Author Topic: Moods of the sky around our weather instruments 2016-17  (Read 19416 times)

idunn

• Strong Breeze
  • name: idunn
    • icantono2
    • Magpie Hill
  • Station Details: WS1080, iMac 10.9.5, Canon Powershot A510 zoomed with gphoto2, located at 950m in Gross Switzerland, Webcam view SE to Alps on magpie-hill.com on WeatherCloud (MagpieHill) and Wunderground (ID icantono2)
Re: Moods of the sky around our weather instruments 2016-17
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2017, 09:32:09 PM »
Hi folks,
Had a weather change last night. A south wind brought the temperature above freezing for the first time in a month. Such winds, called Foehn, coming over the mountains often lead to colorful sunrises. Here it is on Youtube caught by my webcam each minute and processed by iMovie.
https://youtu.be/lMEnzlpyFRs
Regards,
Irving

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
So which do you prefer? . . . (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17)
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2017, 11:43:15 PM »
Dear Blick, and WeatherCat station owners who need to go to extreme lengths to perform maintenance!

This afternoon, I climbed the pile of snow and ice at the end of my driveway and did some maintenance on my ISS. For the first time in history, I did not have to use a ladder. We will end up with just about 10 feet of snowfall here for the month.

[wink] . . . . So which access technique do you prefer?  A ladder or a 10' snow pile? . . . . . .  lol(1)

Can't figure out what the middle photo uploads sideways. Too much ice tipped the camera over I guess.

I can't figure that one out either.  Your iPhone sent the correct orientation data along with the photo:

Technology is wonderful, but it would be so much more wonderful if it actually behaved correctly! 

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Lovely colors from thin clouds . . . (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17)
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2017, 10:59:11 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs,

We have what amounts to a "dirty ridge" which is keep the temperatures pleasant, but allowing some high clouds to drift over the region.  Before sunrise this morning, these high clouds were lit up in this very pretty display:

It almost made up for standing outside in the very chilly air to take the pictures!  [freeze]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Another menacing forecast. . . (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17)
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2017, 11:12:12 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the sky,

Shortly after I got up this morning this is what the Eastern horizon looked like:

The cloud formation is consistent with the National Weather Service which is forecasting another atmospheric river to take aim at Northern California for most of next week.  The good news is that should dump still more snow.  The bad news is that invariably there will be still more storm related damage.

Such are the "feast or famine" conditions in the Western United States these days,

Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Another fiery forecast (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17)
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2017, 11:35:45 PM »

A approaching front made quite a sunrise display this morning:

Oddly, about 1/2 hour later the sky turned a menacing red:

All this is consistent with the forecast.  The rain starts tomorrow and is expected to last at least 7 days.  However, there is some relief in the climate forecast.  The 8-14 outlook now is neutral instead of above normal rainfall and the experimental week 3-4 outlook is for below normal rainfall.

We shall see . . . . .

Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Transitional clouds . . . (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17)
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2017, 10:09:57 PM »

This morning we had the sort sunrise that is to be expected as the seasons transition from Winter to Spring:

After all the rain, the weather is more like late Spring than early March.  Today's high was almost 74˚ F! (23.3˚ C)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Dear WeatherCat observers of the extremes of the 2017 winter,

This morning before sunrise there was what would appear to be to a more ominous forecast:

It is premature.  We aren't supposed to get any rain before Monday night.  However, there was something on an ominous development in this morning's forecast discussion from the Monterey office of the National Weather Service.  The disturbing paragraph went like this:

Although there remains some difference with timing, there is fairly good that three systems can be expected (Tuesday, Wednesday/Thursday, and then next weekend). Whether or not we end up getting an atmospheric river (AR) setup from any of the     systems remains to be seen. However, both the GFS operational and ensemble mean indicated IVT values over 300 kg/m/s. Going out further, ECMWF guidance does indicate a potential AR with the system next weekend.

Are we getting so many Atmospheric River events that we really need the acronym: AR ?!?!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Fair weather clouds . . . (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17)
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2017, 11:19:51 PM »

There hasn't been a photo posted in this thread in about 2 months, so the time has come.  May just isn't the time for ominous sunrises in California, but fair weather provides other photogenic sky scenes if you are paying attention.  We have a dry trough of low pressure and that is producing some puffy fair weather clouds like this:

I thought the contrast between the clouds, the blue sky and the very "young" green leaves of our Locust tree produced a pleasant effect.

So that should be proof enough that you can capture the moods of the sky around your weather instruments without having get up before the crack of dawn, be outside in the freezing cold, or get your camera (or you) all wet!

So who is going to get their camera out and show their stuff!

idunn

• Strong Breeze
  • name: idunn
    • icantono2
    • Magpie Hill
  • Station Details: WS1080, iMac 10.9.5, Canon Powershot A510 zoomed with gphoto2, located at 950m in Gross Switzerland, Webcam view SE to Alps on magpie-hill.com on WeatherCloud (MagpieHill) and Wunderground (ID icantono2)
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2017, 03:02:02 PM »
Hi Weathercats,
Twelve days ago my Canon webcam took this photo of the striking evening view. It may not look like May 2 but it was. My PWS is barely visible at the bottom. This spring has offered a lot of unusual temperatures. March was very warm, which caused many plants to blossom 3 weeks early. Afterwards April gave Switzerland some very erratic and low temperatures as the attachment indicates. As a result many fruit crops were wiped out. Vineyards were especially hard hit, with some farmers losing the entire crop. 
Hope all is well, Irving

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thank you Irving! . . . (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17)
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2017, 11:11:09 PM »
Dear Irving and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Twelve days ago my Canon webcam took this photo of the striking evening view. It may not look like May 2 but it was. My PWS is barely visible at the bottom.

Yes indeed, it is a very dramatic scene and your PWS is truly visible!  Thanks for sharing!  :)

This spring has offered a lot of unusual temperatures. March was very warm, which caused many plants to blossom 3 weeks early. Afterwards April gave Switzerland some very erratic and low temperatures as the attachment indicates. As a result many fruit crops were wiped out. Vineyards were especially hard hit, with some farmers losing the entire crop.

Sorry to hear about the difficult weather conditions that Swiss farmer are encountering.  It does seem that weather has become more variable and swings in between greater extremes.  The transition from the wet to dry season was very fast in California and everything had dried out in just the space of weeks.

Please continue to share with us these beautiful images from your webcam!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2017, 04:12:03 AM »
Thanks for posting. Beautiful photo.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
High clouds behind anemometer . . . (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17)
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2017, 11:26:10 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs, . . . .

This thread has been languishing for a few months so I've been hoping to find something to contribute.  We are expecting an unusually strong front to pass to our North which will cool things down.  It also brought some high clouds:

Nothing too fancy, but enough to remind you'all to keep your camera handy when you are checking on your weather instruments!

P.S. Yeah, I know.  A bit of polarizer over-kill, but that adds just that extra bit of mellerdrama!  [biggrin]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Cloud band from Lidia . . . (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17)
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2017, 12:12:28 AM »

We are having some unusually cool weather after all the heat of this summer.  The remnants of hurricane Lidia in the Eastern Pacific interacted with the low pressure from the North to make it feel like late Autumn instead of Summer.  It also brought us some clouds that were somewhat photogenic:

Nothing all that exciting, but that's about as pretty the cloud formations get until we arrive close to Winter and we start to get those fiery sunrises.

Cheers, Edouard

P.S.  So you think you can take a better picture than that?  So what are you waiting for!  Pick up your camera and get to it!

P.P.S. That's especially true for those of you where Winter is so cold that going outside to photograph your weather station is basically unthinkable!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2017, 12:31:00 AM »
Nothing photogenic here. The mountain is ensconced in smoke from two forest fires that have us sandwiched in. Both fires started by lightening strikes - one is 44% contained after two weeks and the other is 5% contained after two days. Scary stuff.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Wirefires - Scourge of the west . . . (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17)
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2017, 11:23:55 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat victims of West Coast Summer conditions,

The mountain is ensconced in smoke from two forest fires that have us sandwiched in. Both fires started by lightening strikes - one is 44% contained after two weeks and the other is 5% contained after two days. Scary stuff.

My sympathies.  Thus far there hasn't been any fires nearby since the one next to a local high school.  However, California is burning from top to bottom.  The state has a website with all the gory details:

http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents

Here is a link to current status of California's wildfires has generated by Google maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1TOEFA857tOVxtewW1DH6neG1Sm0&hl=en

Wildfires don't cause as widespread damage as hurricanes, but the destruction they do cause is usually total.

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard