Author Topic: Welcome to Winter 2017-18  (Read 6411 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome to Winter 2017-18
« on: December 21, 2017, 10:20:04 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning,

The Winter Solstice occurred morning at 8:28 am (PST).  So we are now officially in Winter.  With a high pressure dominating our weather, California wasn't the ideal place to come up with a photograph to announce the change of season.  However, I did managed to catch this scene of dramatic clouds behind some denuded trees:

On the other hand, there are lots of you folks were Winter is - ominous and oppressive!  [freeze]  So what are you "buried by Winter types" waiting for?  At least try poking the camera in front of a window and see what you get!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Welcome to Winter 2017-18
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 11:14:53 PM »
Exactly what are those three horizontal "clouds"? They look a bit like jet contrails but more like flying saucer trails! :o

We had temps in the upper 50's today. There is a cold front moving in from you people in the west and north who can't keep better control of your weather! [banghead] Doesn't look like we have much control of ours, however... [rolleyes2]
HEAVY RAINFALL EXPECTED FRIDAY ACROSS MUCH OF THE MID-SOUTH... A slow moving cold front will move across the region Friday and Friday night. Numerous showers and isolated thunderstorms will move across the region starting Friday morning and ending Saturday morning. Rainfall totals of 3 to 5 inches are expected in the watch area with isolated rainfall amounts of over 6 inches.
Good thing we live near the top of a hill and I got a few gutters replaced last month!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 12:56:29 AM »
From my WeatherCam at noon today. 8 inches on the ground.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
No kiddin' (Re: Winter 2017-18)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 11:24:18 PM »
Dear X-Air. Blick, and WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning,

Thanks for the winter scenery!  :)

There is a cold front moving in from you people in the west and north who can't keep better control of your weather! [banghead]

:( . . . . . No kiddin'  As things stand it will be in the top 10 of driest Decembers for the San Francisco Bay Area.  I would gladly take that heavy rain if you could send it back this way.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Another unexpected birdbath visitor! (Re: Winter 2017-18)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 10:44:59 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the nature all around us,

It's been a few years, but once more I had an unexpected visitor in the ground level birdbath we have in the backyard:

When I found it at about 8am, it seemed content and quiet.  However, when I checked again at about noon, it was clearly struggling to get out and utterly failing.  I helped it make an escape, but wonder if I didn't remove it from the frying pan only to put it into the fire.  Salamanders need a very moist environment and as long as it is raining it will be okay, but this is California after all.

I'm still wondering what creature is putting salamanders in this birdbath.  Perhaps it is raccoons.  They do frequent this birdbath, especially in the Summer when all other sources of water dry up.  Of course these dainty creatures will wash their food when possible.  Salamanders on the other hand are frequently poisonous.  It could be a raccoon tried to eat this creature and couldn't, thereby leaving it in the bath.  I don't know where the raccoons could have found it, but it seems a bit too large for the local birds to carry.

That's the wild tale from California for today!  :D

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
California fungi season! (Re: Winter 2017-18)
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 11:47:10 PM »

We had one very wet storm saturate the ground and some weak storms to keep everything wet.  That brings out an unusual sight for California: mushrooms.

I suppose for many regions of the world, this is more of an Autumn or Springtime scene.  In California the conditions have to be just right for mushrooms to reveal themselves:

This year has been better than average although not nearly as nice as last year.  Here is one more scene with a bit for perspective thrown in for fun:

It is supposed to remain wet like this for another week or so before the demon high pressure ridge is forecast to return.  So the fungi have one more week to reproduce before the moisture will disappear.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 04:48:11 PM »
Your rain is bringing snow to the mountains west of you. We need the water so keep it coming as long as you can.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
The changing of the guard . . . . . (Re: Winter 2017-18)
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 12:09:20 AM »

The seasons are changing all around me and I did my best to capture it in an image:

It is already too hot and dry for the mushrooms who are fading while the daffodils are showing up.  The forecast models having nothing but dry hot weather expected for the next two weeks at least.  Whatever rains we'll get for the remainder of the seasons will be Springtime rains.  Winter is over for California.  Sadly we are back to our "typical drought routine . . . . . " 

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard   :(

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 02:29:50 AM »
DO NOT EAT THOSE 'SHOOMS!!! The Pansy blooms, on the other hand, make a nice garnish on a salad...

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 01:15:10 AM »
Today we received the biggest snowstorm of the winter: 12 inches. Last summer I installed a propane-fired boiler and radiant heat tubes to heat the concrete pad I poured in front of our garage. Here are two photos of me clearing the non-heated portion of the driveway with my trusty tank-track ATV and snow blower. Almost as much fun as playing with the new WeatherCat 3 beta, but quite noticeably colder.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 02:45:00 AM »
Apparently, you are not sucking enough moisture out of he air you're sending our way:
A slow-moving cold front will interact with deep moisture to produce showers and thunderstorms across the Mid-South this week. Widespread heavy rainfall is expected to develop by Wednesday morning, continuing through the overnight hours. Rainfall totals of 2 to 4 inches are expected in the watch area, with localized higher amounts possible. Very moist soils due to recent rainfall will result in significant run-off. Flooding is likely along many of the rivers and tributaries. In addition, widespread flooding of lowlands and poor drainage urban areas is anticipated. Additional heavy rainfall is expected later in the week.

Runoff from heavy rainfall may result in rapid rises in river, stream, and creek levels. Widespread lowland flooding is possible and poor drainage urban areas may experience street flooding.
At least we sit on the bluff side of the Mighty Muddy, so we won't see the flood waters directly. But it is amazing how many people continue to move into new houses only a few hundred feet from the banks of tributaries that will probably be flooding this week. [banghead] The areas are not technically in the flood plain, but those boundaries are at least 25 years old... [rolleyes2]

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 06:01:27 AM »
I should be asleep, but making sure things are charged up.  Freezing rain tonight. Not a lot but with the wind behind it , could lose limbs and power.  The city has been out all year trimming back tree branches from the power lines, but all it takes is a feeder going down brrr.

So tomorrow, I have remote start two cars,  venture out with ice melt (calcium chloride mix) and hope not to do a have gainer  and break my ass bone.   Wednesday is to be a nice day... go figure.   Welcome to Iowa [thermo]
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 04:24:06 PM »
Either they forgot their crayons or the 1.64(so far today) inches of rain is a figment of my imagination...
WPC Fonts/NDFD Weather Type, Wednesday, Feb 21

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 09:08:43 PM »
the last ice storm is melting.  However, another tomorrow night.    Rats
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 01:51:50 PM »
I liked yesterday's map better.3.95 inches in 36 hours. [rolleyes2] [rainyluck]