Author Topic: WeatherCat Crashing?  (Read 5633 times)

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
    • N8NOE's Home Page (WX Link of Front )
  • Station Details: OSX Mountain Lion Server, WMR968
WeatherCat Crashing?
« on: July 22, 2012, 01:52:30 AM »
Hey all, I took a LEAP of Faith, and typically to my luck I gotz troubles..
I have to copy (internal to WeatherCat Application) the Weathercat HTML folder.
This has my Custom Pages I use.
WeatherCat then runs a bit and Crashes saying "That I need to get a Fresh Copy from the Website"..
Any Cluses or help?..
Jeff-N8NOE
(( But it's Looking Nice with Color and some Nice Graphs.))
Not sure on How to make Banners and such, But the Cigar Page looks Nice and the
Graph on the Home Page is good. Click the Graph for Current Weather, it's a Default Page with added Stuff.
Just Seems to run about 15-30min then tell me it's Bad?..

http://www.n8noe.us/

Jeff-N8NOE

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
Re: WeatherCat Crashing?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 01:25:24 PM »
This is the Screen I'm Getting, Tried to find the .PLIST file, and just lots of folders..

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 02:35:10 PM »
OK, Think I Found Something.....
The WeatherCat DOES NOT have the Ability to have Multiple Cities in it.
My Menu page has Austin,TX as a Second Condition site..
Eliminating other Cities, seems to have helped..
NOT sure this is any help to someone, as it seems I'm one of the LAST to UPDATE,
But something this simple can ruin a day!...
I'll POST if this Fixed the issue.
Almost like Windoews, it says you have troubles but don't say much else.
Log didn't seem to have anything either..
Jeff-N8NOE

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Going about da' hard way. (Re: WeatherCat Crashing?)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 09:30:02 PM »
Hi Jeff and WeatherCat fans,

Indeed you have gone about da' hard way.  LWC was mysteriously taken down for reasons we have never been informed of.  Equally mysterious is that Stu stubbornly insists that WeatherCat is essentially a whole new program.  Now that seems a little strong.  WeatherCat certainly has the look and feel of LWC.  However, something forced Stu do not simply abandon LWC but indeed close the company.  So whatever it was, you shouldn't assume that anything under the hood of WeatherCat is necessarily the same as LWC - it might be - or it might not be and you'll hurt yourself by assuming it is.

I don't know if you can recover from this, but you would have been much better off to have had WeatherCat do it own installation and upgrade from your previous LWC installation.  Your problems with multiple locations would have gone away.

The other thing that bothers me is why you stubbornly insist on keeping your custom HTML inside the WeatherCat application bundle?  Why don't you keep these files in another folder as the manual says you should and everyone else running WeatherCat does?  I realize that what you are doing shouldn't do any harm but unfortunately the world is changing.  I suspect that the error you are seeing is because WeatherCat must now run some integrity checks to pass the requirements for Mountain Lion.  When you change the HTML files, it changes some checksum that Stu has computed to make sure no malware has been introduced into WeatherCat.  So the error you are seeing is a result of that check against corruption of WeatherCat by someone with a black-hat.

Sorry to say old chap, but as much as it is against many of our principles . . . . sometimes you have to do actually do it - as the instructions say you should!!

;) Bummer . . . ain't it?  [biggrin]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 09:48:47 PM »
Edouard;
    I keep the Index, Conditions, Etc files inside WeatherCat as this is where the files are taken to generate the Web pages.
I'm NOT a Web builder as you might tell by looking at any of my Pages, but NO idea on HOW to get (Lets say WeatherCat) to
get or locate these files if they were anywhere else? I did have a copy of WeatherCat on the server at one Point Way back in early Beta
so it was there. The Trouble I has (As it seems Stable Now that I took other City Weather Out) was just not knowing any other was to do this.
All the TAGS and such, I'm not even sure Where to put this stuff.. But I did get it to play nice, and if it stays running now, I'll register by the end of the week.
This was my thought, load it, Try it but maintain my copy of LWC2 as I'd learned to Back-up. And it was a bit messed up, so work and all seems good?
Take a Look and you can see I'm NOT a WEB-BUILDER, jsut stuff tossed out there. The CIGARS link is new and just done as the idea is to have internal Temp/Humid. from inside
be readable out here, and on my iPhone with the App. The Humidor is about 3 weeks out still being Built.
But THANKS and will let it run see if everything is Fine and were all good..
((  http://www.n8noe.us  )) And look at Cigars Link on lower Right..
Jeff-N8NOE

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 11:05:13 PM »
Oh, Quick thought.. I am Running WeatherCat on a Snow Leopard Server here, not Lion or Mountain Lion. The Client works Well on those.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Take a look at these two resources (Re: WeatherCat Crashing?)
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 12:49:55 AM »
Howdy Jeff and WeatherCat fans,

Hmm, maybe it would help if you something else to look at on how to set up web pages.  Obviously, a good place to start is the WeatherCat manual.  Instructions on how to use web pages starts on page 67.  However, it doesn't explain very clearly how to arrange folders to get things uploaded.

A while back I created a set of simple web page templates for LWC.  I haven't updated them for WeatherCat mostly because there are now so many more web page templates now available and mine are rather - plain.  Still you might find the documentation helpful.  It explains very carefully how to arrange folders to get templates into web pages that then are uploaded.  You can download the package here:

http://www.canebas.org/LWC/misc/LWC%20SeaMonkey%20web%20template%20%280.5.0%29.zip

Now in your case, you are running WeatherCat on the same computer where your web pages are served.  The best way to handle this is to have WeatherCat save the resulting HTML pages in the folder where your web server expects to find them.    To do this simply Set Save Path to the  directory as the place your Web server is expecting to serve up the files and uncheck the FTP upload option.  Here is the WeatherCat preferences pane with the relevant info:

Let us know if that's enough help you figure out how to move your HTML templates outside of WeatherCat and then still get the resulting HTML files to where your web server can make them accessible on the web.

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 10:03:29 AM »
Got the File, and will Read Docs on it. But Even after Killing PLITS and Folders and letting WC make all New,
Same thong is going on. Was Fine yesterday for Hours, then I rebooted the Server and as expected WC started automatically.
Been messed up since?..
Seems The Files are in the Right place, WEB sees and uses them.
Almost something is being Tried about 5min after starting causing it? it only runs so long then stops, Same error as above, Tells me to get a fresh copy.

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:04:31 AM »
AH. note the BANNER says 8:30pm, it's 5:04am here.........
Might be trying to make a Banner and fails?..

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Which version and log entries? (Re: WeatherCat Crashing?)
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 06:11:51 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately, you are having problems with a feature that Stu just added to WeatherCat to meet that Mountain Lion criteria.  You may need to wait until Stu gets back from vacation to get a clear understanding of what is going on.

In the meantime, it is worth doing some additional trouble-shooting.  For starters, which version of WeatherCat are you using: 1.02 or the 1.1 Beta?  If you are using the beta definitely try switching to the stable release.  If you are using 1.02, you might try downloading the 1.1 Beta just to see if it helps.  However, that's a long-shot.

The other thing that would help us WeatherCat regulars pinch-hit for Stu is if you could tell us if there is anything in the system.log file at the time these problems occur.  You can inspect your OS-X log files using the Console application in the Utilities folder.  Take a look to see if there are any entries at about the time the errors occur.  That would be very helpful for troubleshooting.

Cheers, Edouard

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 10:12:14 PM »
Edouard
           Thanks for the Help on all this first off..
As for your last tip on custom Pages.. In the README you did, hit me to try something.
I added a 3re folder and named it Custom (or something like that) and put my HTML files in there.
I left the Standard Web page the same and changed the Custom to the New folder to find the pages.
IT seems to have been working all day today, but it did this yesterday till I rebooted the server..
BUT, I think this might have been the fix, to LEAVE the HTML Folder "Inside" the app alone, and change where it all points to?..
I was awake at 4:00am today to try getting this done before work. Later I'll reboot the server and see if it still plays nice, but just the Picture you had in the README,
made me think of adding a 3rd folder, and might have been the trick..
Jeff-N8NOE

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 10:20:33 PM »
PICS of the Fix, Again THANKS, your TIP seems to make it all good..

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Glad you are back in business!! (Re: WeatherCat Crashing?)
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 11:06:45 PM »
Howdy Jeff and WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

PICS of the Fix, Again THANKS, your TIP seems to make it all good..

Glad you've gotten everything to work!!  [tup]

Unfortunately, virtually none of us run our own server (except perhaps Stu.)  I gave up because I was being pestered by hackers.  So you have something of a unique case.

Still, you are much better off to keep your HTML outside of WeatherCat - for one thing it makes upgrades that much easier!  :D

So glad you managed to make things work the way Stu intended!