Author Topic: Uploading Only Webcam Image  (Read 2464 times)

nineback

• Gentle Breeze
    • KQ5S-13
    • KALALBER13
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro with Solar
Uploading Only Webcam Image
« on: September 19, 2017, 07:23:05 PM »
I am trying to figure out how to upload only the cam image to my web page. I am using the mteotemplate and the api update is working just fine.  I do not need to set up a custom page in WC.  I have WC creating an image and it is uploading just fine to Weather Underground. How do I get an image to upload to my web page?  So far I have seen an option under under custom web but I do not need to generate or upload any additional files other than the web cam.

Thanks,
Tom

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Uploading Only Webcam Image
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 11:15:24 PM »
There's probably a better way, but I do it with a simple html page that is never even displayed or seen. It's only purpose is to give WC something to attach the movie or a single image to upload on a set schedule. Once it is uploaded you (or you template) can do whatever you/it wants with the image(s).

Here's my "page":
Code: [Select]
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
    <meta charset="utf-8" />
<meta name="generator" content="BBEdit 10.1.1" />
    <title>Upload WeatherCatDailyMovie.mov and the 640px backyard image</title>
</head>
<body>
MOVIE$
WCAM640$
</body>
</html>
You don't really even need the stuff between the "<head>" and "</head>". ;) Now, I simply add this html document to the list in the WC Prefs->On-Line->Custom Web->Additional Files. Clicking the "Add" button brings up a small dialog with a "Set Path" button. Click that and you'll get Navigation dialog where you can select the html file on your hard drive. I check the "Enabled" and "FTP" boxes, set the time interval to 20 minutes.

From now on, WC will look at that file and replace the "MOVIE$" tag with the latest hourly video. The "WCAM640$" tag gets replaced with a 640x480 jpeg. Of course, all the above does is upload the video/imahe to your web space. Getting it on your site should be easily handled by your template or your own html files.

I don't use a complete template nor am I familiar with meteotemplate, but that template's dev visits quite often and he or someone that uses it may be along shortly with a better, more applicable answer. ThU5:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Only way I know of. (Re: Uploading Only Webcam Image)
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 11:35:26 PM »
Dear Tom, X-Air, and WeatherCat tinkerers,

There's probably a better way, but I do it with a simple html page that is never even displayed or seen.

As far as I know that's the only way to get WeatherCat to upload something.  WeatherCat only uploads something that it has identified as required because of going through the custom tags.  In effect, WeatherCat uses the tags to create an "inventory" of items that need to be uploaded and then it fulfills that inventory.

Cheers, Edouard

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 07:36:42 AM »
Another possibility (apart from WeatherCat) is using an extra program like Evocam to control your cam and do the upload to your server. But the easiest way to upload is to follow xair's description! Good luck!
Reinhard

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 02:48:23 PM »
can you ftp directly from your camera ?   I have that option, I also have it uploading to Weather Underground. Then an image link to my webpage.   Of course that has advantages such as I never have to worry about it, and the disadvantage if WU craps out, I am screwed.

There is also a program called Security Spy.  Now it costs per camera,  check it out  I have cameras and could stream but I don't    http://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/

And then there is a competitor, WeatherDisplay that allows to send to your site.

But if you are running Weathercat:     under webcam,  try these settings:  http://192.168.0.xx:50473/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=xxxx&pwd=xxxx

The x's are your ip address, so it is http:// your camera ip address:your camera port/  then all that stuff then usr=camera user name and pwdis camera password.  it should work

Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

nineback

• Gentle Breeze
    • KQ5S-13
    • KALALBER13
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 01:56:11 AM »
Thanks all for the ideas.

Tom

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 06:09:08 PM »
Tom

If you are using Metrotemplate there is a specific plugin named Webcam for saving images to your server.

JC

nineback

• Gentle Breeze
    • KQ5S-13
    • KALALBER13
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 07:31:47 PM »
Roger the plugin but I believe you still have to get the image on the server which is what prompted my question.

Tom

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Check with Jachym? (Re: Uploading Only Webcam Image)
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 09:46:00 PM »
Dear JC, Tom, and WeatherCat web spinners,

If you are using Metrotemplate there is a specific plugin named Webcam for saving images to your server.

I thought that the new version of Metrotemplate had an interface to WeatherCat that handled all the uploads.  If Metrotemplate has a plugin for the webcam, isn't that supposed to also get the data directly from WeatherCat?  You might post a question for Jachym on the Metrotemplate thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2282.0

At the very least that might get you a fresh solution from some of the other Metrotemplate users.

Cheers, Edouard