Author Topic: Photography and weather  (Read 11267 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Photography and weather
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 12:18:20 AM »
Nice photos Xair.
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 07:02:01 PM »
Heavy rain during heavy sunshine - lasts just a few minutes.  :)

Small view:

Big view:
Photo opens in new window

Yes, Virginia, you DO have an image editing tool!
Is this ok, xair?  ;D
Reinhard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 08:12:52 PM »
Great shot! [cheer] I'd be afraid I'd melt if I got out in a rain like that! [lol] Do you recall the settings used? Maybe in the EXIF data? Looks like a pretty small aperture based on the depth of field and the Sun does provide a nice amount of light! 1/50 or slower? Tripod? Umbrella?! Snorkel!! [lol]

Nothing like a nice, small, Spring/Summer shower while the Sun is shining! Only thing as good is what I call 'thunder snow' where it snows from a some cold but small cumulus clouds while the Sun shines! I you may see more of that than I do! [tup]

BTW, having two views is another way of handling the 'demands' of many people! [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Hadn't thought of that either - thanks! (Re: Photography and weather)
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 11:02:23 PM »
Dear Reinhard, X-Air and WeatherCat shutterbugs, . .

Heavy rain during heavy sunshine - lasts just a few minutes.  :)

Great photos and obvious moment to try to capture rain in an image.  A little sunshine goes a long way to making the drops visible.  Rain and sunshine don't happen every often around here, but the next time it does I'll give it a try.

BTW, having two views is another way of handling the 'demands' of many people! [rolleyes2]

Some online photo management services like SmugMug provide BBS code that you can paste directly so that you have an image that is of a manageable size and still allows people to click on the image if they want something bigger.  Here is how SmugMug works:

Try clicking on that to see.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 03:48:15 PM »
Do you recall the settings used? Maybe in the EXIF data? Looks like a pretty small aperture based on the depth of field and the Sun does provide a nice amount of light! 1/50 or slower?

Using ExifExt extension for Safari
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 04:34:38 PM »
WOW! Those drops must have been very near their terminal velocity! :o Even at 1/197 sec, look how far they travelled! Increasing the ISO and locking the aperture might have allowed for an much faster shutter speed and 'stopped' the drops in mid-air. Those suckers are fast!

After some very deep thought experiments, I think a big part is that they are basically invisible! After all, there is very little, if any, color in the water (except when it is 'raining cats and dogs'). So they really need some strong light that they can refract to make them stand out from any background. Otherwise, they simply transmit the light/color from behind them come through, albeit modified/refracted/distorted. Strong Sun light seems best, but a flash might reflect from the back surface of the drop similar to the 'red eye' problem seen in animal images with the flash on the camera.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 05:36:11 PM »

Thanks for sharing this hint, Steve. I had no idea it even existed. Looks like another extension I need for Safari.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 05:50:28 PM »
You already have an exif viewer/editor "extension" on your Mac. It's called Photos. Select an image and click the 'info' icon in the group of icons in the top, right-hand side of the window.

Of course, most any image editor app also has access to that file.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 07:06:11 PM »
You already have an exif viewer/editor "extension" on your Mac. It's called Photos.

The Exif extension works on any photo on any web page without having to copy it into your photo library or open it with Photos. Simply right-click show exif (or Command-E.) Of course the image has to have EXIF date embedded, and many don't. Either it never had it (any graphic image), it's been stripped when saving, or the hosting company hides it. Then it will show something like this:

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Browser Exif options. (Re: Photography and weather)
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 11:41:54 PM »
Dear Steve, X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

If you want to learn more about this extension, here is the developer's website:

http://phriedrich.de/?module=projects&options=view;0005.xml

Since I've been using Firefox since before Safari existed, that remains my browser of choice.  However, there is one but several Firefox extensions to view Exif data.  After doing a little "shopping" I selected Fxif because it continues to get active support:

http://christian-eyrich.de/mozilla/fxif/

So now you have some choices!

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. Here is how Fxif looks like in action on the image I uploaded to this topic earlier:

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
EXIF Viewer
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 11:45:40 PM »
What I use. Simple, free, works great.
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
Re: EXIF Viewer
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 11:59:50 PM »
What I use. Simple, free, works great.

Thanks. I just downloaded it. It works great and provides a wee bit more information than Photos.
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 04:43:04 PM »
Hello xair, hello all!

Sorry for replying a bit late, I see the Exif-Info is already shown. If I recall right, the picture was taken in Landscape-Mode by the EOS 1100d. Another shot taken with another lens (EF 70-300) and in Sport-Mode, zoomed to the roof where the raindrops are shattering on:

Big view (new window).

Only the small views are edited with Pixelmator (Image size, sharpened). Big views are not edited.

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 05:19:43 PM »
...and the exif info? I assume that "Sport-Mode" uses a faster shutter speed? Again, the abundance of light and the angle of the Sun to the lens' axis is what I think helps 'capture' the drops.

FYI, these images still take up two thirds of my 27" screen... I won't even look at it on an iPhone... it is, after all, 1200 pixels wide! [rolleyes2] I simply don't understand why everyone doesn't follow my rules... [rockon] [goofy] oh well, when I become king... [lol2]

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
EXIF
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2016, 05:48:54 PM »
I want to submit the idea that the EXIF data, which is good for a photographer to keep records of his or her own work, is meaningless to anyone else.

Photography is about light and being there at the right time to capture that light. Ansel Adams was always asked what settings he used for a particular shot and he would answer something off the top of his head, like, "2 minutes at f/64!" The point was that the settings didn't matter nearly as much as the lighting and the being there. To bounce off of that idea, I love the thought of just going out and trying the different settings and finding out what works. One person's settings will be meaningless to another person who is using different equipment in different light. Each photographer is trying to create his own art with his own vision, so others' info and data would be meaningless in helping someone create their own vision.

It's all about the light. As for rain drops, I still like the photos where rain drops are frozen with 1/2000ths shutter speeds with flash or sunlight, and also love the 1/15th speeds for long rain drop streaks.

A clear conscience is a great pillow.