Author Topic: Moods of the sky around our weather instruments 2016-17  (Read 19420 times)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Great photos guys!! (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17 )
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2016, 04:03:00 AM »

However Steve you are definitely doing your part to make us amateurs look good!  ThU32:-)

Ha! That's just one of my webcams that I temporarily sat propped against some rocks in the garden pointing at the sky and the VP2 late last night. This morning, I saw that the sun was going to be passing behind it, so I waited for a break in the clouds.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
Re: Moods of the sky around our weather instruments 2016-17
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2016, 05:29:07 PM »
Thanks for the kind words all.
It is very nice to be a part of such a welcoming community of weather enthusiasts!

Bill

idunn

• Strong Breeze
  • name: idunn
    • icantono2
    • Magpie Hill
  • Station Details: WS1080, iMac 10.9.5, Canon Powershot A510 zoomed with gphoto2, located at 950m in Gross Switzerland, Webcam view SE to Alps on magpie-hill.com on WeatherCloud (MagpieHill) and Wunderground (ID icantono2)
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2016, 08:08:55 AM »
Got this sunrise photo from my webcam that is taking shots every 10 min. Seems like November is the best month for sunrises here.

Irving

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for sharing! (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17)
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2016, 12:33:16 AM »
Dear Irving and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Got this sunrise photo from my webcam that is taking shots every 10 min. Seems like November is the best month for sunrises here.

Thanks once more for sharing!  November can be good for dramatic sunrises but we have had a mostly cloudless November thus far.  However, that is supposed to change starting tomorrow.  We shall see!

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Some color on a foggy morning (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17)
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2016, 11:42:09 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs,

It has been an uninspired November from my photographic vantage point.  However, this morning finally produced something with a bit of color:

Hopefully there will be more dramatic photos in the future, but in the meantime this will give this thread another little bump!

Who's next?

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Eastern color morning and night? (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17)
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2016, 11:33:47 PM »

Sorry to hog, but I have a very unusual picture to add to the one I took yesterday morning.  Here is what the anemometer looked like shortly before dusk:

It is extremely unusual to have colorful clouds on the Eastern horizon as the sun is setting in the West.  I don't recall ever being able to take photos of clouds behind my anemometer during the morning and evening of the same day!

Okay, enough digression. . . . .   I once more repeat . . . . . who's next!!  :D

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

idunn

• Strong Breeze
    • icantono2
    • Magpie Hill
  • Station Details: WS1080, iMac 10.9.5, Canon Powershot A510 zoomed with gphoto2, located at 950m in Gross Switzerland, Webcam view SE to Alps on magpie-hill.com on WeatherCloud (MagpieHill) and Wunderground (ID icantono2)
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2016, 07:05:38 PM »
Hi folks,

This morning I experienced the most colorful sunrise imaginable. My trusty webcam took photos at 5 minute intervals. Here they are on Youtube. Somehow I think the resolution could be better but the colors are ok.

https://youtu.be/MARPwgVL6k4

Irving

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2016, 07:23:07 PM »
Incredible sunrise Irving. Thanks for sharing.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Neat time-lapse! (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17)
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2016, 12:22:45 AM »
Dear Irving, Blick, and WeatherCat lovers of beautiful sunrises,

This morning I experienced the most colorful sunrise imaginable.

It is very wonderful Irving!  I have wanted to make a time-lapse of some of the sunrises at our house, I just never learned out to do it with my DSLR.

My trusty webcam took photos at 5 minute intervals. Here they are on Youtube.

Is there any chance you could shorten the intervals?  5 minutes is a bit too long to really get any fluid motion.  I know Reinhard mentioned something about that but I've forgotten.

Somehow I think the resolution could be better but the colors are ok.

The resolution seems a bit low given the camera setup you have.  What got uploaded is only 640x360.  Is this the video generated by WeatherCat?  Perhaps you should check the resolution settings under the webcam pane of the WeatherCat preferences.

Thanks again for sharing!  [tup]

idunn

• Strong Breeze
    • icantono2
    • Magpie Hill
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2016, 05:59:58 AM »
Hi folks

The original photos were put into iMovie. The loss of resolution seems to be when converting for Youtube. For some reason Youtube did not like my password so I made a .mp4 and also a .mov file then uploaded to my Irandar Youtube channel. I simply do not know how to get the most out of Youtube. I would be glad to hear from someone with Youtube experience.

I now changed to 60 sec intervals. This will give a bit better timelapse effect. But I was really interested in the different colors, not so much in the movement. To save the photos I need to put them manually from Preview to iPhoto. This just takes one click. 

Now waiting for the sunrise.

Irving

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Try converting with handbrake (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17)
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2016, 12:13:40 AM »
Hi Irving and WeatherCat video makers,

The loss of resolution seems to be when converting for Youtube. For some reason Youtube did not like my password so I made a .mp4 and also a .mov file then uploaded to my Irandar Youtube channel. I simply do not know how to get the most out of Youtube. I would be glad to hear from someone with Youtube experience.

I've had trouble with You-Tube refusing to allow me to login because privacy software I run that limits what sort of cookies the You-Tube site can use.  You might look to see how your browser is configured that might be the real reason for not being able to login. 

How do you convert movies from Quicktime (.mov) to MPEG4 (.mp4) ?

If you haven't tried the open source converter called HandBrake, you might try that:

https://handbrake.fr/

You-Tube still complains about some sort of video format issue when I upload videos converted by HandBrake, but at least the videos upload and can be seen.

Thanks for sharing what you webcam can observe!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Colors off a fog bank (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17)
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 11:42:06 PM »

There hasn't been much to photograph lately, but the storms at the end of November finally brought us some colorful sunrises.  This isn't an "A+" picture, but it is nice nonetheless:

Okay, who's next!  :)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Ominous start to Christmas day (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2016-17)
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2016, 12:02:02 AM »

It was an ominous start to Christmas day on my deck this morning:

However, in this case appearances are deceiving.  The storm that produced these clouds remained out to sea and is supposed to come ashore only in Southern California.  The only notable weather around here is the unusual cold.

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. this particular photo is underexposed by 2/3 EV and used my Canon 70D built-in HDR system set to 1 EV.

glenwood

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW7759
    • KWAGLENW2
    • Glenwood Washington Weather
  • Station Details: macOS Monterey 12.6.8 Davis Vantage Pro2: WeatherCat
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2016, 04:48:43 AM »
I haven't posted a photo here before, but thought I would share the view from my weather station  of Mt Adams in Washington state.  On the morning of December 22, 2016 it was peppermint pink for a few minutes.

idunn

• Strong Breeze
    • icantono2
    • Magpie Hill
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2016, 07:07:25 AM »
Fantastic.  Takes my breath away. You are so close to that big mountain.
Many thanks,
Irving