Author Topic: Greetings from NE England!  (Read 3460 times)

kenwen

• Calm
    • EW1701
    • ICODURHA7
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 with FARS + WeatherLink IP
Greetings from NE England!
« on: January 27, 2016, 06:09:29 PM »
Hello,
I'm Wendy (an older member I imagine!!!) and I live in Woodham near Newton Aycliffe in Co Durham, North East England with my husband Ken.
My weather station is a Davis Vantage Pro2 plus FARS which we bought in 2012 and is sited 86m above sea level in a large garden.  We seem to enjoy quite an equitable mini climate here, being about 50 miles East of the Pennines and roughly 25 miles west of the East coast of England.
Like johnpolak, a recent new member, I have always stored my data on a PC before, using WeatherLink IP software. However, since purchasing the weather station our (grown up) children finally persuaded us to move on to Macs (2013) - apart from anything else my husband and I are keen photographers and we?ve never looked back!
As a result I?ve been frustrated that I have had to run the Weatherlink software on my old PC. Fortuitously, you might say, this machine has been dying on me over the past couple of months and I was beginning to think we might have to replace it with another PC - until I discovered Weathercat! I?m on cloud 9!!! I managed to migrate over to it this morning, having had a few hiccups yesterday (not recognising my weather station) but mid-morning, eureka, it all started working!
So far I?m more than impressed - particularly delighted that my data is now automatically uploading to the Met Office WOW site, in addition to Wunderground and CWOP (these latter two worked on the PC).
Regards to one and all...

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Greetings from NE England!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 06:58:32 PM »
Wendy:

Welcome to WeatherCat! We are delighted to have you join the forum. You will find the WeatherCatters to be a delightful group of people who are willing to help should you run into a problem. I lived in the UK for a couple of years and loved every one of the 20 days I experienced that were cloud-, wind- and rain-free.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 08:21:42 PM »
Wendy,

Welcome to the WeatherCat forum! You will find an agreeable bunch of weather enthusiasts here, as well as active participation by Stu, the developer. I'm glad you've found us, and hope you continue to participate.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: Greetings from NE England!)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 11:09:23 PM »
Dear Wendy, Blick, Steve, and WeatherCat welcome wagon . . . . 

First things first, welcome to the WeatherCat forum Wendy!

My weather station is a Davis Vantage Pro2 plus FARS which we bought in 2012 and is sited 86m above sea level in a large garden.

That's a very nice station setup!  Glad you decided to get a quality station and I assume you are pleased with it!

However, since purchasing the weather station our (grown up) children finally persuaded us to move on to Macs (2013) - apart from anything else my husband and I are keen photographers and we?ve never looked back!
As a result I?ve been frustrated that I have had to run the Weatherlink software on my old PC. Fortuitously, you might say, this machine has been dying on me over the past couple of months and I was beginning to think we might have to replace it with another PC - until I discovered Weathercat! I?m on cloud 9!!!

. . . .

So far I?m more than impressed - particularly delighted that my data is now automatically uploading to the Met Office WOW site, in addition to Wunderground and CWOP (these latter two worked on the PC).

So glad that you have found WeatherCat to your liking!  We certainly think that WeatherCat is the best weather station management software for the Mac and I'm sure it doesn't hurt that Stu (Stuart Ball, WeatherCat developer) is located not that far away in Scotland.  So WeatherCat is a program with deep UK roots.

Once more welcome aboard!

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 04:28:52 PM »
Oops! I somehow missed your joining this mostly gentlemanly group! So...
Welcome AboaRd, Wendy!

If you don't mind, tell us how and why weather interests you.

I'll have to hide, from my wife, any posts you make! She's an Anglophile and it's hard enough to keep her from moving to England as it is. If she finds a lady she could befriend, she might decide to finally leave!! If you get any messages from a "Judy" just send them to "Trash" and/or ignore them! If she left me now I'd probably be useless, she's already put 50 years of training on me! [lol2]

Are you far from the National Railway Museum at Shildon? I've been to the York museum, decades ago.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 05:03:34 PM »
Welcome!
Reinhard

kenwen

• Calm
    • EW1701
    • ICODURHA7
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 with FARS + WeatherLink IP
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 03:34:52 PM »
Thanks folks for all your welcomes...after couple of frustrating days at the start when it lost my station a few times, all seems to have settled down and has been ticking along nicely now, phew! Been having some work done in our home this past week but hope to find time soon to learn how to set up banners/website etc. (and use a forum properly, hope I'm doing it right today!)
xairbusdriver - yes - we live just 2 miles from the Railway Museum at Shildon - have been several times (mainly when the grandchildren visit!).
Gorgeous day here in the NE after a windy day yesterday (max gust 47 mph, most I've recorded here since getting this station 3 years ago).

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Lady of the House
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 04:37:18 PM »
She's an Anglophile and it's hard enough to keep her from moving to England as it is.

Does she answer the phone, "XAirbus Residence, Lady of the house speaking." ??
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 08:22:16 PM »
Does she answer the phone, "XAirbus Residence, Lady of the house speaking." ??
No, she let's the butler do that... just like Hyacinth would, if she'd had one. [removed link to the now castly photobucket.com site] [lol] I just try to stay out of the way as best I can.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:43:52 PM by xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system