Weather > Weather Hardware/Measurement

Vantage Pro 2 Radiation Shield

(1/2) > >>

senorwx:
Greetings!
I've installed a new T/H sensor on my station, but totally did not use care in remembering the correct order of reassembling the five shield plates. With the new sensor by T/H readings are totally wrong, so I've not reassembled properly as the sensor board assembly is attached directly to the plate with the heavy round disc on the opposite side of the plate. Breakout diagram in manual and online is no help. The Maintenance video from Davis doesn't help. And Davis doesn't reply to its message board.

Anyone out there able to help those who can't remember to make notes whilst disassembling?

Thanks.

elagache:
Dear senorwx and WeatherCat FYI types,

--- Quote from: senorwx on September 26, 2018, 02:29:00 PM ---I've installed a new T/H sensor on my station, but totally did not use care in remembering the correct order of reassembling the five shield plates.
--- End quote ---

I have done this and made my own fan aspiration setup, but alas I didn't take any photos of reassembling the radiation sensor.  However, I believe this Davis manual covers the order as part of the installation instructions:

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-033_IM_07745.pdf

Let us know if that solves your problem or not.

Cheers, Edouard

senorwx:
Eduardo,

Thanks as always for your helpful advice. My station is up and running with the new T/H sensor and a somewhat reconfigured shield. I've learned there are several sensor shields, some with five, others with six plates. Your link to the aspirated version is different (my 'standard' version has five plates), the printed manual from Davis only has an arrow pointing to where the sensor goes, and various other variations in their literature.

Botton line is my sensor is now mounted on the original plastic standoffs between the board and the plate, but I had to remove the insulated disc for it to accept that top plate. (That disc was there as were the standoffs when I took it apart. For some reason I simply could not reassemble it that way. Maybe a different phase of the moon.) You can see in the photo how the disc and the sensor cage would collide!

Thanks for your help. Too bad there isn't better documentation of the shield by Davis.

xairbusdriver:
I'm betting the "sixth" shield has a huge hole in it and fits between the top one and the one that holds the sensor. [banghead] It would be nice for Davis to mention that those adding the sensor might want to also purchase that sixth shield? Amazon: People who bought xyz also purchased "a sixth" shield...I am always amazed at how little a company ever uses their own site(s) as a customer might/will. [rolleyes2] It's called user-testing and the "users" should never be company employees!

elagache:
Dear senorwx, X-Air, and WeatherCat station hardware DIY types,

--- Quote from: senorwx on October 01, 2018, 08:06:47 PM ---Thanks as always for your helpful advice. My station is up and running with the new T/H sensor and a somewhat reconfigured shield. I've learned there are several sensor shields, some with five, others with six plates. Your link to the aspirated version is different (my 'standard' version has five plates), the printed manual from Davis only has an arrow pointing to where the sensor goes, and various other variations in their literature.
. . . . .

--- End quote ---

Glad you were able to figure it out with the available resources on the web.  I had hoped to take my radiation shield to clean it before winter set in, but that will have to wait for the moment.  When I do, I'll try to take some photos of how the pieces fit together on my rig.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version