Author Topic: New version of WeatherLink for Mac.  (Read 5011 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
New version of WeatherLink for Mac.
« on: August 06, 2016, 11:19:57 PM »
Dear WeatherCat Davis station owners,

[rant mode]
 >:( . . . . I HATE Davis's new website!!  I can't find anything easily anymore . . . . .
[/rant mode]

Nonetheless, I did a search to see if Davis had come to its senses and allowed us to simply download WeatherLink for Mac.  No they haven't come to their senses indeed they seem to be continuing to head off in the wrong direction.  Instead there is available an updater to a new version of WeatherLink for Mac.  The release notes are as follows:

What?s new in version 6.0.3

Fixed WeatherLink Network Annual Subscription upload URL.

What?s new in version 6.0.2

Added support for data upload to WeatherLink.com through WeatherLink Network Annual Subscription.
    Fixed Days of Rain calculation in Monthly Climatological Summary Report.
    Fixed Export Records bug.

What?s new in version 5.1.0

Supports new Davis Weather station, Vantage Vue.
    Added USB drivers that support Snow Leopard.
    Fixed a bug that grayed out menu options when Bulletin was running.
    No longer posts excessive messages to the Mac Console.
    Menus moved from the WeatherLink window to top of screen.

If you want to get your hands on the "latest and greatest" . . .  [rolleyes2]  You can get to a download link from this strangely formatted page:

http://www.davisnet.com/resources/weather-monitoring/#support

I downloaded the updater and WeatherLink 6.0.3 does seem to work, but it doesn't seem to do anything better than WeatherLink 5.1.0.  It still has to be opened in 32 bit mode but at least it installs that way.

The only "good thing" is that it doesn't overwrite WeatherLink 5.1 so you can keep using that if you prefer.  For those rare occasions when I need to use WeatherLink, I'll probably stick to 5.1

FYI . . . . . .

Edouard

P.S. After writing this I recalled a puzzling button next to the download button called "Direct Link"  Today I decided to try that and gives a static URL that goes directly to the software updater:

http://www.davisnet.com/support/weatherlink-for-macintosh-update/

Definitely a clumsy way to get a static URL, but . . . . . oh well, . . . .

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
Re: New version of WeatherLink for Mac.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 02:24:30 PM »
I have that version and it isn't great. trust me.   they could do a better job and make it more like their PC.   That is why I use Weathercat.    Their site must have been developed by an eight year old on roids.

Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Davis doesn't love Macs much . . (Re: New version of WeatherLink for Mac. )
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 11:21:17 PM »
Dear Weatheraardvark and WeatherCat IT observers,

I have that version and it isn't great. trust me.   they could do a better job and make it more like their PC.   That is why I use Weathercat.   

Ditto!!   [bounce]

Although even their PC software is really lame.  Ambient Weather and other station manufacturers have better software than Davis.  Davis is a privately held company so they don't have to respond to investors.  But they do seem to rest a little too much on their laurels.

Their site must have been developed by an eight year old on roids.

I agree it does look that way, but I fear there was a lot of planning and market research that went into the new site.  Simple. clean and "matter of fact" websites are going the way of the VCR.  Hype sells and I suppose Davis decided on a seriously hyped up website to drive to station sales.  The fact that they are annoying the existing owners who are seeking technical information in order to help other Davis owners . . . .  >:(  Well,  perhaps someday they'll realize that word of month recommendations have probably sold more Davis stations than anything else.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 01:50:22 AM »
Simple. clean and "matter of fact" websites are going the way of the VCR.
[citation needed]

You want some truly bad web sites? New and old? Just type that into your browser! It'll make the Davis site absolutely charming, and you'll notice that it doesn't demand you have a certain width window!

You want some "Simple, clean" sites, they're just a search away. The problem with getting a great site is usually the customer (who wouldn't know "design" if it walked in the door)! [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 10:05:13 PM »
My guess this is the product of "make it simple to accommodate phones".

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Minimum necessary. (Re: New version of WeatherLink for Mac. )
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 03:44:42 AM »
Dear HantaYo and WeatherCat software regulars,

My guess this is the product of "make it simple to accommodate phones".

There are release notes included with each new version.  I forgot what they say but the changes were the bare-bones needed to make WeatherLink for Mac limp along with the rest of the Davis infrastructure.  However, if you want to be disappointed, read the for yourself!  [rolleyes2]

Oh well,
. . . . .Edouard