Author Topic: Sleeping computer  (Read 11404 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Sleeping computer
« on: March 14, 2015, 12:02:36 AM »
I discovered today that, according to WeatherCat, my iMac was sleeping. This is the fourth time this has happened to me and I am going to explain what I found and what I did.

I have my iMac set to prevent computer from sleeping. See attached screenshot. I pressed the space bar on my keyboard to restore the display and found that WeatherCat was inactive. When I clicked on WeatherCat to make it the active window, it "woke up." See attached screenshot of entries I copied from the console log. It looks to me like the iMac was asleep (or at least WeatherCat was asleep) for a wee bit longer than two hours.

To attempt a fix for the the sleeping problem, I did three things:
  • I selected Restore Defaults on the Energy Saver options in Yosemite System Preferences.
  • I reinstalled Yosemite.
  • I adjusted the Energy Saver settings to the way I had them set in the first place (Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off).
I'll just have to wait and see if it happens again, but in the meantime, if anyone can think of something else I can check, or if I have misinterpreted the Console messages, I would appreciate your thoughts.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: Sleeping computer
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 04:39:08 AM »
Blick, are you using UPS software to automatically shutdown the computer before the UPS runs down in the event of an extended power outage? If so, your UPS software may need to be updated for Yosemite.

That's all I got. Perhaps someone else has a better suggestion.

[cheer]
Herb

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 09:39:04 AM »
Hi Blick,

Although it should not be an issue anymore (it used to be at somepoint), you may want to try and disable App Nap to see if it has any influence?

Can easily be disabled by locating the application and pressing Command + I (or choose "Get Info" from the contextual menu). In the Get Info window, check the option to "Prevent App Nap" and you're done.

Jos

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 03:26:36 PM »
Herb:

For several versions now, OS X does not use third-party UPS "drivers", but UPS shutdown control is built into the operating system by Apple. I called the manufacturer of my UPS to confirm. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jos:

Goeden dag, mijnheer. I think you are right, App Nap should no longer be an issue. Nevertheless, I took your suggestion anyway and disabled it. Thanks.

Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 09:41:45 PM »
Duh? What's app nap?
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Curious-er . . . (Re: Sleeping computer)
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 09:57:28 PM »
Howdy Blick, Herb, Jos, and WeatherCat seekers of an OS X "bug trap. . . . "  [rolleyes2]

I discovered today that, according to WeatherCat, my iMac was sleeping. This is the fourth time this has happened to me and I am going to explain what I found and what I did.

. . . . .

I'll just have to wait and see if it happens again, but in the meantime, if anyone can think of something else I can check, or if I have misinterpreted the Console messages, I would appreciate your thoughts.

I'm afraid you should be thinking along Randall's point of view . . . .

Do you see anything in the console log that might indicate what was happening when your computer "fell asleep?"  This might actually be due to a bug somewhere and your computer effectively "responded to the crisis" by going to sleep.  Another thing to check is the crash reports.  If there were some programs that crashed that might point to the culprit.

Sorry, this isn't the sort of thing that is building up my confidence!

Edouard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 10:31:35 PM »
Hi Blick
 As Jos posted if you reinstalled Yosemite then you do need to have that in the get info of WeatherCat that you have App Napp  is checked or it will go to sleep if the Cat is not processing something

cheers  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 03:26:14 AM »
Duh? What's app nap?

App Nap was introduced in Mavericks as an energy saver. Basically, the OS X can tell when you have an app open that you aren't looking at because it is hidden underneath another open window. If the hidden app isn't doing something active like downloading a file, the operating system slows the app down and returns it to full speed when you come back to look at it. For a short while it was an issue with WeatherCat, but Stu fixed something in the code so that WeatherCat does not take App Naps. You can read about App Nap here: https://www.apple.com/osx/advanced-technologies/

But just in case, I did disable App Nap for WeatherCat.

Edouard, you are right; I should have looked in the console log. I did look at the log, but I was filtering it only for WeatherCat. It never dawned on me to look at the unfiltered log. Next time...
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 08:18:06 AM »
Thanks Blick! That sheds a light on the subject. How could I have gone so long without knowing? Oh well. That's just the way I roll.  [roll]
Herb

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 11:42:06 AM »
Hi Blick
 Old mines forget very easy these days [biggrin]

cheers

[cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Log files are still there. (Re: Sleeping computer)
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 09:41:22 PM »
Howdy Blick, Herb, Randall, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Edouard, you are right; I should have looked in the console log. I did look at the log, but I was filtering it only for WeatherCat. It never dawned on me to look at the unfiltered log. Next time...

Actually you have the old logs available.  In the Console application scroll down to near the end of the side bar and you'll start to see files with names like system.log.1.gz.  On my Mac, I have files all the way down to system.log.20.gz which takes me back to March 8.  If you click on any of those files you can see the messages for that day.  If the event happened within the range of files you have, that would allow you to do some retrospective sleuthing.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 10:17:31 PM »
Thanks Edouard. I followed your instructions and did find the appropriate log. I don't know what it means, but I copied the console messages from the last good upload until I woke it up a couple of hours later. It looks to me like the iMac went to sleep. Perhaps Stu can interpret the attached.
Blick

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 12:37:24 PM »
Have you considered resetting the SMC and PRAM?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 02:08:54 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Felix. I had not thought of that. I can't see how resetting (in my case) the NVRAM would affect sleeping. However, definitely the SMC could be involved, so I have now reset it.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Kernel panic? (Re: Sleeping computer)
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 09:44:47 PM »
Dear Blick, Felix, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Thanks Edouard. I followed your instructions and did find the appropriate log. I don't know what it means, but I copied the console messages from the last good upload until I woke it up a couple of hours later. It looks to me like the iMac went to sleep. Perhaps Stu can interpret the attached.

Hmm, that long string of entries that look like this:

Mar 13 12:48:18 MightyCraic-iMac kernel[0]: [0x524c51000, 0x14000]

Make me wonder if this isn't some sort of kernel panic (serious crash of the core of the operating system.)  Apparently it recovered since you were able to get your machine running again.  I am puzzled.  Normally the logs have the words: "kernel panic" when there is one.  On the other hand, spewing out a bunch of incomprehensible hexadecimal to the log files is definitely not something the kernel should be normally doing either.

I'll be interested to see what Stu thinks after he returns from the wilderness.

If it happens again, you might need to get some help from Apple.  This could be some sort of a hardware problem.

Bummer dude, . . . . Edouard