Author Topic: New convert from Weather Display  (Read 8413 times)

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
  • It is far better to wear out than to rust away.
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
New convert from Weather Display
« on: July 15, 2015, 05:49:24 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am Alan Rowley and I live in Selston, Nottinghamshire, UK. I own a Vantage Pro2 with UV and solar sensors.

For the last six years, I have been running the Windows version of Weather Display in a Parallels Virtual Machine on my creaking old MacBook Pro. I have wanted to ditch Windows for ages, but I never had the courage to change to the Mac version of WD until I had some problem with my MacBook Pro, which I still haven't got to the bottom of.

Anyway, neither the Windows version of WD, nor the Mac version, would communicate with the data logger. Incidentally, neither would WeatherCat. I eventually put it down to the latest USBtoUART drivers being incompatible with my old Mac, but that's a guess.

In desperation, I moved the weather station console to my new Mac Mini and installed WD for Mac, and WeatherCat. I was very impressed with WeatherCat and decided to go with that, despite 'losing' six years of data. The data is still there, and when I have completed my website, I will ensure that users can easily find the old data.

I also decided to go with the Leuven template as I felt that my old site needed a makeover. So, not only do I have to get to grips with WeatherCat, I also need to learn the new template. You can see my efforts at the links below ...

Old site | New site

I know I have a long way to go to get back to where I was, and I will certainly be asking for advice. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying WeatherCat, which has now been running for three days with no errors or crashes.

ALAN

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: New convert from Weather Display
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 06:50:35 PM »
Welcome AboaRd, Mr. Rpwley!

I doubt you'll get any help from me; I ask a lot of questions but rarely have answers for others! But I can certainly attest to this being a great place to present questions and problems. You'll have almost direct contact with both the WC and the template Devs. And there are probably people here that have even used WD! Now, I'm off to visit your two sites! 8)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: New convert from Weather Display)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 10:43:21 PM »
Dear Alan, X-Air, and WeatherCat welcome wagon . . .

Indeed welcome Alan to the WeatherCat forum and to the fans of WeatherCat!

For the last six years, I have been running the Windows version of Weather Display in a Parallels Virtual Machine on my creaking old MacBook Pro.

. . . .

In desperation, I moved the weather station console to my new Mac Mini and installed WD for Mac, and WeatherCat. I was very impressed with WeatherCat and decided to go with that, despite 'losing' six years of data.

If you have the data in Weather Display format, you might be able to import it into WeatherCat.  Try doing some searches of this forum.  This problem hasn't come up in a long time, but I believe it has been solved at least once.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 11:35:52 PM »
Thanks Edouard,

I will investigate in the morning. It's getting a little late here now. However, I was under the impression that you couldn't import WD data, but I've put it on my growing list a things to do.

ALAN.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 11:47:05 PM »
Alan, welcome to WeatherCat. We are glad to have you here.

I took a pretty good look at your old and new websites. I like the changes. I generally like the Leuven Template.

The one thing that I like the most about WeatherDisplay is that it supports the Davis Vantage2 console online. Although that is something that only a Davis weather geek finds fascinating, since I am one, it fascinates me. No WeatherCatter has yet tackled that here. I am waiting for Reinhard or Steve to do this, as Edouard is too busy installing nuclear powered headlights on his old Buick.

Welcome aboard, mate.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 12:34:09 AM »
Hi Alan, and welcome to the WeatherCat forum. I recognize your name from the Weather-Watch forum, from when I tried tackling WeatherDisplay for Mac. I'm glad you've found us.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 06:42:47 AM »
Hi Steve,

It took a while for me to dump Weather Display, but I'm glad I've finally rid my life of Windows. I know WeatherCat doesn't offer the same features as WD, and there aren't as many scripts, but the program is very stable and I can rely on it to keep running when I'm away from the machine. I can live without the missing features.

To be honest, I have struggled with the Leuven template, but I'm getting to grips with that now, and I hope my site will soon resemble something similar to what I used to have.

ALAN

awilltx

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 12:09:42 PM »
Welcome to WeatherCat, Alan...from another Alan!

I use the Leuven templates on my site and might be able to offer some help as well. It takes a while to get everything as you like it, but that's part of the fun.

Alan from Dallas

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 12:14:14 PM »
Great site Alan. That's how I would like mine to look. I may have to pinch a few ideas.

I've been struggling a little today due to an almost sleepless night. I think I should have a break for a while.

ALAN

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 08:21:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Alan! Love the new web layout. Impressive job.

I'm the resident Arkansas Hillbilly, here. I just like hanging out with the high IQ types in the hopes it might rub off.

Herb

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 09:29:30 AM »
Hi Bull,

Thanks for your comments. I'm very impressed with WeatherCat, and I will be registering when my trial expires. I'm still finding new features in the program, and although I'm disappointed that I can't import my six years of Weather Display data, I'm happy to have finally rid my household of Windows.

At the moment, I am spending all my spare time setting-up the Leuven template and adapting it to my tastes and my site. I have dozens of page on my old site that I will be transferring into the template as time permits.

ALAN.

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 11:11:29 AM »
Program purchased and registered. Well pleased with the software and glad I made the switch.

ALAN.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 04:43:42 PM »
Well done, mate.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 06:53:22 AM »
 [cheers1]
Cheers!
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
You'll like da' Cat . . (Re: New convert from Weather Display)
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 10:56:33 PM »
Dear Alan, Blick, Herb, and WeatherCat fans, . . .

Program purchased and registered. Well pleased with the software and glad I made the switch.

You'll like da' Cat! . . .  [WCSmall]  Even if, you don't like cats!! . . .  [cat] . . . .  [lol2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]