Author Topic: WeatherCat version of the Atkins ipwx Mobile web template for iPod/iPhone  (Read 39563 times)

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
Hi Steve

[woohoo] Finally, after much trials and tribulation, nashing of teeth, throwing ashes over my head, wailing, flogging myself with a birch branch (voted No:1 by sadiomachists monthly mag), it's not only working on my iPad but also on my iPhone.

I decided after everything else I'd tried, to delete the copy of ipwx.html that was in my Web folder and also the on-line copy and replaced the web folder copy with a fresh copy. Working !  [computer]

Oh I've got a copy of PageSpinner like you suggested, better than the other editors I've tried. Thanks  [cheers1]

JC

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Just downloaded & installed it. After translating the corresponding words to german in the "ipwx_Cam.html" it works fine and smooth. I used the "original LWC"-Template till now with no problems, but I thought I might replace it with the newer one. As I said above, it is working well!
 :)
Reinhard

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
I'm glad to hear that it works for you now, John. I can't help but think that trying to open in it three different text editors might have had something to do with it.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

homerc

• Calm
  • Station Details: davis vantage pro 2
I must be missing something but I can not find the index.html file referenced in the instructions.  Do you mean the ipwx.html file?? [banghead]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Hi Homer, and welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

I'm sorry for any confusion with the index file. Let me see if I can clarify what is needed. The mobile web template described in this thread is meant to be used in conjunction with WeatherCat's Custom Web function. (WeatherCat Preferences --> On-Line tab --> Custom Web) If you are using Simple Web or are not using any web page design, it will not work.

Custom Web templates for WeatherCat use an HTML file called index.html as the default home page. To use the mobile web template, the index.html file needs to be modified. The index.html file is not included in this template, as it should already be in your WeatherCat Custom Web folder.

So, for starters, do you already have a custom web page set up and working with WeatherCat? If so, did you use one of the templates included with WeatherCat?

Steve

[EDIT] Ah, I see in another thread, you are trying to use the AJAXeline PHP template. The AJAXeline and Ken's Saratoga PHP templates were designed after the mobile template was created, so I didn't take them into account in my documentation. I think the mobile template will work with PHP, but have not tested it. You would follow the instructions as before, but instead of editing the index.html file, you would make the exact same edit to the index.php file.

Make sense now? Note that you will have to have the AJAXeline web template up and working before the mobile version will function.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

homerc

• Calm
  • Station Details: davis vantage pro 2
Thanks for your reply.  First off I do not have a 'WeatherCat Custom Web folder', it was not in the package that contained WeatherCat Version 1.0. Second no I don't have a custom web page working with WeatherCat.  Trying to set up the AJAXeline page I seem to be missing several jpg files as show up as missing in the Safari activity page.  So are the packages complete or do I need to download some more files?

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
    • N8NOE's Home Page (WX Link of Front )
  • Station Details: OSX Mountain Lion Server, WMR968
Re: WeatherCat version of the Atkins ipwx Mobile web template for iPod/iPhone
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »
Just Trying this out here, And Find I KNOW ZERO to less than that of Webpages..
Trying to get the Humidor Information on this to show and looking for INSIDE Temp/Humidity.
THINK I Got the Right Tags now, but this is a PLUSS along with the iOS app..
Great Stuff..
THANKS..
YOU can look at my Info see if it works on the Phone, just click the GRAPH on my Home page..
Jeff-N8NOE

sbolch

• Calm
    • IVICTORI285
  • Station Details: Lacrosse WS2307
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 04:49:26 AM »
Forgive me, but I am new to this software and new to the Mac (though not inexperienced in web authoring and have used other weather station software for some time). I have followed the instructions in the supplied documentation, the redirect is clearly working (the iPhone sends me to a page that looks like your template), but there is no data, only tags as shown in the attached screen grab - eg. STAT$RAIN:TOTAL:RAINUNITS$

I suspect there is something fairly simple and fundamental I have done wrong or not done (there appears to be no file uploaded to my webserver containing realtime data, for example) but I cannot see what it is.

Help appreciated...

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 02:44:18 PM »
Hi sbolch, and welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

It looks like you've got it started correctly, so let's verify some things:

1 - ipwx folder is on your web space at the same level as the index.html
2 - ipwx contains extensions, jqtouch, themes folders and apple-touch-icon.png
3 - You have enabled Custom Web Pages and entered your FTP settings correctly in the WeatherCat Preferences -->On-Line --> Custom Web tab.
4 - The ipwx.html (or ipwx_Cam.html) template is in your local WeatherCat Custom Web Templates folder (or whatever HTML source target you have set)

If all of the above is correct, you should have good info on your mobile web page. If not, take a look at your WeatherCat Custom Web folder (or wherever you've set as your Set Save Path) Is the ipwx.html (or ipwx_Cam.html) file there? If so, open in in Safari and see if the data has been populated by WeatherCat.

Let us know what you find and we can try to figure out what's going on.

Good luck, and again, welcome!
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

sbolch

• Calm
    • IVICTORI285
  • Station Details: Lacrosse WS2307
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 10:44:10 PM »
Thank you for the welcome and for the advice!

I've used a few different open-source and licensed weather station packages over the years, but I'm particularly impressed by the user and developer community here and the willingness to help. It is appreciated!

I had missed Step 4 in your instructions and have rectified this, but still no joy with live data unfortunately - same error as previously. The local file seems to be being created, but no live data is uploaded. Possibly and FTP addressing error at my end - I also had difficulty with the FTP upload crashing issue reported in other places on this forum - but so far this seems to be fixed with the 1.13 build 101 development patch...

[EDIT] Aha, development build seems to have fixed it! Thanks for the help!  [bounce]

petter

• Calm
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 05:45:11 PM »
First post after installing the WMR200 for my mother. :)

After a few attempts I finally managed to get the ipwx template working on the iphone together with the Simple Web for web clients.
I edited the ipwx.html and saw it was coded as UTF-8 so I went a head and localized it to Swedish.
But after a few updates the localized ??? characters was over written like this:

? = ??
? = ??
? = ??

Which files do I need to change to get the localized text to stay?

Encoded it. All solved :)

Code: [Select]
? = ã
? = ä
? = ö

TechnoMonkey

• Strong Breeze
    • EW9323
    • KTXARANS6
    • TechnoMonkeys Weather
  • Station Details: La Crosse WS-2315 / High Sierra Server / Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8GB Ram / OS 120GB SSD / Home Folder 500GB FireWire / DATA 8TB RAID 5 / 1TB TIME CAPSULE
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 02:33:32 AM »
I finally got the template working on my iPhone locally.  My station name is 'TechnoMonkeys' but it shows as 'Technomonk...',  I am sure it is a CSS tweak to fix, but being less than fluent in CSS, I have been unable to make it happen.

TechnoMonkey

• Strong Breeze
    • EW9323
    • KTXARANS6
    • TechnoMonkeys Weather
  • Station Details: La Crosse WS-2315 / High Sierra Server / Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8GB Ram / OS 120GB SSD / Home Folder 500GB FireWire / DATA 8TB RAID 5 / 1TB TIME CAPSULE
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2015, 09:04:31 PM »
I have added the moon to the ipwx template.

www.technomonkeys.com/Weather/WCFILES/ipwx.php

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Call Desktop Version | Links
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 12:33:04 AM »
Technomonkey, I see you fixed your css issues on the width of the site title. I too had to make an adjustment to get my title to fit, via theme.css | .toolbar > h1 adjusting | "margin: 1px 0 0 -125px;" and "width: 250px;" BTW, nice job adding the extra pages into your mobile site; it looks great!

To Steve, Edouard, and everyone smarter than me: there are two issues with the ipwx.html file that I can't seem to understand. For the time being, I've commented out the script to load the mobile site until I might be able to find a fix.

1) Is there a way to call the desktop version once in the mobile site? The latest versions of iOS allow an option to "Request Desktop Site" which is fantastic, except the ipwx.html file doesn't allow that iOS option to work.

2) I tried to add a link in the footer to "Go back to the main site" but unless a target="_blank" is placed in the link, the links don't work. Examples of footer links not working are at technomonkey's mobile site , canebas's mobile site, and avon-wx's mobile site. Even stranger? The links work in the Desktop Safari browser, but not in the Safari iOS browser. Strange!
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 01:29:28 AM »
CSS can help you avoid two (or more) different versions of a site for different platforms/browsers/devices. Really handy! And no javascript required, either! [cheer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system