Author Topic: Preview of Spring 2018  (Read 185 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, MacBook Pro (Mid 2009)
Preview of Spring 2018
« on: January 06, 2018, 10:15:05 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning,

I know you'all won't believe it, but look what I spotted on my morning tour of the neighborhood:

This is the very same tree that can be seen to the right in the photo that I posted last year to start the 2017 Spring photo season:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2403.msg23362#msg23362

This is the pink blooming tree to the right of the white blossoms in the center.  The one on the left is also blooming but the light wasn't good for photographing it.  The photo last year was taking on Groundhog Day, February 2nd.  So these trees are blooming almost a full month earlier than last.  I assume that the warmth of this past December allowed these trees to bloom so early.

If you don't believe it, I can't blame you - I can hardly believe it myself!   :o

Oh well,
. . .  . . . Edouard 

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, MacBook Pro (Mid 2009)
Persistent - aren't they? (Re: Preview of Spring 2018)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 10:38:01 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning,

Yes, I can't believe my eyes either, but for the sake of documentation, here are same 3 plum trees in bloom that I photographed last year on groundhog day:

As you can see the white plum tree is now in full bloom and the two pink trees have some flowers.  I believe the one in the background may be just starting.

These trees are getting more sun than I recalled from last year, but it could have been the extremely wet weather that fooled me into thinking they were in the shade all the time.  Even so, there is a line of white plum trees across the street that get much more sun than these three trees.  I have no idea why these trees are blooming so much earlier than everything else.  The two pink trees might cross-fertilize each other, but the white tree most likely won't have any fruit because it bloomed so much earlier than any other tree of its species.

Definitely sign me as "confused in California" . . . . . .

Edouard