Author Topic: Website arrangement...  (Read 2569 times)

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
Website arrangement...
« on: October 10, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »
A little help, please.
I've been playing with my weather website, and I have a question for anyone who's visited. The neatest page on the site, I think, is the Gauges and Graphs page (click on the bar that says Gauges and Graphs to go there).
If you go to the site, you are taken to my index page - which could be titled "Today" or some such. For those who want to help out, a question:
Should I re-arrange the pages so the Gauges and Graphs page is the homepage and title the current homepage as Today, or should I leave it the way it is?
And go...

Bill

(click on my banner to go to the website!)

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
Re: Website arrangement...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 04:33:30 PM »
Hi Bill
Personally I would leave it as it is, the present Home page gives relevant information about the current weather conditions, and location information regarding your station, it's easy enough to go to the weather gauges page if somebody wishes to do so.

If the gauges page became the Home page, there could be a possibility that somebody accessing your site may not be able to view the gauges if using a mobile device.

Just my thoughts.

JC

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 09:03:22 PM »
Bill:

I also like your website as is, but for a different reason. It is quite common for users who want to look at gauges to find the tab for them. I do agree with you about the gauges page being the most interesting, but most PWS owners with websites have set them up as you have, on a separate page from the home screen.

By the way, I love the SteelSeries Gauges. They are highly customizable, but also work well out of the box. Don't get me wrong, I love WeatherCat's custom gauges too. I have a few sitting on my second display monitor all the time. But for getting all the gauges in one place on a website, I enjoy what Mark Crossley has given us with the SteelSeries.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Think about what to display (Re: Website arrangement...)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 12:19:22 AM »
Dear Bill, JC, Blick, and WeatherCat web spinners,

Should I re-arrange the pages so the Gauges and Graphs page is the homepage and title the current homepage as Today, or should I leave it the way it is?

I'll also chime in on leaving things the way they are.  I dearly wish I had the time to have the current conditions updated dynamically like Weather Underground and some of the WeatherCat templates.  That wouldn't be so difficult and would make the current conditions more useful.  It just occurred to me that you could use the Additional files feature of WeatherCat to potentially update that page more often so the information would be more current.

The one thing I would suggests (as I should do it as well,) is consider how much information to present on that page.  My current version has everything and the kitchen sink in part because it serves to test some of the AppleScript code.  However, you might ponder what information would be normally interesting to a visitor and perhaps prune back what is less interesting in most cases.  Since this template is very easy to edit, you should feel free to tweak it so that your visitors are most satisfied with it.

Thanks again for using this template!  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 08:58:46 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks for the thoughts - I guess I'll leave the setup as it is, as I hadn't thought about the gauges being first being an issue on mobile - good thinking, that might have been an issue.
I love the template, Edouard, and am very happy with what I've got, and I like the idea of just tweaking to what I think folks will find interesting. I like on yours the station information re: setup of the equipment, so I might add that, but around here the moon and the tide are important, which is why I've got that on the home page (fishing community).
I'll think on it, and keep playing.
Thanks to all who took the time to look and comment.

Bill

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Separate website for mobile? (Re: Website arrangement...)
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:48:14 PM »
Dear Bill and WeatherCat web spinners,

Thanks for the thoughts - I guess I'll leave the setup as it is, as I hadn't thought about the gauges being first being an issue on mobile - good thinking, that might have been an issue.

I don't know if you want the extra complexity, but there is a very old web template designed specifically for smart phones. It is ipwx and you can get a copy from here along with instructions on how to get it to load only for a smart phone:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=213.0

I just double-checked, it is still working fine on my iPhone 6!  [tup]

So that's another possible solution.

Thanks once more for using my Seamonkey templates and for sharing with us some of your beautiful photos!  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 12:39:42 AM »
You should be able to use CSS media queries to help with mobile users. That assumes that CSS is used in the template. If it uses 'inline' styling, that means CSS is likely not used.

Just like HTML, CSS is nothing more than plain text, but it separates styling from the HTML so the common styling commands are written only once rather than in every place the style is used 'inline'. It saves lots of repeated typing and makes styling changes consistent throughout your site. This allows re-writing/editing style changes in only one place rather than the possibly dozens of places on a page or dozens of pages. ;)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 04:39:36 PM »
If the gauges page became the Home page, there could be a possibility that somebody accessing your site may not be able to view the gauges if using a mobile device.

Fortunately, because you are using the SteelSeries Gauges, mobile device viewing is not a problem. The SteelSeries coding accounts for mobile devices and automatically adjusts accordingly. I just viewed your weather site again, Bill, from my iPhone 6s and the gauges look fine, as do their popup graphs.

By the way, I also took another look at your photography website and read some blogs. Great stuff, Bill.
Blick