Weather > Observations

Highlights from the 2018-19 Northern CA wet season

(1/2) > >>

elagache:
Dear WeatherCat drought watchers,

After an extremely long dry season, we have finally gotten some substantial rains here at Canebas Weather station.  Indeed we have gotten more than forecast without any ill effects.  Here is the current storm summary:

We are around double what was forecast and the rains continue to come!    There is another storm scheduled for tomorrow evening and rain is expected to return next week.  Situations like this can reverse as rapidly as they came but for the moment the news is definitely good!  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S.  I promise to send this rain eastward - by air express of course!  [biggrin]

elagache:
Dear WeatherCat drought watchers,

Of course at least those of us in the United States had to put up with all silly hype over "Black Friday."  Whatever it now means, originally it referred to the first day many businesses got out of debt and were finally "in the black."  Ironically, Canebas weather station had something of the same experience.  I have a synthetic channel that computes the difference between the actual rainfall received and the average monthly rainfall for a given month - prorated on a daily basis.  Until the 21st of this month, we had received no rainfall at all, so the difference from normal monthly rainfall was steadily in the negative.  The current series of storms brought us 3.2" of rain (82mm).  Late in the day yesterday, the "Diff from ave rainfall" synthetic channel finally went in the black:

It appears we will continue to be in a wet regime that should guarantee that we exceed normal rainfall for November and at least make a dent in the deficit resulting from the dry previous months.

Blicj11:
Drought sufferers applaud your good news.

elagache:
Dear Western United States weather observers,

January has been something of hit or miss as far as precipitation is concerned at least for Canebas weather station.  However, this is supposed to change dramatically as a sequence of storms is expected to bring a lot of rain to California this week.  There is a Weather Channel story about it:

https://weather.com/forecast/regional/news/2019-01-10-california-storm-parade-rain-snow-middle-january

I've make my inspections of the house and checked to make sure the rain gauge is clear.  Bring on da' wet!

Blicj11:
Hoping for the best. Rain at your house means snow at one the next day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version