Author Topic: Problems with historic data upload at startup with WLIP logger  (Read 3496 times)

West Seattle Wx Guy

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, Weatherlink IP, Mac OS 10.13.2 (High Sierra)
Problems with historic data upload at startup with WLIP logger
« on: January 05, 2018, 03:10:34 PM »
Hi folks, I've had my Davis Vantage Pro2 wx station for years, but just recently got a WeatherlinkIP logger, and have tried using WeatherCat.  After a few novice glitches, it seems to be working now, with the exception that when I shut WC off, and then turn it back on some time later, it only backfills the historical data at start-up if it has been shut down for a long time (like several hours).  If I shut it down and restart it after only a few minutes (and note I have 1-minute logging frequency), it does not load the missed data.  And once there is a gap, even if I successfully get it to load later historical data at a later time, it does not fill the gap.  I know the data is on the logger, because if I shut down WC on my mac and open up Weatherlink software on my wife's PC laptop, I can get the data.  I haven't figured out the exact threshold of shutdown time that prompts a successful historical backfill at start-up.  I know it hasn't worked for a 30-minute shutdown, and it has worked for a ~6-hour shutdown.  So, maybe 1 hour?  Not sure.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Also note, I have the option to delete historical data on logger after WC download turned OFF.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Problems with historic data upload at startup with WLIP logger
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 07:59:56 PM »
First of all, welcome to the WeatherCat Forum.

I also use the WeatherLinkIP? Data Logger. For the life of me I cannot remember what the interval is, but you are correct: there is an interval, shorter than which, you will not get historical downloads from the logger. I know the interval is no longer than one hour and I thought it was actually less than that. Edouard probably knows. He usually checks the forum in the afternoon.
Blick

West Seattle Wx Guy

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, Weatherlink IP, Mac OS 10.13.2 (High Sierra)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 10:02:45 PM »
Thanks Blick, that makes sense.  I'll wait see if Edouard has any further insights.  Best, Mark/West Seattle Wx Guy

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 11:32:33 PM »
Welcome, Mark!

Do you have a weather web site? My daughter is at college in Queen Anne, at Seattle Pacific University. I could keep an eye on here via your site if you have one.

Welcome aboard,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
What's are the two intervals? (Re: Problems with historic data upload)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 12:54:11 AM »
Dear West Seattle Wx Guy, Blick, Steve, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Let me also welcome you to the WeatherCat forum! 

Hi folks, I've had my Davis Vantage Pro2 wx station for years, but just recently got a WeatherlinkIP logger, and have tried using WeatherCat.  After a few novice glitches, it seems to be working now, with the exception that when I shut WC off, and then turn it back on some time later, it only backfills the historical data at start-up if it has been shut down for a long time (like several hours).  If I shut it down and restart it after only a few minutes (and note I have 1-minute logging frequency), it does not load the missed data.  And once there is a gap, even if I successfully get it to load later historical data at a later time, it does not fill the gap.  I know the data is on the logger, because if I shut down WC on my mac and open up Weatherlink software on my wife's PC laptop, I can get the data.  I haven't figured out the exact threshold of shutdown time that prompts a successful historical backfill at start-up.  I know it hasn't worked for a 30-minute shutdown, and it has worked for a ~6-hour shutdown.  So, maybe 1 hour?  Not sure.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Also note, I have the option to delete historical data on logger after WC download turned OFF.

Unfortunately, I cannot fully grasp your problem.  However, there are two intervals and I suspect your problem is that one of them is out of whack.  You can set the WeatherCat sampling interval under the Misc2 pane of the WeatherCat preferences.  What is this set to?  Is this the 1-minutes you are referring to?

The other interval setting is the setting of the data-logger itself.  That is set Station Hardware Options under the Tools menu.  To make the best use of your Davis Data Logger it is best to have these intervals the same.  Could you let us know what these two different intervals are set to?

Let us know what you uncover.

Cheers, Edouard

West Seattle Wx Guy

• Calm
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 05:04:52 PM »
Edouard, yes, sorry to not be more specific.  Both of those are set to 1 minute.

Steve, no, no web site, sorry.  There are many wx stations between here and SPU, so you could do better than my house for wx monitoring at SPU.  If you really want to keep an eye on her, I recommend http://spu.edu/webcam/  :-)

Mark

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 06:44:44 PM »
Edouard, I think Mark is just saying that if he shuts down WeatherCat for 30 minutes or less and restarts it, the data logger does not download historical data. If WC is offline for 6 hours, it does download the missing historical data. He wants to know what is the minimum interval that WC needs to be down, to trigger the data logger to give up its historical cache. I thought that 30 minutes was the magic number but Mark says it is longer than that.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Might need Stu's help. (Re: Problems with historic data upload)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 09:57:47 PM »
Dear Mark, Blick, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Edouard, I think Mark is just saying that if he shuts down WeatherCat for 30 minutes or less and restarts it, the data logger does not download historical data. If WC is offline for 6 hours, it does download the missing historical data. He wants to know what is the minimum interval that WC needs to be down, to trigger the data logger to give up its historical cache. I thought that 30 minutes was the magic number but Mark says it is longer than that.

Unfortunately, at least I thought WeatherCat didn't have any such interval.  I thought instead WeatherCat would always download the logger data if the period that WeatherCat wasn't running exceeded the WeatherCat sampling interval.  So on that reasoning, WeatherCat should always download data in the interval is set to 1 minute.  At least I can't get my installation of WeatherCat to quit and start up again in less than a minute.  Admittedly, I've got a lot of bells and whistles but starting WeatherCat is an involved process.

We might need to ask Stu to look into this one.  You can get in contact with WeatherCat technical support directly by following the instructions on this web page:

http://trixology.com/contact-us/

Sorry, that's as far as my understanding of WeatherCat takes me.

Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 10:01:18 PM »
Mark:

Perhaps this is unique to the IP data loggers. I know Stu has one of those installed so I like Edouard's suggestion of asking Stu for clarification in email. If you do so, please post his response in this thread so that others might know the outcome.

Thanks.
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 05:11:45 PM »
WeatherCat needs to be not running for over 30 minutes (32 I think it is) before it will download from the logger - the reason for this is it's longest sampling period is 30 minutes.

Hope that helps!

West Seattle Wx Guy

• Calm
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 08:43:41 PM »
OK, well I think that final post from MCDev sounds definitive (thanks!). Not sure if MCDev is the same person as Stu, so I will still follow up by email and let y'all know the final disposition of this issue. Thanks to everyone else for chiming in.   -Mark

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 10:18:33 PM »
Not sure if MCDev is the same person as Stu

Yep, Stuart Ball, CEO, Developer, Mail clerk, and chief bottle washer at Trixology.com
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 11:17:49 PM »
"MCDev" I like that! ;)  ThU32:-)

Wonder if he programs in a kilt...  [computer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Okay, can someone explain it to me! (Re: Problems with historic data)
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 12:21:29 AM »
Howdy Stu, Mark, Steve, X-Air, and WeatherCat "so how does it actually work?"  ??? types

WeatherCat needs to be not running for over 30 minutes (32 I think it is) before it will download from the logger - the reason for this is it's longest sampling period is 30 minutes.

Uh I thought I understood how WeatherCat handled this situation, but now I am confused.  ???

I have both WeatherCat and my data logger set to sample at 5 minutes.  Rebooting often takes more than 5 minutes from shutting down WeatherCat to getting it going again.  I have noticed that even if WeatherCat hasn't been running for as long as 15 minutes, the download window doesn't come up.  I had assumed that WeatherCat was just grabbing the missing sample and thus it didn't need to make a elaborate display of grabbing data from the logger.

I just had to reboot and sure enough WeatherCat was idle for more than 5 minutes.  Looking at the WeatherCat data during that last period, it seems like WeatherCat simply continues to use the last data pulled from the station - is that what is going on?  Only if WeatherCat has been down for 32 minutes does WeatherCat take the extra precaution of getting data from the logger?

Please do tell!!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 07:16:43 AM »
Edouard, I had this conversation with Stu in the past, I just couldn't remember the interval. Assuming your logger it set to record in 5 minute intervals, even though your logger saves data every 5 minutes, it will not download that data to WC unless WC has been down for more than 32 minutes. After 32 minutes it will fill in the tap with 5 minute intervals. If down less than 32 minutes, no download from the logger occurs.
Blick