Weather > General Weather Discussion

Welcome to Winter 2017-18

(1/6) > >>

elagache:
Dear WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning,

The Winter Solstice occurred morning at 8:28 am (PST).  So we are now officially in Winter.  With a high pressure dominating our weather, California wasn't the ideal place to come up with a photograph to announce the change of season.  However, I did managed to catch this scene of dramatic clouds behind some denuded trees:

On the other hand, there are lots of you folks were Winter is - ominous and oppressive!  [freeze]  So what are you "buried by Winter types" waiting for?  At least try poking the camera in front of a window and see what you get!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver:
Exactly what are those three horizontal "clouds"? They look a bit like jet contrails but more like flying saucer trails! :o

We had temps in the upper 50's today. There is a cold front moving in from you people in the west and north who can't keep better control of your weather! [banghead] Doesn't look like we have much control of ours, however... [rolleyes2]

--- Quote ---from: Dec 22 2017 9:00 am -  until: Dec 23 2017 9:00 am
HEAVY RAINFALL EXPECTED FRIDAY ACROSS MUCH OF THE MID-SOUTH... A slow moving cold front will move across the region Friday and Friday night. Numerous showers and isolated thunderstorms will move across the region starting Friday morning and ending Saturday morning. Rainfall totals of 3 to 5 inches are expected in the watch area with isolated rainfall amounts of over 6 inches.
--- End quote ---
Good thing we live near the top of a hill and I got a few gutters replaced last month!

Blicj11:
From my WeatherCam at noon today. 8 inches on the ground.

elagache:
Dear X-Air. Blick, and WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning,

Thanks for the winter scenery!  :)

--- Quote from: xairbusdriver on December 21, 2017, 11:14:53 PM ---There is a cold front moving in from you people in the west and north who can't keep better control of your weather! [banghead]
--- End quote ---

:( . . . . . No kiddin'  As things stand it will be in the top 10 of driest Decembers for the San Francisco Bay Area.  I would gladly take that heavy rain if you could send it back this way.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

elagache:
Dear WeatherCat observers of the nature all around us,

It's been a few years, but once more I had an unexpected visitor in the ground level birdbath we have in the backyard:

When I found it at about 8am, it seemed content and quiet.  However, when I checked again at about noon, it was clearly struggling to get out and utterly failing.  I helped it make an escape, but wonder if I didn't remove it from the frying pan only to put it into the fire.  Salamanders need a very moist environment and as long as it is raining it will be okay, but this is California after all.

I'm still wondering what creature is putting salamanders in this birdbath.  Perhaps it is raccoons.  They do frequent this birdbath, especially in the Summer when all other sources of water dry up.  Of course these dainty creatures will wash their food when possible.  Salamanders on the other hand are frequently poisonous.  It could be a raccoon tried to eat this creature and couldn't, thereby leaving it in the bath.  I don't know where the raccoons could have found it, but it seems a bit too large for the local birds to carry.

That's the wild tale from California for today!  :D

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1] 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version