Author Topic: iPhoto is dead . . . what you'all doin' . . .  (Read 18816 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
iPhoto is dead . . . what you'all doin' . . .
« on: April 11, 2015, 10:49:52 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs . . . .

Apple has sprung their new app Photos and the reviews are  . . .  good for teenie boppers, bad for serious photographers.  So the time is coming where those of us with more serious photographic ambitions to make our change.  Have any of you already done this?  Any leading contenders?  Any advice about the alternatives that we might not be aware of?

Curious minds want to know!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: iPhoto is dead . . . what you'all doin' . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 04:19:43 AM »
If you're currently using iPhoto, I think Photos will be a step up in editing capability, but you will have to get used to a different way of storing and sorting photos. The new way is more intuitive, but the old way has been around for years and is what everyone knows how to use. If you are an Aperture user, it looks to me like it might be time to migrate to Adobe Lightroom. But Aperture will be fine for a while. It still works well, but will will no longer be updated.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 06:37:02 AM »
OK, I just tried Photos, after reading your post, Edouard. ? I must say, I like it!

You don't have to use iCloud storage. It defaults to off. I could see where that might be desirable if you were just getting started. But, with well over 4,000 images already, I'm not going to go that route.

I see it, as well as iPhoto and Aperture, as more of a photo manager than a photo editor. But, the editing capabilities it has are very well designed. Well? at least the ones I used so far.

I did find a bug in it. When deleting photos from full screen mode, it occasionally will hang on the image after verifying the delete. Waiting doesn't produce anything. Trying to change image doesn't work, but exiting full screen does. There you find that the image has been moved to the dead image pile and all is back to normal.

I'll probably switch to it after further evaluation.

[rock]
Herb

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 06:45:36 AM »
If you currently using iPhoto, I think Photos will be a step up in editing capability, but you will have to get used to a different way of storing and sorting photos. The new way is more intuitive, but the old way has been around for years and is what everyone knows how to use. If you are an Aperture user, it looks to me like it might be time to migrate to Adobe Lightroom. But Aperture will be fine for a while. It still works well, but will will no longer be updated.

I think you nailed it Blick!

I've used Adobe's software since the original Pagemaker and Photoshop but photo cataloging and image manipulation isn't nearly as intuitive as Apple's Aperture appeared to be for new users. But Adobe's software has always provided more capabilities for advanced users and they supported new cameras/formats quicker. Still, I bet Apple's Photos will be entirely adequate for a huge segment of their user base. I guess it just wasn't economically justifiable to continue developing to compete with Adobe's high-end photo software since that's a very narrow market slice.

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 07:00:29 AM »
Edouard, I expect you'll eventually decide on Adobe's offerings but if you really just need a robust photo manipulation package, take a look at DxO Labs (www.dxo.com/us). I have several friends who really like OpticsPro and the price. But you still need to consider the cataloging part of the equation.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Looking for robust photo archiving (Re: iPhoto is dead . . . )
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 11:27:39 PM »
Dear Blick, Herb, Felix, and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Thanks for your thoughts.  Actually my main interest (and concern) isn't for image editing.  I'm still very old school I try to take the picture I want instead of getting close and post-processing it.  I just don't have the time these days to fine-tune images.  On the other hand the reviews I saw with Photos is that they removed a number of features to find images and that I find distressing.  I have a little over 6700 images in my iPhoto archive so that's enough that I need as many ways as possible to locate a particular image.  Photos doesn't seem to be intended for someone doing the sort of things I do with photos.

Indeed, I seem to have little choice but Adobe Lightroom.  Still, I thought I would ask just in case you guys had spotted anything more interesting.

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 03:24:00 AM »
I think you should give it a try. Just don't let it migrate your main iPhoto library until you're sure you want to change to the new program. In iPhoto, create a small new library of photos and save it to be your test library during the trial run. So far, everything I've tried to do was easy to figure out. I've only experienced a few annoyances, and they were minor and likely to be handled in subsequent updates. Like, when you delete a photo, you have to [every time] answer an "Are you sure? ? dialogue, before it actually doesn't even delete the photo but moves it to death row with an execution date. There's no preference to turn it off.

It keeps all of your existing albums. I haven't dug in on this to be able to explain it in detail, but I saw that the albums were there. Existing slideshows become projects. The Faces recognition algorithm works better than before. Photos in the main list are displayed chronologically, which in my opinion is a better organizational foundation than the Events in iPhoto.

This is the first iteration of Photos. I see it as a cleaner organizational framework to be built upon further in the future.

On startup, it will migrate the photo library of your choosing. Don't let it have the big set of photos until you've decided.

[computer]
Herb

Bluesky51

• Calm
    • Narrywoolan*
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2. iMac 2017, OSX 12.2
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 08:12:38 AM »
Never really liked iPhoto, back in its early days it was very clunky. At the time I used iView MediaPro 3, no longer around but does still work on Intel Macs.

For the last few years have used Abode Lightroom. I like to be able to control were my images are stored, have a separate HD on the MacPro just for images, now over 60,000. Plus like Felix I?ve been an Adobe user for many years so the interface wasn?t too much of a challenge. I use Lightroom 5.7.1. (the standalone version not the cloud thing) as a library tool and basic image editing, sharpening & noise reduction, exposure, size changes, spot removal and red-eye reduction, then Photoshop CS5 for the more serious stuff.

Like any new software there will always be a steep learning curve, each individual needs to figure out what works best for them. The forums on dpreview.com have some very good information if that helps.

You can download a 30 trial of Lightroom here https://creative.adobe.com/products/download/lightroom

Noel

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Events are an important organizer for me. (Re: iPhoto is dead )
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 10:46:34 PM »
Dear Herb, Noel, and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Photos in the main list are displayed chronologically, which in my opinion is a better organizational foundation than the Events in iPhoto.

Unfortunately losing events is a deal-breaker for me.  I'm an old film guy and I think in terms of rolls of film.  The first digital photos I ever had were the CDs that came when you developed your pictures.  So I definitely want that extra layer or organization.

For the last few years have used Abode Lightroom. I like to be able to control were my images are stored, have a separate HD on the MacPro just for images, now over 60,000. Plus like Felix I?ve been an Adobe user for many years so the interface wasn?t too much of a challenge. I use Lightroom 5.7.1. (the standalone version not the cloud thing) as a library tool and basic image editing, sharpening & noise reduction, exposure, size changes, spot removal and red-eye reduction, then Photoshop CS5 for the more serious stuff.

Like any new software there will always be a steep learning curve, each individual needs to figure out what works best for them. The forums on dpreview.com have some very good information if that helps.

You can download a 30 trial of Lightroom here https://creative.adobe.com/products/download/lightroom

Sounds like indeed a reasonable safe choice.  When I have time I'll indeed download the free trial.  Thanks for the tip!  [tup]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 12:33:00 AM »
Never used iPhoto for much, scarred me away with its early loss of Libraries and absolutely no control over where I wanted them to be, anyway! Never thought of it as an editor and the early versions were not photo managers, they just did everything behind your back! ::)

Bought Aperture a few years ago when Apple had a sale on it. Didn't know how much better Lightroom was! Fortunately, LR is still available without their stupid subscription model, at least for now! [cheer] Who knows how long that will last?! [banghead] LR even has an "Organizer" app along with the editor. The nice thing about LR is that you can store your images any way and anywhere you want, but it saves your edits in (basically XML) files and applies them when you view, export, or print. This way, you don't end up with multiple copies/versions of huge files; the original is never actually touched. I think even iPhoto switched to this method.

Even though I have a great camera now, much of my editing is for manipulating/adding layers, so I still use Photoshop Elements (could never justify the full version of PS). I now have v.11, but 13 is the latest one. Adobe used Elements (6 or 7?) to create the new GUI for that app, so much of the code is actually in PSE! However, the only way to access many functions is through PS Actions. Since those usually cost real money, I just stick with the basics. Lightroom gives me more control if I'm just dealing with self-composed images.

For free pixel editing, there is still <GraphicConverter>, but the learning curve grows steeper with each new, more powerful release.

Good luck, Edouard
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 03:26:31 AM »
Yep! I've used Photoshop Elements as well as GraphicConverter. PSE is (or was. It's been a long time. I balked at their $59 upgrade costs early in their game) a close second to Photoshop and a very capable editor. With GraphicConverter, the updates couldn't keep up with the OS, so I burned that one. iPhoto was a bit cumbersome. At first, having all photos in one library didn't fit my plan. Then, I found myself having to pull together multiple shoots into Events, in order to conform to the Event model. Clunky. I prefer the way Photos does it with chronological order. Makes more sense to me. YMMV.

I'm happy with Photos.

[rockon]
Herb

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 07:26:18 PM »
Here's a good review from Walt Mossberg. He covered it better than I could. - Herb

Review: Photos, Apple?s Replacement for iPhoto

By Walt Mossberg
April 14, 2015, 3:00 AM PDT

When Apple introduced iPhoto in 2002, it was a tremendous boon to casual photographers. Rather than focusing on tweaking individual photos to perfection, it was centered on easy organizing of the many images people were beginning to accumulate via digital cameras.

But as a tidal wave of photos arrived from smartphones in recent years, the iPhoto software became overwhelmed. It was often slow to scroll through thousands of pictures, and its minimal editing tools seemed increasingly inadequate.

Now, at last, Apple has replaced iPhoto with a new, free Mac app called simply Photos. It?s much faster, less cluttered and has more editing options, yet still makes them simple to use. It?s essentially a Mac app that catches up to the superior look and feel of the Photos apps on the iPhone and iPad, but with greater power.

More?
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
GraphicConverter okay Photos isn't. (Re: iPhoto is dead . . . )
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 12:10:03 AM »
Howdy Herb and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

With GraphicConverter, the updates couldn't keep up with the OS, so I burned that one.

I'm surprised that you had any problems with GraphicConverter.  I've been using it since at least OS 8 and it has always worked well for me.

iPhoto was a bit cumbersome. At first, having all photos in one library didn't fit my plan. Then, I found myself having to pull together multiple shoots into Events, in order to conform to the Event model. Clunky. I prefer the way Photos does it with chronological order. Makes more sense to me. YMMV.

One man's meat is another man's poison I suppose.  I definitely like pulling photos together into events that make sense.  For example when I do some project on my trusty wagon, I start by taking pictures and giving them somewhat arbitrary event names.  When the project is complete that becomes the event and group the photos by project name.  That way I can easily look up exactly the steps I took to modify the stereo or what not.

Here's a good review from Walt Mossberg. He covered it better than I could. - Herb

Review: Photos, Apple?s Replacement for iPhoto

I definitely think Apple has put some thought into Photos and their goal with it was causal photographers, not folks with fancy DSLRs and interests to match.  I wouldn't be surprised if Photos is actually designed to make it harder for people with other cameras to integrate them into their everyday life.  Even subtle obstacles would be very much in Apple's interest.  These days everyone carries their phone everywhere - why have any other camera?

So Photos is the program that Apple wants going with OS X.  It is their vision of social media and how people interact with each other.  Those sorts of people don't spend months trying to get the most eloquent photo of a sunrise or try to document how to restore a classic car.  It is very much a tool for photos "in the now."  Looks like I'll be looking elsewhere for a photo solution.

Edouard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 10:00:38 PM »
Hi All iPhoto users
 So can someone tell me what is the latest version of iPhoto?
I have version 9.6 and it won't work on Yosemite 10.10.3
So does this mean iphoto won't work at all on Yosemite.

cheers

[cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Latest is 9.6.1 (Re: iPhoto is dead)
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 10:37:08 PM »
Hi Randall and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

So can someone tell me what is the latest version of iPhoto?

It appears that the latest is 9.6.1.  It does work fine with OS 10.10.3

I have version 9.6 and it won't work on Yosemite 10.10.3
So does this mean iphoto won't work at all on Yosemite.

See if you can update to 9.6.1.  You should be able to do that with the App Store application.  You might have some other problem which is preventing iPhoto from running.  It is always a good idea to run Disk Utility just in case you have some data corruptions issues.