test).

Final testing is remove the batteries from the hygro/thermo sensor and make sure we behave appropriately and if that's fine, job done.

In conclusion:
This is a tricky unit to interface to - I can see many 'gotchas' that could happen. Total time has been approximately 40 hours development, that broke down as pretty much 20 to get it going then another 20 to interface to the logger and fix bugs.

If it proves stable over the next few days, it should make an appearance in the next 1.1 development release.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks Stu!! (Re: Fine Offset)
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 01:05:56 AM »
Howdy Stu and WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

Today has been errors day, brought the hardware indoors, threw out three spiders, disconnected the anemometer, made sure the right things went invalid. Disconnected the rain bucket - nothing reported from the hardware at all, it just carries on with the existing output. Would have been nice to make the relevant channels invalid, but can't do anything about it.

Bummer dude!!  You are fighting bugs on all fronts!!

This is a tricky unit to interface to - I can see many 'gotchas' that could happen. Total time has been approximately 40 hours development, that broke down as pretty much 20 to get it going then another 20 to interface to the logger and fix bugs.

If it proves stable over the next few days, it should make an appearance in the next 1.1 development release.

Thanks Stu for making the effort!  [tup]

I hope indeed this particular station will not only get you more WeatherCat users, but help lots of folks learn why . . . they want something better!!  ;)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 05:33:24 PM »
Quick update on this one - it's out for test in development build V1.1 build 866.
http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=441.0

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 11:26:54 PM »
Another update - I've had the hardware 'lock up' twice in the last month, necessitating a power off reset of the station.

As far as I can tell there's no rhyme or reason to this - it can just happen out of the blue and the only way of recovering it is to pull the batteries which deletes any data it had in its logger and the user more than likely ends up with a hole in the data.

I've tried a variety of things to stop this happening with no success so far. With that in mind (i.e. it's not of a quality I want) the driver will be staying in development for the time being. On the two occasions it's happened I haven't been able to glean anything from the debug data - all running great then, bang, no more comms until the station is powered off.

For the time being, if a user selects the WH station driver, a warning notice will be given (once only) saying there may be problems with it but then WeatherCat will continue to launch normally.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 05:51:01 PM »
And yet another update! I think I've finally cracked this one - been running for over a week now on and off, with no lockups to report. I'll give it a few more days...