Weather > Observations

2017-18 monthly reports of Northern California rainfall.

(1/4) > >>

elagache:
Dear WeatherCat West Coast of the United States drought watchers,

November brought enough rainfall to merit starting up this year's monthly reports of rainfall at Canebas weather station.  Here is the first graph of the season:

After a dry start to the season, 2017 was the second wettest November observed at Canebas station at: 4.36".  That works out to 120% of a normal November.  However, the preceding dry months resulted in only 86% of the rainfall normally received through the end of November.  It is definitely too early in the season to guess what sort of a winter we might expect.  Nonetheless, at the moment I'm observing more high pressure ridges than I would prefer during the time when we need the rain.

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11:
Interesting report. In the western US we are heading into winter with lakes and reservoirs at the highest level they have been at in December for at least the past 5 years. Keeping our collective fingers crossed.

elagache:
Dear WeatherCat Western United States drought watchers,

There is absolutely no chance of rain through the end of the month, so there is no point in putting off reporting the bad news.  Canebas weather station received an extremely unlucky 0.13" of rain for December (3.3mm).  December is normally one of our wettest months of this works out to be only 4% of normal for the month.  This is quite obvious on the graph:

Not surprisingly the cumulative numbers are also very grim.  By the end of the month we will have only received 48% of a normal season's rainfall through the end of December.

The local paper attempted to not be too pessimistic with the news:

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/12/27/with-no-rain-in-forecast-bay-area-on-pace-for-one-of-driest-decembers-on-record/

However thus far, California and other Western states are once more staring at drought straight in the face.

Oh well, . . . . .  Edouard

xairbusdriver:
Only good thing may be a reduced probability of massive fires next year. Assuming there is enough fodder/tinder left to burn... [banghead]

Wish we could send some of our rain your way, even though we're ~10 inches below last years total.

Just realized I don't have 'station' totals for anything. I assume (because I live dangerously!) that the "ALLTIME" tag can be used to build a WC query? Maybe STAT$RAIN:TOTAL:ALLTIME$

elagache:
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat drought watchers,

--- Quote from: xairbusdriver on December 30, 2017, 01:22:04 AM ---Only good thing may be a reduced probability of massive fires next year. Assuming there is enough fodder/tinder left to burn... [banghead]

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, I don't think the Winter rainfall has all that much to do with the Summer wildfires.  The critical issue is how hot and dry the Summer becomes.  This past year's Summer was very hot and dry and that definitely allowed the fires to grow quickly.

--- Quote from: xairbusdriver on December 30, 2017, 01:22:04 AM ---Wish we could send some of our rain your way, even though we're ~10 inches below last years total.
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately the South is also suffering from a prolonged drought.

--- Quote from: xairbusdriver on December 30, 2017, 01:22:04 AM ---Just realized I don't have 'station' totals for anything. I assume (because I live dangerously!) that the "ALLTIME" tag can be used to build a WC query? Maybe STAT$RAIN:TOTAL:ALLTIME$
--- End quote ---

Yes that STAT$ construct works correctly.  Here is a tiny AppleScript that you can use to try it out:

--- Code: ---set totalRain to ""

tell application "WeatherCat"
set Query to "STAT$RAIN:TOTAL:ALLTIME$"
set totalRain to QueryResult
end tell

"Total rain received at weather station is: " & totalRain
--- End code ---

For my station it generates the following text:

"Total rain received at weather station is: 243.19"

Cheers, Edouard

Navigation

[0] Message Index